Which Would You Choose?

Which Language Would You Choose?

• French

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Spanish

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters
Yup, unless you have a burning desire to do some international work where French may be spoken, Spanish is the wise choice in the US. I think we should begin teaching Spanish in 1st through 8th grade alongside English.

I actually disagree with that idea. I think school should be taught in english only except for foreign language classes that should be electives.

And that IGNORES the fact that by 2050 the country may be Majority Hispanic. We should be preparing for that NOW not later.

Further it is a wise idea because of the number of legal immigrants that speak the language and because I do not ever see this Government kicking the illegals out.

Japan, Germany and possibly other countries teach 8 years of English to their young, We would be wise to teach Spanish as a LANGUAGE.

Notice I do not say we should teach other subjects in Spanish?

I disagree. You are ignoring the fact the official language here is English. Immigrants are coming here. I take GREAT issue with people coming here and refusing to assimilate. Why come here at all if you want to maintain the culture and lifestyle you already had there?

And I'm not talking about people loosing their ethnic culture, either. I'm talking more about lifestyle. I think it's wrong that Mexicans come here allegedly for a better life while the fact is, they just bring their lifestyle with them.

I actually disagree with that idea. I think school should be taught in english only except for foreign language classes that should be electives.

And that IGNORES the fact that by 2050 the country may be Majority Hispanic. We should be preparing for that NOW not later.

Further it is a wise idea because of the number of legal immigrants that speak the language and because I do not ever see this Government kicking the illegals out.

Japan, Germany and possibly other countries teach 8 years of English to their young, We would be wise to teach Spanish as a LANGUAGE.

I disagree. You are ignoring the fact the official language here is English. Immigrants are coming here. I take GREAT issue with people coming here and refusing to assimilate. Why come here at all if you want to maintain the culture and lifestyle you already had there?

And I'm not talking about people loosing their ethnic culture, either. I'm talking more about lifestyle. I think it's wrong that Mexicans come here allegedly for a better life while the fact is, they just bring their lifestyle with them.

I don't think the official language is english, the pansies in congress keep failing to make it so.

I don't think the official language is english, the pansies in congress keep failing to make it so.

You seem to be speaking Gay.:lol:

My youngest is going into 7th grade next year and also had to pick between Spanish and French. She went with Spanish (with encouragement from us) because it's an easier language to learn vs. French. (My brother took French in H.S. and had an awful time with it.) Also, her older sister took Spanish and maybe can help. FWIW, I think it's a total load of bs making college kids take a language. Filler classes that waste your time and money. Whatever you learn this time around, unless you use it, you will lose it. What a joke. If they (whoever 'they' are) really wanted people in this country to learn a second language they'd start teaching it in Kindergarten. What they need to do is make everyone speak English and stop all the second language labels, tv, radio, etc. crap.

I would say that Spanish would the better choice.

Some say America will be majority Hispanic, of course those statistics are fairly loose because the term 'Hispanic' is a choice. Thus, they use the criteria that anyone with a Hispanic great-grandparent (on either side) who is a majority Hispanic would check the box - hypothetically speaking - marked 'Hispanic' on the census sheet.

In other words, that's not why I think you should speak Spanish. Most couldn't understand you, none of them could read what your wrote, and generally speaking: a bad idea to learn a language because of misconceptions. Instead, I think you should learn it just because it is a beatiful language.

French is entirely too grating, not decisive enough. Fairly easy to go "Nein! Du ist ein schwein!" Silence them. Heh.

Well I definitely don't think Chinese or Japanese would be a good choice for me. I had enough trouble with Spanish the first time I took it, and that's at least got a similar alphabet and similar words to English.

I've heard French is more difficult than Spanish, is anyone able to confirm this?

I've got to choose a language to study at college, and I'm debating between Spanish and French. I've already taken Spanish in high school and I can say that I was terrible at it then, and don't remember any of it now. So which language would you, my friends at USMB, choose to study? Spanish or French? Please include why you would choose this language as well. :razz:

What are you doing after college?

That's a good question. My major is Political Science, and my minor is History. I don't have any ideas about what I'm going to do after school though. I don't plan on doing anything that would require me to know another language, but you never know.

Concentrate on English.

I wish I could. I was told in high school that if I took a foreign language there then I would get it out of the way and wouldn't have to take it in college. I was obviously misled.

Well I definitely don't think Chinese or Japanese would be a good choice for me. I had enough trouble with Spanish the first time I took it, and that's at least got a similar alphabet and similar words to English.

I've heard French is more difficult than Spanish, is anyone able to confirm this?

Study the language of the Chimpanzees and you will have the basics of French.

I have to say Spanish, because we are going to be using more.....and more unfortunately.
Living in Ca. for as long as I did, mid and upper management in business needed to speak the language fluently as a requirement of the job. I would think this is how it is with all the states bordering Mexico.
I have a feeling that some day in this great nation it will be a requirement to take a year or two of Spanish just like English.

I've got to choose a language to study at college, and I'm debating between Spanish and French. I've already taken Spanish in high school and I can say that I was terrible at it then, and don't remember any of it now. So which language would you, my friends at USMB, choose to study? Spanish or French? Please include why you would choose this language as well. :razz:

international finiance....getting laid....french.....labour leader .....spanish.....international business cantonese....

If you aren't going to use either language, I would choose French.

If you aren't going to use either language, I would choose French.

Why's that?

I have to say Spanish, because we are going to be using more.....and more unfortunately.
Living in Ca. for as long as I did, mid and upper management in business needed to speak the language fluently as a requirement of the job. I would think this is how it is with all the states bordering Mexico.
I have a feeling that some day in this great nation it will be a requirement to take a year or two of Spanish just like English.

Why should the business men have to learn Spanish? Why don't the Spanish speaking people learn English if doing business with the U.S.?

It already is a requirement to take foreign language. 7th, 8th grade and 9th grade required; possibly college. I know what you mean about Spanish being a requirement someday though and I find it offensive and ridiculous.

Why should the business men have to learn Spanish? Why don't the Spanish speaking people learn English if doing business with the U.S.?
It already is a requirement to take foreign language. 7th, 8th grade and 9th grade required; possibly college. I know what you mean about Spanish being a requirement someday though and I find it offensive and ridiculous.

Makes you wonder, huh? It sure makes me wonder. Like Gunny was talking about them not coming here to assimilate. When the Vietnamese came here after the war, the first thing they did was learn our language, the same with the Italians, etc. But, the Mexicans come here for jobs, then take the money back to Mexico every month. It has nothing to do with assmiliation, but to exploit our system. This would be another thread for another day.

Last edited:
Ive always been fascinated by languages, I just suck at speaking them. Including English. Of the two listed Id pick spanish. But then Ive never really been interested in French. Every other European language, but not French.

Maybe if i had more patience Id speak it better.

Forum List

Back