White House Seeks Controls on Food Marketing

R.I.P

Tony the Tiger
Toucan Sam
Ronald McDonald (the current version)
Snap Crackel and Pop
Trix Rabbit - Silly Rabbit Trix are for fat asses!
Lucky the leprechaun
Count Chocula
Honey Nut Bee
Sonny the cuckoo bird

We grew up with them and now we have to watch them go down in flames. Darn fat kids!

R.I.P

Tony the Tiger
Toucan Sam
Ronald McDonald (the current version)
Snap Crackel and Pop
Trix Rabbit - Silly Rabbit Trix are for fat asses!
Lucky the leprechaun
Count Chocula
Honey Nut Bee
Sonny the cuckoo bird

We grew up with them and now we have to watch them go down in flames. Darn fat kids!

Always good to see new members.

Here, this may make you feel better:

A blonde calls her boyfriend and says, "Please come over here and help me.... I have a killer jigsaw puzzle, and I can't figure out how to get it started".

Her boyfriend asks, "What is it supposed to be when it's finished?".
The blonde says, "According to the picture on the box, it's a tiger".

Her boyfriend decides to go over and help with the puzzle. She lets him in and shows him where she has the puzzle spread all over the table. He studies the pieces for a moment, then looks at the box and then turns to her and says, "First of all, no matter what we do, we're not going to be able to assemble these pieces into anything resembling a tiger". He held her hand and said, "Second, I'd advise you to relax. Let's have a cup of coffee, then"....... he sighed and said, "Third... lets put all these Cornflakes back in the box".

This is just horseshit IMO. It's the parents fault for being shitty parents and caving in to every demand their kid has. Sure ads for junk foods target kids, but ultimately its the parents responsibility, not the government.

But if the parents are failing their responsibilities, which they are, who is going to protect the children? Childhood obesity is an epidemic in America and parents are doing nothing.

How about we let today's kids learn the same way that we did in those publicly paid for P.E. and health classes? It's not as if taxpayers don't spend a fortune on education and if someone want's to do a study they might notice a correlation between fewer P.E classes and recesses and fat kids in the last thirty years.

This is just horseshit IMO. It's the parents fault for being shitty parents and caving in to every demand their kid has. Sure ads for junk foods target kids, but ultimately its the parents responsibility, not the government.

But if the parents are failing their responsibilities, which they are, who is going to protect the children? Childhood obesity is an epidemic in America and parents are doing nothing.

It is NOT the Governments job nor do they have the power to do ANYTHING about it. Read what you just wrote. Think where ideas like that lead.

Obama and his merry band of, $@#$%^'s, are out for total control of every aspect of our lives, IMHO. Seems everyday we have a new story how this administration is going to make decisions for the 'stupid masses' who are unable, in their opinions, to handle their own affairs. Let's see Healthcare, Food industry, the Internet, the list goes on.

It would seem that Mr. Obama has others working for him right here in USMB, promoting 'Messiah Obama' as the 'Light of Salvation' for the USA, and the WORLD. All BOW to the messiah Obama and kiss his ring. And YES, resistance so far, HAS been FUTILE.

Wake up the rest of you, this guy is not only Brilliant, but he is NUTS!

Good thread.

James Madison said "Education is the true foundation of civil liberty."

That is a very different setting for a nation than 'I know what's best, and I'll use force to make you do it."

Obama admin isn't going to "make you do it." They're just going after the companies that advertise these unhealthy products, much like the gov't went after cigarette companies and forced them to stop advertising to children.

Yep, the standard attack on "evil corporations" trying to make their villainous profits by making our kids FAT! They are tricking our flock into eating stuff that (shudder)... tastes good... while hiding the nutritional information in a standardized white label on the side of the box. The people cannot be expected to pay attention to their and their children's own calorie intake!

That is what they should require, dictating how people can market. Hannity would be right to critize this.
-------------------------------

Does Hannity think hard liquor and cigarettes ads should be allowed back on TV? It's the same story.

That is what they should require, dictating how people can market. Hannity would be right to critize this.
-------------------------------

Does Hannity think hard liquor and cigarettes ads should be allowed back on TV? It's the same story.

