Which are your favourite economists ?

From where do asylum seekers come from ?

well if 2 billion of the worlds poorest could come to America I'm sure most would. The only thing that stops them is Republicans and borders.
Well ed , its actually poverty and free trade ( here I must point out that free trade was pushed by both reps and dems ) and the stagnation and in some cases worsening of the economy of countries which were already poor is what's been pushing immigrants from LA to the US.
In the case of Europe, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have played a significant role.... add to that the "partisians" ( or mercenaries ?) empowered by the US to destibilize the Syrian regime, it is not unlikely some of them joined the IS.
I am not really sure what to make about that: a good intended plan gone sour (feasible enough) ? a plan to destiblize the region in order to increase weapon sales ( more like a conspiracy theory ) ?

Anything coming from Putin has to come with a healthy dose of skepticism (I don't really believe for an instant his assumed role as a defender of human rights and democracy , jajaja) ,but his explanations do make some sense: at least it would explain how the IS became so powerfull in such a short time.

dear, one of the reasons you're so slow is that you are disorganized. in this case you have no idea what the subject is. In any case, Putin is right to support Assad and we should join him rather than let little Barry make a bigger mess of the world.

I am not disorganized. I am presenting evidence that migration has been created by two factors :
A) Decline in economies
B) War : afghanistan , iraq, syria.

100% stupid thats why you keep ignoring that Trump will end immigration with a wall regardless of war or economics. Are you too slow to grasp the concept??

well if 2 billion of the worlds poorest could come to America I'm sure most would. The only thing that stops them is Republicans and borders.
Well ed , its actually poverty and free trade ( here I must point out that free trade was pushed by both reps and dems ) and the stagnation and in some cases worsening of the economy of countries which were already poor is what's been pushing immigrants from LA to the US.
In the case of Europe, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have played a significant role.... add to that the "partisians" ( or mercenaries ?) empowered by the US to destibilize the Syrian regime, it is not unlikely some of them joined the IS.
I am not really sure what to make about that: a good intended plan gone sour (feasible enough) ? a plan to destiblize the region in order to increase weapon sales ( more like a conspiracy theory ) ?

Anything coming from Putin has to come with a healthy dose of skepticism (I don't really believe for an instant his assumed role as a defender of human rights and democracy , jajaja) ,but his explanations do make some sense: at least it would explain how the IS became so powerfull in such a short time.

dear, one of the reasons you're so slow is that you are disorganized. in this case you have no idea what the subject is. In any case, Putin is right to support Assad and we should join him rather than let little Barry make a bigger mess of the world.

I am not disorganized. I am presenting evidence that migration has been created by two factors :
A) Decline in economies

100% stupid thats why you keep ignoring that Trump will end immigration with a wall regardless of war or economics. Are you too slow to grasp the concept??

Ed , there's no way Trump will become president of the US... not even Fox news likes him, that can't be a good sign.

A) Decline in economies

Now quoting your all time favorite economist Milton Friedman :

Why is it that free immigration was a good thing before 1914 and free immigration is a bad thing today ?
Mexican immigration over the border is a good thing it's a good thing for illegal immigrants , it's a good things for the US. Make it legal , and it's no good , why , because as long as it is illegal the people who come in do not qualify for welfare, they don't qualify for social security , they don't qualify for the myriad of benefits that we've poured out from our left pocket to our right pocket and so as long as they don't qualify they migrate to jobs . They take jobs , that most residents in this country are unwilling to take.

So , acording to good old Milton, DT should be working towards opening borders to our trading partners while simultaneously dismantling the welfare state !!
Be careful Ed , this Donald subject is a dangerous liberal !!! Watch out !!!
(lol :D )

I still like Milton Friedman. He was a very good polemicist and he made economics fun.

I got a subscription to newsweek when I was in High School. Ge and Paul Samuelson had columns on opposite weeks. I remember how I enjoyed how Friedman demolished Samuelson all the time.

BTW, both were good buds. They agreed more than they disagreed. Friedman was just so much better

I still like Milton Friedman. He was a very good polemicist and he made economics fun.

I got a subscription to newsweek when I was in High School. Ge and Paul Samuelson had columns on opposite weeks. I remember how I enjoyed how Friedman demolished Samuelson all the time.

