Who is your favorite televised or online chef?

What about Eric Ripert...? Isn't he supposed to be one of the best?

When it comes to fish, he is the best. Amazingly, his restaurant Le Bernadin has been voted Best Restaurant In NYC for well over 10 years. And there are some great NYC restaurants.

My favorites to watch are Gordon Ramsay, Cajun chefs Paul Prudhomme & Justin Wilson, Anthony Bourdain, Molecular Gastronomist Wylie Dufresne, and Spanish chef Jose Andres. They are all very entertaining.

But as far as who are the best chefs?

Ferran Adrià of El Bulli, in Northern Spain is probably the best chef in the world. From Wiki:

The restaurant has a limited season: the 2010 season, for example, will run from June 15 to December 20. Bookings for the next year are taken on a single day after the closing of the current season. It accommodates only 8,000 diners a season, but gets more than two million requests. The average cost of a meal is €250; the restaurant itself has operated at a loss since 2000, with operating profit coming from El Bulli-related books and lectures by Adrià. As of April 2008 the restaurant employed 42 chefs.

Restaurant Magazine judged El Bulli to be Number One on its Top 50 list of the world's best restaurants for a record five times — in 2002, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009, and #2 in 2010.​

Thomas Keller of The French Laundry, in Napa, CA is probably next.

After that would be Heston Blumenthal, owner of The Fat Duck in London, voted the Best Restaurant In The World in 2005, and the restaurant I most want to eat at before I die.

After that, you get the rest of the top tier: Eric Ripert, Gordon Ramsay, Marco Pierre White, Jacques Pépin, René Redzepi, Joël Robuchon.

After that, IMO, is the Emeril Lagasse/Wolfgang Puck/Alice Waters/Tom Colicchio /Rocco DiSpirito/Jamie Oliver/Hubert Keller crowd.

When it comes to fish, he is the best. Amazingly, his restaurant Le Bernadin has been voted Best Restaurant In NYC for well over 10 years. And there are some great NYC restaurants.

My favorites to watch are Gordon Ramsay, Cajun chefs Paul Prudhomme & Justin Wilson, Anthony Bourdain, Molecular Gastronomist Wylie Dufresne, and Spanish chef Jose Andres. They are all very entertaining.

Ferran Adrià of El Bulli, in Northern Spain is probably the best chef in the world. From Wiki:

The restaurant has a limited season: the 2010 season, for example, will run from June 15 to December 20. Bookings for the next year are taken on a single day after the closing of the current season. It accommodates only 8,000 diners a season, but gets more than two million requests. The average cost of a meal is €250; the restaurant itself has operated at a loss since 2000, with operating profit coming from El Bulli-related books and lectures by Adrià. As of April 2008 the restaurant employed 42 chefs.

Restaurant Magazine judged El Bulli to be Number One on its Top 50 list of the world's best restaurants for a record five times — in 2002, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009, and #2 in 2010.​

After that would be Heston Blumenthal, owner of The Fat Duck in London, voted the Best Restaurant In The World in 2005, and the restaurant I most want to eat at before I die.[/U][/I][/B]After that, you get the rest of the top tier: Eric Ripert, Gordon Ramsay, Marco Pierre White, Jacques Pépin, René Redzepi, Joël Robuchon.

After that, IMO, is the Emeril Lagasse/Wolfgang Puck/Alice Waters/Tom Colicchio /Rocco DiSpirito/Jamie Oliver/Hubert Keller crowd.

well honey hush ...i was nearly impressed to you went on about the fat duck

Heston Blumenthal's Fat Duck shuts in health scare | Life and style | guardian.co.uk

rocco di spritio? really? what a hoot...

I'm partial to Italian and Chinese foods so my favorites are Lidia (Lidia's Kitchen), Mario (Mario Battaglia) and Ming (Simply Ming).

Alton Brown is sometimes worth tolerating his silliness and distracting redundancies. But unless his subject is particularly interesting he's just too annoying to stay with.

I miss Julia Childs and look forward to watching her re-runs. Meryll Streep did a really good job of playing her in Julia and Julie. Nice movie.

After that would be Heston Blumenthal, owner of The Fat Duck in London, voted the Best Restaurant In The World in 2005, and the restaurant I most want to eat at before I die.[/U][/I][/B]After that, you get the rest of the top tier: Eric Ripert, Gordon Ramsay, Marco Pierre White, Jacques Pépin, René Redzepi, Joël Robuchon.

well honey hush ...i was nearly impressed to you went on about the fat duck

Heston Blumenthal's Fat Duck shuts in health scare | Life and style | guardian.co.uk

rocco di spritio? really? what a hoot...

Yup. They had to shut down the place because 40 patrons became ill, but the end result of health investigations found no hint of food poisoning. They still do not know the cause. But it's irrelevent. He's one of the top 5 chefs in the world, and dining at his restaurant is said to be a magical experience, with items like his famous bacon and egg ice cream.

You should read Toby Young's review, in the London Evening Standard:

Still the world's best | Restaurants

A snip:

Blumenthal has achieved a mastery over smell and flavour that borders on the supernatural, with the different qualities of a particular dish revealing themselves sequentially, rather than simultaneously.

