When Gov't Gets Way Too Big

KevinWestern

Hello
Mar 8, 2012
Chicago, IL
I'm generally a moderate, but I want to share with you all (especially those who are heavy left leaning) a recent reminder of why it can be dangerous to let your government get too big and powerful.

Currently, Michigan's DNR (Department of Natural Resources) is actively marching into private family owned farms and ordering farmers to either KILL ALL OF THEIR heritage-breed pigs, or face being arrested and thrown in jail.

These small family farmers are literally being forced to kill their own livestock - including the 5lb piglets - because these sorts of pigs have been deemed as "wild animals" under a new ISO (invasive species order). Just a ridiculous and ludicrous overreach of government authority, in my opinion, and it sounds like Big Business is driving the massacre to knock out potential competitors.

TRUTH MATTERS » Blog Archive » Michigan DNR Gone Crazy Killing Pigs on Small Family Farms

www.BakersGreenAcres.com - Your Pastured Poultry People

I know a lot of people on the left have good intentions for a big government - whether it be for the sake of social welfare or laws and regulations intended to help people - but just note that sometimes these regulations/government authority can spiral out of control. I don't want to wind up living in a police state, and this idea has always kept me from drifting too far left of center.

Thoughts about this pig slaughter? Big government?

Last edited:
Being a farmer, and having more than a passing interest in heritage breeds and what they represent, I find this to be a travesty and government overreach of the highest order.
The preservation of heritage breeds of animals and plants is an attempt to preserve genetic diversity in our foodstocks. Here are two cites that might help explain why it is important to protect and foster heritage stock.
American Livestock Breeds Conservancy
Heritage, Heirloom and Traditional Breeds - The Issues - Sustainable Table

What is the motivation behind government suppression of preservation of heritage stock? Well, at the risk of being called out as a conspiracy nut, the reasons are deeply rooted in the One-World-Order push. While the move to restrict food production to a few "approved" sources is touted as the only way to protect world food supplies, follow the money and you will observe that, once again, there are only a few very wealthy companies that will control what you will be permitted to eat. Of course, the usual suspects are the same companies that have bought and paid for the politicians responsible for establishing the government policies that force farmers and other folk interested in raising their own food to destroy and adulterate their products.
CODEX ALIMENTARIUS
Health Warning: Codex Alimentarus is Coming | Health/Medicine |Axisoflogic.com

Oh, for heaven's sake... does our government not have better things to waste our money on than destroying the livelihoods of the citizenry?

Oh, for heaven's sake... does our government not have better things to waste our money on than destroying the livelihoods of the citizenry?

Apparently not.

This is the kind of thing that, as a conservative, just makes me seriously pissed... actual, genuine outrage.... and I don't give a rat's ass whether it's Ds or Rs... it's fucking pathetic.

What is the motivation behind government suppression of preservation of heritage stock? Well, at the risk of being called out as a conspiracy nut, the reasons are deeply rooted in the One-World-Order push. While the move to restrict food production to a few "approved" sources is touted as the only way to protect world food supplies, follow the money and you will observe that, once again, there are only a few very wealthy companies that will control what you will be permitted to eat. Of course, the usual suspects are the same companies that have bought and paid for the politicians responsible for establishing the government policies that force farmers and other folk interested in raising their own food to destroy and adulterate their products.
CODEX ALIMENTARIUS

I don’t know if I necessarily buy into the full out coordinated one-world-order takeover, but I do agree that this assault on small farmers most certainly is rooted in powerful business interests using the government to thwart competition.

I think a lot of people on the left accuse the right of being “buddies” with big corporations by seeing only through the "tax lens", but fail to realize that big corporations actually welcome a big government because it can be used as a vessel to crush small competitors by piling on mounds and mounds of unnecessary and costly business regulations.

Big Business creates the rulebook of Big Government.

Last edited:

Apparently not.

This is the kind of thing that, as a conservative, just makes me seriously pissed... actual, genuine outrage.... and I don't give a rat's ass whether it's Ds or Rs... it's fucking pathetic.

Make no mistake, this atrocity does cross those party lines. Pols of all stripes are paid for by the giant agribusinesses that would have us eating only the GMO trash they have engineered. GMO generally means that the propagation of food supplies no longer follows the natural order. GMO plants are sterile. They no longer set fertile seeds and have often been genetically modified in some what that is harmful to those organisms that consume them. The harm of GMO plants is not only consumed directly by humans, but passes through animals fed those GMOs. Heritage livestock include many strains that have been bred out of the more common stock available now. Although a heritage pig, for instance, does not grow to market weight as quickly, it will produce leaner, more nutritious meat.

CODEX ALIMENTARIUS

I don’t know if I necessarily buy into the full out coordinated one-world-order takeover, but I do agree that this assault on small farmers most certainly is rooted in powerful business interests using the government to thwart competition.

I think a lot of people on the left accuse the right of being “buddies” with big corporations by seeing only through the "tax lens", but fail to realize that big corporations actually welcome a big government because it can be used as a vessel to crush small competitors by piling on mounds and mounds of unnecessary and costly business regulations.

Big Business creates the rulebook of Big Government.

Actually, the Codex Alimentarus is a UN document that outlines controls and regulations for food production worldwide. Right now, only certain countries have bought into the Codex. If the regime in control of the US government decides to adopt UN policies, we might still see the robust agricultural production of the small holders in this country crushed.