BTW, both were good buds. They agreed more than they disagreed. Friedman was just so much better

Yes, Friedman made common sense while Samuelson made mathematics, and the most common economics text of the century by far from which no one learned a thing accept perhaps a little math. Friedman saved the planet and won the cold war by converting the USSR and Red China to freedom while Samuelson, a standard libcommie at heart behind the MIT math, is most famous for saying that the USSR proved that a planned economy could out produce a free market system. In reality, the USSR produced about 18% of the GDP that the USA produced and would not have had even that much if they hadn't copied everything invented in capitalist America.

Last edited:

The problem I have with Friedman is that he oversimpliefies economy .

Allow a trade deficit with a foreign country .
Friedman : Yes, because they can't stockpile the money forever. Eventually the trade balance will be zero .
The small letter : Chinese have tockpiled almost 4T in US debt. Yes , they are comming back to purchase from the US, but not your regular consumer goods,no sir. it's capital goods and assets : factories, retail centers, land., hotels , whole companies.

Let third world engage in free trade :
Friedman : Yes, because they get cheaper products.
The small letter : with local jobs destroyed people migrate to places with higher jobs. No surprise ther is a sort of migrant crisis in the US and Europe.
Friedman : Yes, just get rid of minimum wage and social security

Which gets us to the next topic:
No minimum wage or social security
Friedman : Yes, because it promotes full employment, and lets companies hire at the best available price.
The small letter : at such wages some people would rather work in informal work or completely illegal jobs ( prostitution , extorsion , robbery ) specially in countries where law enforcement is weak.

Comparative advantage
Friedman : Free trade allows contries to use best their comparative advantage which can be growing beans or building computers.
The small letter : a country which gets its infant industry destroyed by sudden free trade is unable to find its comparative advantage. Nor the US nor GB were free trade countries for a very long time ( neither is China a free trade country : you just can't set a factory anywhere you please and the currency isn't actually freely floating) .

He uses Korea as an example of free trade, when Korea was fiercely protectionist in key areas, which allowed it to grow at a neckbreaking speed.

So ... Friedman has some nice ideas which could work well in an ideal world , but reallity ( and history ) has certainly proved most of his view as incorrect.

Milton Friedman, Adam Smith.

Sure? No qualms about it ? ( not about Adam, quite a good economist for his time, but Milton ?)

open borders in these terrorists times is a non starter, and that is not to mention it is a double non starter when we know illegals and the larger illegal community block vote Democratic.

Ed,
If you are making a reference to 9/11 ... those terrorists arrived by plane , not hiking by the US-Mexican desert.

Sure? No qualms about it ? ( not about Adam, quite a good economist for his time, but Milton ?)

open borders in these terrorists times is a non starter, and that is not to mention it is a double non starter when we know illegals and the larger illegal community block vote Democratic.

Ed,
If you are making a reference to 9/11 ... those terrorists arrived by plane , not hiking by the US-Mexican desert.

dear, its very very obvious that now it would be far easier for terrorists to get in with weapons on foot rather than on a plane .

Do you understand?
Do you have the IQ to be here??

dear, cut the BS and give us the most substantive example or admit as a typical liberal you lack the IQ to be here.
Ed,
anyone with an average IQ would be able to analyze my previous examples.

In sum, you lack the IQ to present your best example of where Friedman was mistaken, although you assure us he was.

Ed,

dear, its very very obvious that now it would be far easier for terrorists to get in with weapons on foot rather than on a plane .

Do you understand?
Do you have the IQ to be here??

So... you are planning on building a wall along Canada too ?

dear, cut the BS and give us the most substantive example or admit as a typical liberal you lack the IQ to be here.
Ed,

In sum, you lack the IQ to present your best example of where Friedman was mistaken, although you assure us he was.
I presented five examples Ed. Is there something wrong with your english skills ?
Parli Italiano Ed ?

Ed,

I presented five examples Ed. Is there something wrong with your english skills ?
Parli Italiano Ed ?

present you best single example stupid liberal culture creep. 5 examples is obviously too much to discuss.

Ed,

Parli Italiano Ed ?

present you best single example stupid liberal culture creep. 5 examples is obviously too much to discuss.

"Allow a trade deficit with a foreign country .
Friedman : Yes, because they can't stockpile the money forever. Eventually the trade balance will be zero .
The small letter : Chinese have tockpiled almost 4T in US debt. Yes , they are comming back to purchase from the US, but not your regular consumer goods,no sir. it's capital goods and assets : factories, retail centers, land., hotels , whole companies. "

There you go Ed.

Forum List

Back