Who is a foreigner here?

At this point you give up and start speaking French.

Or Russian. We always say 'he' in such cases and everybody is happy with it :)
Whoever Controls Grammar Controls Thought

That's correct in intelligent English, too. He has always been used for "he or she." It basically means "this person" and is related to here, "this place." Aggressive feminist rich girls pushed for "he or she," which was so clumsy that intimidated and illogical men started using they to refer to a singular. Bogataya zhenshchina? Poost yehyo sobaki yehboot!

Last edited:
What is good about English is its punctuation. In Russian we have thousand idiotic rules which are learned for years...

And we have those who abuse punctuation here. Irosie for one example uses no punctuation at all. Then there's 2aguy who ends every phrase with an ellipsis (...). One can never tell if he's finished his thought, but judging from the content, he never has. :eusa_shifty:

The one aspect of a Russian speaker that stands out for our eyes is the use of articles. I believe Russian doesn't have them but when they're not used in English we notice (above: "we have thousand idiotic rules" would be "we have a thousand idiotic rules"). It doesn't prevent understanding but it does get noticed. Hope that helps. :)

I'll tell you one foreigner here whose English is perfect is Lucy Hamilton :thup:

I was taught the English language from the age of 8 years-old. My entire family can write and talk English.

Sometimes when talking English I do have to pause in the middle of a sentence to think of the correct word, this happens more on the phone than in person, why that is I'm not sure but it does, also if I talk too fast I think people aren't understanding fully what I'm saying.

In writing like this often spellcheck helps with the more complicated words.

I'll also say that Stratford57 is very good at English.
Spellcheck Only Tells You If a Word Exists, Not If It Is the Right Word

Spellcheck won't help you with homophones, of which English has an incredible number. ....."

What's so incredible about it?

At this point you give up and start speaking French.

Or Russian. We always say 'he' in such cases and everybody is happy with it :)
Whoever Controls Grammar Controls Thought

That's correct in intelligent English, too. He has always been used for "he or she." It basically means "this person" and is related to here, "this place." Aggressive feminist rich girls pushed for "he or she," which was so clumsy that intimidated and illogical men started using they to refer to a singular. Bogataya zhenshchina? Poost yehyo sobaki yehboot!

Haha, no that particular fine tuning was going on well before "feminism" was ever a thing. Hell I was noting it as soon as I was old enough to talk and I have no reason to suspect I was the first. It's an obvious flaw.

Forum List

Back