Who needs a college degree, exactly?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I am in the process of moving from one residence to another. For a variety of needs I have been in contact with several contractors of various specialties...landscapers, brick masons, HVAC people, painters, a plumber an electrician...

These guys (all guys) are making a ton of money. They have vacation homes, boats, collector cars, and families that they are supporting. While they are mainly mid-career, it is impressive what they have accomplished. Most learned their trades either on their own or in the Military. They not only know what they are doing technically, they know how to organize their business.

No college. What for?

I am in the process of moving from one residence to another. For a variety of needs I have been in contact with several contractors of various specialties...landscapers, brick masons, HVAC people, painters, a plumber an electrician...

These guys (all guys) are making a ton of money. They have vacation homes, boats, collector cars, and families that they are supporting. While they are mainly mid-career, it is impressive what they have accomplished. Most learned their trades either on their own or in the Military. They not only know what they are doing technically, they know how to organize their business.

No college. What for?
I bet if I pull credit reports on everyone you speak of in your post, half will be a disaster on paper

Of course you can be a financial disaster with a degree......lol

I paid about $1200 for books and test for my then boyfriend to become a contractor some 25 years ago and it boomed. 🙃 I payed off my student loans in August.

I'm glad I got a degree, but I wouldn't mind working as an electrician or a plumber or something like that.

Me and my sister and brother all have College degrees only because not a day went by that our mother did not started with college degree college degree college degree...WTF!!!!!!!!!!

yep that's how it was.:mad:

Last edited:

No college. What for?
They have degrees in ambition

No college. What for?
Yeap...I have tried to tell a number of young men to go to trade school.

EVERYBODY has it pounded into their head from childhood that you are a failure unless you go to college.

Unless you are going to be a doctor, lawyer, engineer or some other vocation that requires extensive education, no point in it.

No college. What for?

So when their knees and backs are shot they will still have the brains to run a business maybe. BTW, a lot of these people actually do learn their trade through certificate programs at community colleges.

Nobody said a college degree is the only path to success.
But it sure helps and qualifies you for positions you can’t get without one.
There are more millionaires with college degrees than without them.

No college. What for?
Ralph... Ralph needs a college degree

I recall one member here saying that he was as expert on the law as anyone that went to law school because he had Google.

Many trades people struggle to find consistent work.
Lead contractors can make big bucks. Those who work for them struggle with feast or famine employment, seasonal work,on the job injuries, no benefits and no retirement package

Last edited:
I recall one member here saying that he was as expert on the law as anyone that went to law school because he had Google.

I am an expert on the law because I watch Judge Judy every day

Forum List

Back