Who is mimicking who--?

watchingfromafar

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2017
Who is mimicking who--?

I’ve watched a few news broadcasts from foreign countries and I have noticed that some places in Europe and other places have signs at street corners that say “STOP” & police officers have “Police” on their vests. I have noticed that this even occurs in countries where English is not the countries official language but the words are English. What I am wonders is who was first to use the term “police” and or “STOP”-?

Just asking

Who is mimicking who--?

I’ve watched a few news broadcasts from foreign countries and I have noticed that some places in Europe and other places have signs at street corners that say “STOP” & police officers have “Police” on their vests. I have noticed that this even occurs in countries where English is not the countries official language but the words are English. What I am wonders is who was first to use the term “police” and or “STOP”-?

Just asking

The French use the same word as we do for police. I think they might pronounce it a little differently though.

From Wikiedia:

the word police comes from Middle French police('public order, administration, government'),[7] in turn from Latin politia,

blog_crime.png

English is the international language, and not just for Americans and Brits; it's the 'second language' in most schools around the world, so yes, a lot of signs will be in English, even in small villages, if they get a lot of travelers from other countries.

English is the international language, and not just for Americans and Brits; it's the 'second language' in most schools around the world, so yes, a lot of signs will be in English, even in small villages, if they get a lot of travelers from other countries.

What a burden it must be for all those non-native speakers of English to be subjected to signs in anything but their first language! Most of these oppressive nations also provide various information in English. It’s like the heartbreak of “press one”!

Forum List

Back