Which Would You Choose?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kevin_Kennedy, Jun 13, 2009.

?

Which Language Would You Choose?

1. French

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Spanish

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  1. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    I've got to choose a language to study at college, and I'm debating between Spanish and French. I've already taken Spanish in high school and I can say that I was terrible at it then, and don't remember any of it now. So which language would you, my friends at USMB, choose to study? Spanish or French? Please include why you would choose this language as well. :razz:

2. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441
    Had to take French in Jr. High (way back in the day!), and, of course, they didn't bother with teaching it -- just some damned conversational crap, which is ever so useful in the U. S.

Spanish all through H. S., the basics of which I can recall well enough to get a point across in a heavily Hispanic populated area.

Now, answer this. When was the last time you heard "Press 3 for French"?

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I too took French in Middle School, ah the 'romance language.' ;) Really never got to use it and for the most part still can only read a few words. Took Spanish in hs & college, because of my hearing, never could speak it well, but still can struggle through reading Spanish and get the gist of what is written.

4. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    Take a serious look at the immigration into this country. Most of it is people that speak spanish, not french. For that reason I suggest spanish.

5. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
    Yup, unless you have a burning desire to do some international work where French may be spoken, Spanish is the wise choice in the US. I think we should begin teaching Spanish in 1st through 8th grade alongside English.

6. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    I actually disagree with that idea. I think school should be taught in english only except for foreign language classes that should be electives.

7. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
    And that IGNORES the fact that by 2050 the country may be Majority Hispanic. We should be preparing for that NOW not later.

Further it is a wise idea because of the number of legal immigrants that speak the language and because I do not ever see this Government kicking the illegals out.

Japan, Germany and possibly other countries teach 8 years of English to their young, We would be wise to teach Spanish as a LANGUAGE.

Notice I do not say we should teach other subjects in Spanish?

8. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,857
    wanna get laid...take french.....after french you will be able to pick up some spanish....but i would take french...if you really wanted to have a skill take japanese or a general chinese....

9. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    If that is your argument, then we should teach chinese, since that is the most populous language on the planet. (Yeah, yeah, I know, there are various dialects)

10. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
    Ya cause by 2050 the MAJORITY in the US will be Chinese? I don't think so. Once again for the obtuse slow and criminally dumb. This Country is going to have HALF plus of the Country speaking Spanish by 2050. The children NOW should learn it from 1st grade so that they can communicate with their NEIGHBORS inside their own TOWNS and CITIES and the BUSINESS they go to to BUY or WORK at.

And of course using your logic, the Germans and the Japanese should learn Chinese rather then English. Of course that ignores the fact that they learn English because world wide Business involve a very large number of people that speak English.