Well this explains somewhat, what Rachel Maddow on MSNBC is ranting about, the Republican state legislature.
Michigan has been run by the Dem's for 40 years and the people of Michigan decided to vote for a majority of Repubs back in. Dem's are now having a fit about all kinds of things.
The Repubs are trying to undo the over blown state government that has been run by the Dem's.
There is so much corruption in that state.
This report about the pigs proves just how big the state control of Dem's bills and regulations has become.

People don't want a large government but they do want Medicare, Social Security, a strong military, environmental protection, social programs for the poor, and a host of other government services.

People don't want a large government but they do want Medicare, Social Security, a strong military, environmental protection, social programs for the poor, and a host of other government services.

Speak for yourself. The only thing on that list that is a Constitutional mandate for the Federal government is a strong military. All the rest is eyewash and icing.
Although, I certainly wouldn't mind getting my social security contributions that have been extorted from me for the last 40+ years refunded. Hell, I'll forgo the funds all my employers have paid into that fund on my behalf. I just want MY money back.

I'm generally a moderate, but I want to share with you all (especially those who are heavy left leaning) a recent reminder of why it can be dangerous to let your government get too big and powerful.

Currently, Michigan's DNR (Department of Natural Resources) is actively marching into private family owned farms and ordering farmers to either KILL ALL OF THEIR heritage-breed pigs, or face being arrested and thrown in jail.

These small family farmers are literally being forced to kill their own livestock - including the 5lb piglets - because these sorts of pigs have been deemed as "wild animals" under a new ISO (invasive species order). Just a ridiculous and ludicrous overreach of government authority, in my opinion, and it sounds like Big Business is driving the massacre to knock out potential competitors.

TRUTH MATTERS » Blog Archive » Michigan DNR Gone Crazy Killing Pigs on Small Family Farms

www.BakersGreenAcres.com - Your Pastured Poultry People

I know a lot of people on the left have good intentions for a big government - whether it be for the sake of social welfare or laws and regulations intended to help people - but just note that sometimes these regulations/government authority can spiral out of control. I don't want to wind up living in a police state, and this idea has always kept me from drifting too far left of center.

Thoughts about this pig slaughter? Big government?

Why do I get the distinct feeling that private business, big business, is behind this? Yes, it's a government regulation, but who is promoting it and for what purpose? I highly doubt some bureaucrat just thought this up on his/her own.

Who wants to bet me 1 million dollars that this legislation was bought and paid for by the meat industry? Any takers? "Leftists" are against such legislation... why do you think we are fighting Monsanto who is trying to lift the moratorium on "terminator seeds", will not label their GMO's and would like nothing better than to outlaw backyard gardening and farmer's markets? They're already TRYING to pass this very legislation. Wake up!!!

Just from today:
http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/farm-group-seeks-us-halt-on-dangerous-crop-chemicals

Last edited:

This was exacty what OWS meant by "get money out of government".

We are also fighting legislation against the sale of raw cow and goat's milk, but the dairy industry has a HUGE lobby. You have this "lefites are for big government" thing all wrong. Lefties are against letting corporations like these do whatever they want (including buying legislation) no matter who it harms. Period.

Oh, and I'm actually thinking of farming my family's homestead in the near future (sustainable, as thanks to big agra, I can't afford to be "certified organic" - that has been polluted by big industrial (not sustainable) organic farms anyway). I want to raise vegetables, chickens (eggs) bees and milk goats, so I follow all of this awful legislation that keeps being voted in closely. It ain't the left behind it. I can assure you that!

Last edited:
We are also fighting legislation against the sale of raw cow and goat's milk, but the dairy industry has a HUGE lobby. You have this "lefites are for big government" thing all wrong. Lefties are against letting corporations like these do whatever they want (including buying legislation) no matter who it harms. Period.

The reason lefties favor big government are often different that the reasons why righties favor big government.
For the left, big government appears often to equal big entitlement programs that favor "the poor", programs that "equalize" outcome instead of fostering opportunities for all.
For the right, big government appears to mean huge government regulations that favor the highest bidder, who in turn demands that the government regulate any competition out of the market.
The problem we have is, even if we agree that government is too big, neither side wants to give up the perks that big government affords their "side". Government just keeps getting bigger and the individual, in all walks of life, is subordinated and forced to serve a government that no longer serves the individual's interest.

Oh, and I'm actually thinking of farming my family's homestead in the near future (sustainable, as thanks to big agra, I can't afford to be "certified organic" - that has been polluted by big industrial (not sustainable) organic farms anyway). I want to raise vegetables, chickens (eggs) bees and milk goats, so I follow all of this awful legislation that keeps being voted in closely. It ain't the left behind it. I can assure you that!

I'm already there. You are right, the designation of "organic" has been co-opted and degraded by big agra once they recognized that consumers wanted what the small producers once billed as "organic" and they would pay a higher price for that type of product. Now, to be certified "organic" you have to jump through all kinds of dipshit government hoops, and pay beaucoup bucks in fees. In reality, would you rather buy food from the same people who grow it and eat it themselves, or would you prefer buying food produced in quantity, shipped to central processing and distribution facilities, stocked and sold by an army of faceless, could-care-less, minimum-wage automatons?
I've been working at establishing my bona fides to become a certified goat dairy. I have a tremendous consumer interest in raw milk and raw milk products. The market is there, it's just what has to be done to "legally" consume raw milk is either confusing or too drastic for most consumers. Fortunately, Alaska still allows the owners of an animal to consume raw products from that animal. That gives us an "out" by selling goat-, cow-, or herdshares. Still pretty convoluted when all most people want is to put down their money and take home a gallon of milk.

Sheesh! Whatever happened to think globally, act locally?

I've been considering raising honey bees. I also love the taste of free range chicken eggs.

Forum List

Back