Which are your favourite economists ?

Robert Shiller he was the first to provide rigorous proof that the balance sheet is at least as important in economics as cashflow or income

Robert Shiller he was the first to provide rigorous proof that the balance sheet is at least as important in economics as cashflow or income

100% trivial. Milton Friedman wrote the Monetary History of the USA that proved conservatives right and now serves as the guide to avoid depressions.

J M Keynes. His understanding of the importance of entrepreneurship, and the ways in which entrepreneurs think, is unparalleled.

J K Galbraith. For being Keynesian when everyone else who called themselves Keynesian.....wasn't.

Adam Smith. Because who doesn't love Adam Smith?

Hyman Minsky. His financial instability hypothesis explains everything. It explains why intuitive economics don't work when there is a financial system.

Knut Wicksell. All money is credit. You heard it there first.

Nicholas Kaldor. His understanding of inflation in an industrialized economy has never been matched.

Eugen Bohm-Bawerk. His history of the theory of interest is compelling, brilliant, and witty.

Billl Mitchell, Randy Wray, Warren Mosler, and Stephanie Kelton. For Modern Monetary Theory.

Paul Davidson. For being a post-Keynesian lion.

Abba Lerner. For explaining the very commonsense idea that finance should be functional.

Chris Cook. For sheer brilliance and his efforts to establish consol and peer to peer energy markets.

Perry Mehrling. For knowing everything about money and being a great teacher.

G F Knapp. For the state theory of money.

Yanis Varoufakis. For putting his money where his mouth is.

Phil Pilkington, Payam Sharifi, Raul Carillo, and Rohan Grey. They are the great economists of tomorrow.

and A C Pigou, for being a good sport and giving his name to Pigovian taxes.

Axel Leijonihufvud for "On Keynesian Economics and the Economics of Keynes"

Vilfredo Pareto for work on welfare economics

Leon Walras for work on general equilibrium theory

Oscar Lange for his actual work in economic planning

J R Hicks, for explaining the unexplainable

Paul Samuelson for the unreadable "Foundations of Economic Analysis"

Simon Kuznets for doing what no one had done before and no one has really tried to do since

Wassily Leontieff who crunched every number

Robert Fogel who proved you needed to be an economist to be a good historian and you needed to be a historian to be a good economist

Thomas Malthus who extended economics into demography

John Nash who demonstrated that reality is not all that its cracked up to be

David Ricardo who got just about everything right, except when he was wrong

Karl Marx (see David Ricardo)

Johann von Thunen who knew where it was at (and where to put an ice cream stand on the beach)

Enjoy.

Simon Kuznets for doing what no one had done before and no one has really tried to do since

Robert Fogel who proved you needed to be an economist to be a good historian and you needed to be a historian to be a good economist

Johann von Thunen who knew where it was at (and where to put an ice cream stand on the beach)

Enjoy.

But not Friedman who created the modern economics we live by. What does that say about your real IQ. It's no surprise you cant participate here. Your head is stuck playing trivial pursuit!!

Enjoy.

But not Friedman who created the modern economics we live by. What does that say about your real IQ. It's no surprise you cant participate here. Your head is stuck playing trivial pursuit!!

"But not Friedman who created the economics we live by..."

Yeah, no, the guy whose ideas created this mess is not on my Christmas card list.

Yeah, no, the guy whose ideas created this mess is not on my Christmas card list.

why is the liberal so afraid to present his most substantive example of the mess? What does his fear teach us??

- lolwut?
why is the liberal so afraid to present his most substantive example of the mess Friedman created? What does his fear teach us

- You're not making any more sense than you did the first time.

Of course, we all realize that your posts are not intended to communicate.

why is the liberal so afraid to present his most substantive example of the mess? What does his fear teach us??

- lolwut?
why is the liberal so afraid to present his most substantive example of the mess Friedman created? What does his fear teach us

- lolwut?

- Edward, what in the world are you babbling about?

- lolwut?

- Edward, what in the world are you babbling about?

What are your sorces for econimic insights . What do you like or dislike of them .
For a serious and clear analysis my absolute favourite is Joseph Stiglitz.
I like to contrast them with the view points of Robert P Murphy and the economists of the Austrian school.
Steve Keen is bright economist who predicted the 2008 crisis long before it happened, so it is also an obligatory source for economic insight.
I like some of the articles from Paul Krugman, though his analysis is not nearly as polished as Stiglitz's.
Richard d'Wolf gives some very interesting lectures which I follow eagerly every month.
Finally I like Peter Schiff's and Max Keiser's shows ( they are a bit more theatrical , but interesting ) .

What are your sorces for econimic insights . What do you like or dislike of them .
For a serious and clear analysis my absolute favourite is Joseph Stiglitz.
I like to contrast them with the view points of Robert P Murphy and the economists of the Austrian school.
Steve Keen is bright economist who predicted the 2008 crisis long before it happened, so it is also an obligatory source for economic insight.
I like some of the articles from Paul Krugman, though his analysis is not nearly as polished as Stiglitz's.
Richard d'Wolf gives some very interesting lectures which I follow eagerly every month.
Finally I like Peter Schiff's and Max Keiser's shows ( they are a bit more theatrical , but interesting ) .

I like Stiglitz, love Keen.

Murphy - meh.

I generally disagree with Austrians about most things. I will have to say that Murphy has written some interesting stuff. His thesis was on the natural rate of interest, and his indictment of the pure theory of time preference was extremely insightful.

What makes this funny to me, after all of his work on interest rates, is that I remember seeing his jaw drop during a debate with Warren Mosler when Mosler told him the natural money rate of interest is zero.

Mosler was right, of course, for a fiat money system, but it was clear that it had never occurred to Murphy.

My pick is Veblen for his conspicuous consumption, but Keynes is the man. Keynes was all economics, Friedman all politics. But Friedman did admit capitalism runs on greed.

Enjoy.

I have actually met Professor Friedman on a number of occasions and read a dozen or so of his works, including those that were intended as serious scholarship as opposed to a popular market. You obviously have read the rest.

J K Galbraith. For being Keynesian when everyone else who called themselves Keynesian.....wasn't.

Galbraith was also responsible for one of the great intellectual disasters of the twentieth century: the theory of countervailing power. He postulated that the solution to the conflict of big business and big labor was big government. See how well that worked out?

Adam Smith. Because who doesn't love Adam Smith?

Conservatives. Because once you get beyond the invisible hand into monopoly and collusion, they hate everything he wrote. Especially his canons of taxation.

Hyman Minsky. His financial instability hypothesis explains everything. It explains why intuitive economics don't work when there is a financial system.

For a non-entity during his lifetime, he has had a remarkable and well-deserved run since his death!
Knut Wicksell. All money is credit. You heard it there first.

How about the natural rate of interest?

and A C Pigou, for being a good sport and giving his name to Pigovian taxes.

I actually have his six volume collected works. His dicta for central bankers on who to save and who to let drown in a financial panic would have stood us in good stead in 2006-2009. We saved the scum.

Forum List

Back