When Gov't Gets Way Too Big

Discussion in 'Politics' started by KevinWestern, Apr 18, 2012.

1. KevinWestern

KevinWestern Hello

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +535
    I'm generally a moderate, but I want to share with you all (especially those who are heavy left leaning) a recent reminder of why it can be dangerous to let your government get too big and powerful.

Currently, Michigan's DNR (Department of Natural Resources) is actively marching into private family owned farms and ordering farmers to either KILL ALL OF THEIR heritage-breed pigs, or face being arrested and thrown in jail.

These small family farmers are literally being forced to kill their own livestock - including the 5lb piglets - because these sorts of pigs have been deemed as "wild animals" under a new ISO (invasive species order). Just a ridiculous and ludicrous overreach of government authority, in my opinion, and it sounds like Big Business is driving the massacre to knock out potential competitors.

TRUTH MATTERS » Blog Archive » Michigan DNR Gone Crazy Killing Pigs on Small Family Farms

www.BakersGreenAcres.com - Your Pastured Poultry People

I know a lot of people on the left have good intentions for a big government - whether it be for the sake of social welfare or laws and regulations intended to help people - but just note that sometimes these regulations/government authority can spiral out of control. I don't want to wind up living in a police state, and this idea has always kept me from drifting too far left of center.

Thoughts about this pig slaughter? Big government?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  2. gallantwarrior

gallantwarrior Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    So far in the boonies, I'm not on google street vi
    Ratings:
    +6,126
    Being a farmer, and having more than a passing interest in heritage breeds and what they represent, I find this to be a travesty and government overreach of the highest order.
    The preservation of heritage breeds of animals and plants is an attempt to preserve genetic diversity in our foodstocks. Here are two cites that might help explain why it is important to protect and foster heritage stock.
    American Livestock Breeds Conservancy
    Heritage, Heirloom and Traditional Breeds - The Issues - Sustainable Table

What is the motivation behind government suppression of preservation of heritage stock? Well, at the risk of being called out as a conspiracy nut, the reasons are deeply rooted in the One-World-Order push. While the move to restrict food production to a few "approved" sources is touted as the only way to protect world food supplies, follow the money and you will observe that, once again, there are only a few very wealthy companies that will control what you will be permitted to eat. Of course, the usual suspects are the same companies that have bought and paid for the politicians responsible for establishing the government policies that force farmers and other folk interested in raising their own food to destroy and adulterate their products.
    CODEX ALIMENTARIUS
    Health Warning: Codex Alimentarus is Coming | Health/Medicine |Axisoflogic.com

3. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Oh, for heaven's sake... does our government not have better things to waste our money on than destroying the livelihoods of the citizenry?

4. gallantwarrior

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,126
    Apparently not.

5. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    This is the kind of thing that, as a conservative, just makes me seriously pissed... actual, genuine outrage.... and I don't give a rat's ass whether it's Ds or Rs... it's fucking pathetic.

6. KevinWestern

KevinWestern Hello

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +535
    I don’t know if I necessarily buy into the full out coordinated one-world-order takeover, but I do agree that this assault on small farmers most certainly is rooted in powerful business interests using the government to thwart competition.

I think a lot of people on the left accuse the right of being “buddies” with big corporations by seeing only through the "tax lens", but fail to realize that big corporations actually welcome a big government because it can be used as a vessel to crush small competitors by piling on mounds and mounds of unnecessary and costly business regulations.

Big Business creates the rulebook of Big Government.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  7. gallantwarrior

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,126
    Make no mistake, this atrocity does cross those party lines. Pols of all stripes are paid for by the giant agribusinesses that would have us eating only the GMO trash they have engineered. GMO generally means that the propagation of food supplies no longer follows the natural order. GMO plants are sterile. They no longer set fertile seeds and have often been genetically modified in some what that is harmful to those organisms that consume them. The harm of GMO plants is not only consumed directly by humans, but passes through animals fed those GMOs. Heritage livestock include many strains that have been bred out of the more common stock available now. Although a heritage pig, for instance, does not grow to market weight as quickly, it will produce leaner, more nutritious meat.

8. gallantwarrior

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,126
    Actually, the Codex Alimentarus is a UN document that outlines controls and regulations for food production worldwide. Right now, only certain countries have bought into the Codex. If the regime in control of the US government decides to adopt UN policies, we might still see the robust agricultural production of the small holders in this country crushed.

9. peach174

peach174 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,356
    Well this explains somewhat, what Rachel Maddow on MSNBC is ranting about, the Republican state legislature.
    Michigan has been run by the Dem's for 40 years and the people of Michigan decided to vote for a majority of Repubs back in. Dem's are now having a fit about all kinds of things.
    The Repubs are trying to undo the over blown state government that has been run by the Dem's.
    There is so much corruption in that state.
    This report about the pigs proves just how big the state control of Dem's bills and regulations has become.

10. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,295
    People don't want a large government but they do want Medicare, Social Security, a strong military, environmental protection, social programs for the poor, and a host of other government services.