I see hard liquor ads on TV all the time. And yes, I don't see why cigarette ads can't be on TV. I have a brain. I can judge for myself what is and isn't good for me. I get to choose. Its called freedom.

Obama and his merry band of, $@#$%^'s, are out for total control of every aspect of our lives, IMHO. Seems everyday we have a new story how this administration is going to make decisions for the 'stupid masses' who are unable, in their opinions, to handle their own affairs. Let's see Healthcare, Food industry, the Internet, the list goes on.

It would seem that Mr. Obama has others working for him right here in USMB, promoting 'Messiah Obama' as the 'Light of Salvation' for the USA, and the WORLD. All BOW to the messiah Obama and kiss his ring. And YES, resistance so far, HAS been FUTILE.

So, maybe I missed something.

What did Obama do to "control" the internet?
What did Obama do to "control" the food industry?

The OP reviews the results of a task force. It's not the law, it's not even proposed to be the law. A task force was put together, and came back with the not-so-surprising result that a lot of kids in America are FAT.

The task force recommended that parents stop feeding their kids shit.

Where is that "control" you were talking about?

I just read an article about the looming crisis in Germany's healthcare system. One of the comments suggested the govt regulate food. Oh brother.

Its a complex problem and all blame cannot be put on McDonalds. NJ has very strict nutritional guidelines for our school lunches. And every day the kids throw out the salad and fruit. We have an unusually high number of seniors who will not graduate because they failed gym. They get credit for simply putting on a pair of sneakers and many can't manage that. They are lazy, lazy, lazy and regulating salt and sugar won't solve that. What then?

Remember when kids played outside and joined Little League and dance? Not so much anymore. Parents are too busy. Or too lazy. Or absent. How do we solve that Michelle?

With Obama Health Care The "KIDS" up until the age of 26 are covered under their parents policy. Why not cover them until " The Kids " are 30,or 35 or 40.....What a joke.

Another thing is that there are people in poverty who have to get a lot of starchy stuff - rice, potatoes, macaroni, cheese, etc. in order to be able to stretch things out to feed the family.

BUT, I will agree there are others on welfare, food stamps or whatever who just pile their baskets high with pre-fab food - pizzas, breakfast foods, pop tarts (anything else that all they have to do is put it in the oven or microwave), several packs of sodas and other junk food.

Maybe restrictions should be put back on food stamps - anything edible is allowed now. Maybe junk foods, candy, other sweets, and sodas should be disallowed.

This is where some of the board members get it twisted. This is no different than any other First Lady's "Campaign against/for _______." With Nancy Reagan it was drugs, with Barbara Bush it was illiteracy, Hillary led the taskforce on National Healthcare Reform, and with Laura Bush she focused on Education.
Michelle is just filling her role as First Lady by making a bunch of noise over a subject and then really not accomplishing much.

Bailing out parents from the responsibility for raising their children is the societal equivalent of financially bailing out Greece.

The more Government plays nanny, the more parents indulge or neglect their children.

People blame the food industry for increasing childhood obesity. The intrusion of government into our lives and such obesity have a stronger causal link, imo.

Last edited:
I bought a 4 lb bag of sugar yesterday. There was no indication on the bag what kind of plant the sugar was made from. I ran into one of the store managers at check out and asked him. He said ...cane and beet. I felt better but he didn't say how he knew that. Persnally I like to read what is in my food on the packaging.

I think Michelle Obama needs to worry about the size of her own ass before nannying anyone else's kid.

Good thread is right.

Get the kids out from in front of the TV, Computer, Gameboy, X-Box.

Jeeze. When I was a kid we all got home from school, grabbed the ball, mitt and bat and headed out to play ball. We all had chores Mow the lawn etc. Believe me, nobody in my house growing up got fat sitting around watching TV.

I don't think the foods we ate were any different from whats available today. Kids are fat because they eat and don't get any exercise.

No amount of Govt control is going to cure that ailment. Jeeze.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Going after the companies will NOT solve the issue. Educating parents about their responsibility to raise their children properly will solve it.

I think Michelle Obama needs to worry about the size of her own ass before nannying anyone else's kid.

Much as she annoys the crap out of me, there is no need for personal, petty remarks about Michelle. There's plenty of stuff that comes out of her mouth to attack her on, let's not whine about what she puts into it.

Forum List

Back