Sean and I consumed our oysters in a single mouthful and then sat back and waited for the accompanying sauces and whatnot - passion fruit jelly, horseradish cream, lavender - to kick in. The effect was almost psychoactive, as if we'd taken a small pill and then, after a suitable interval, been whisked to the moon.

Such extraordinary experiences don't come cheap - the total cost of our meal, including wine, was £339.75 - but the fact that The Fat Duck still loses money at these prices proves that no expense has been spared when it comes to research and development.

Heston Blumenthal is like a cross between Professor Brainstorm and Willy Wonka and, contrary to all appearances, this ordinary-looking room in the heart of the Home Counties is his psychedelic chocolate factory. Don't be put off by the weirdness of the menu - The Fat Duck really is the best restaurant in the world.​

And Rocco is definitely third-tier, although I would prolly pick his Italian food over anyone else's, including Giatta.

Tyler Florence, Nigella Lawson - she rocks, Giada DeLaurentiis, Guy Fieri.

Alton Brown Good Eats. . . he annoys me but he has some of the best recipes. His mac and cheese and buttermilk pound cake and chicken pot pie are oh sooo good.

My daughter went to a filming of Rachael Ray . . . word is, she's diva-like off camera.

Paula Deen -- dear God, that woman IS a stick of butter. Yawwwwl. :rolleyes:

Two Fat Ladies! omg, my son - the special needs kid - never watched tv until he was 4 or 5 and he took to the cooking shows for some reason. He loved Two Fat Ladies, Maryann Esposito (Chiao Italia) and Lidia Matticchio Bastianich (Lidia's Italy). lol, I'd forgotten all about Two Fat Ladies.

I remember my mom watching The Galloping Gourmet with Graham Kerr.

Who was that southern guy on PBS -- Howdy ya'll -- with a cajun accent? I liked him.

Jeff Smith was a snob, imo. Never liked him.

Tyler Florence, Nigella Lawson - she rocks, Giada DeLaurentiis, Guy Fieri.

Alton Brown Good Eats. . . he annoys me but he has some of the best recipes. His mac and cheese and buttermilk pound cake and chicken pot pie are oh sooo good.

My daughter went to a filming of Rachael Ray . . . word is, she's diva-like off camera.

Paula Deen -- dear God, that woman IS a stick of butter. Yawwwwl. :rolleyes:

Two Fat Ladies! omg, my son - the special needs kid - never watched tv until he was 4 or 5 and he took to the cooking shows for some reason. He loved Two Fat Ladies, Maryann Esposito (Chiao Italia) and Lidia Matticchio Bastianich (Lidia's Italy). lol, I'd forgotten all about Two Fat Ladies.

I remember my mom watching The Galloping Gourmet with Graham Kerr.

Who was that southern guy on PBS -- Howdy ya'll -- with a cajun accent? I liked him.

justin wilson, there is a woman doing cajun cooking now...i dont remember her nameJeff Smith was a snob, imo. Never liked him.

as for ray she is making the bucks...and who cant cook a meal in 30 minutes.....really?

No one's mentioned Rachael Ray.

I may get flamed, but I think she's a hot little tart.

I do like her "thirty minute meals," and I think she's got a cute face. But, she's a fatty.
I was thinking that too, but some episodes she looks trim and in others it's like she's porked out.

And her voice changes all the time. Hmm... maybe it's puberty? :D

Gordon Ramsey.

You, and the rest of Gordon Ramsey's American fans disappoint me, Luissa.

I'm sure that he's a talented chef, but he's also a monumental ****. I really was hoping that during his - ever stressful - jaunt to America, one of the restaurant owners he bullied and patronised into turning their 'joint' around, would finally have enough of the wrinkly chefs incessant tantrums and retire to their office; only to later reappear with a handgun and shoot him in the knee and testicles.

Oh well, such is life.

Gordon Ramsey.

I'm sure that he's a talented chef, but he's also a monumental ****. I really was hoping that during his - ever stressful - jaunt to America, one of the restaurant owners he bullied and patronised into turning their 'joint' around, would finally have enough of the wrinkly chefs incessant tantrums and retire to their office; only to later reappear with a handgun and shoot him in the knee and testicles.

Oh well, such is life.

He is quite abusive, isn't he...

Gordon Ramsey.

Oh well, such is life.

He is quite abusive, isn't he...

He's also conspicuously transparent in that it's all an act. But hey, he's made his fortune from it. But that doesn't stop me from wanting him to suffer some kind of culinary accident. Such as getting his poisonous tongue caught in an electric egg-whisk.

Rocco DiSpirito

rocco_dispirito.jpg

Fabulous chef and yummy looking too!

I began thinking about it last night cuz of this thread and he really is my favorite...When I saw the thread I had to ask my husband, honey what's the name of that chef I like?, cuz I had forgotten his name...

Here is a great on-line episode called "Everything is better with bacon" :eusa_drool:

Episode Three : Everything is Better with Bacon Avec Eric

Remember this gal? She was a finalist on "The Next Food Network Star".
They gave the job to some idiot who didn't last one season.
I was so looking forward to watching this gal cook.
I called her "The Romulan"

z-18.jpg

Forum List

Back