What's Your Remedy for Insomnia?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I used to fall asleep without any warning and sleep straight through 7-9 hours. About a month ago, I started waking up around 2 and 3 in the morning and couldn't for the life of me, fall back asleep. Thank goodness for coffee and Redbull. Those are the only two things that keep me going during the day when I can't keep my eyes open.

All advice, serious or humorous will be appreciated. :eusa_pray:

~Sleepless in Brooklyn

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
I'm an insomniac.

If you can't get back to sleep in the middle of the night, get out of bed and do something for 20-30 minutes - watch TV, come to USMB, etc.

Move to another part of the house and try to sleep there - another bed, perhaps the couch.

I used to fall asleep without any warning and sleep straight through 7-9 hours. About a month ago, I started waking up around 2 and 3 in the morning and couldn't for the life of me, fall back asleep. Thank goodness for coffee and Redbull. Those are the only two things that keep me going during the day when I can't keep my eyes open.

~Sleepless in Brooklyn

What is keeping you awake at 2 or 3 AM? Are you worried about something or dwelling on things?

I personally have found that treating insomnia where people fall asleep easy, but then wake up is rather difficult. You can take all the sedatives you want, which help you FALL asleep, but don't necessarily KEEP you asleep.

With that being said, I would suggest benadryl initially since it is safe, cheap, and OTC. Some people also try melatonin which may be helpful.

I would also try to figure out if something is bugging you to keep you awake. Or maybe an uncomfortable bed, room too hot, or something like that. Most importantly is to not just lie in bed for hours while you can't sleep. That is counterproductive. Just get up and do something.

Melatonin works for some. My sister uses benadryl, and says it is a charm. If I pop up awake at 2 or 3, I get up, do an hour's research for my next work, and normally I am so bored with myself at that point, I can go back to sleep. But if you are still popping awake another week or so from now, make an appoint with your physician and ask about sleep apnea therapy.

~Sleepless in Brooklyn

What is keeping you awake at 2 or 3 AM? Are you worried about something or dwelling on things?

I personally have found that treating insomnia where people fall asleep easy, but then wake up is rather difficult. You can take all the sedatives you want, which help you FALL asleep, but don't necessarily KEEP you asleep.

With that being said, I would suggest benadryl initially since it is safe, cheap, and OTC. Some people also try melatonin which may be helpful.

I would also try to figure out if something is bugging you to keep you awake. Or maybe an uncomfortable bed, room too hot, or something like that. Most importantly is to not just lie in bed for hours while you can't sleep. That is counterproductive. Just get up and do something.

Initially, something was on my mind, but within a week the issue I kept thinking about was resolved. After that I thought I would be able to sleep normally...but I was wrong. Maybe it became a habit?

It's interesting that you mention melatonin because I got some yesterday and now I am experimenting with dosages. I don't like to take drugs, but I may succumb if I don't get some decent sleep soon. I'm getting really irritable, short-tempered, and my concentration is shot. I remember taking Benadryl for allergies, and that used to put me out right away.

My husband jokingly said it may be midlife crisis type thing since I'm approaching 40. It is coincidental that this insomnia began a month before my birthday. I never gave the age thing a second thought, but who knows?

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
don't dwell on it, worry about lack of sleep only makes it worse. Make going to bed a routine. No food or exercise before bedtime unless it is warm milk. Milk has something in it that promotes sleep. No TV or other distractions. Do you meditate? Try some relaxation therapy too. PS don't come to USMB.. Librals will make ya irritated! :)

~Sleepless in Brooklyn

Initially, something was on my mind, but within a week the issue I kept thinking about was resolved. After that I thought I would be able to sleep normally...but I was wrong. Maybe it became a habit?

It's interesting that you mention melatonin because I got some yesterday and now I am experimenting with dosages. I don't like to take drugs, but I may succumb if I don't get some decent sleep soon. I'm getting really irritable, short-tempered, and my concentration is shot. I remember taking Benadryl for allergies, and that used to put me out right away.

My husband jokingly said it may be midlife crisis type thing since I'm approaching 40. It is coincidental that this insomnia began a month before my birthday. I never gave the age thing a second thought, but who knows?
Dear Friend,

It could be many things that is causing this. Usually it is stress but since you do not think it is then I doubt it is. I do know from my own situation that insomnia is a by product of things like Hormones, thyroid, vitamin deficiency. Each and every one of these I've been dealing with. I'm getting better now. I think most of it was the vitamin deficiency and hormonal changes at the age of 51.

Could you be going through pre-menopause and your hormones are fluctuating more than normal? You bet but there is no way to tell except a hint of maybe your periods being off, or change in flow.

I would talk to your doctor about it. So many little things can cause insomnia, brain fog, fatigue and I've only listed a few.

Nothing has worked for me but to just lay in bed and toss and turn. I've tried everything too. Only one thing kind of helped and that was putting on the Andy Griffith show late at night. :lol:

Dear Friend,

It could be many things that is causing this. Usually it is stress but since you do not think it is then I doubt it is. I do know from my own situation that insomnia is a by product of things like Hormones, thyroid, vitamin deficiency. Each and every one of these I've been dealing with. I'm getting better now. I think most of it was the vitamin deficiency and hormonal changes at the age of 51.

Could you be going through pre-menopause and your hormones are fluctuating more than normal? You bet but there is no way to tell except a hint of maybe your periods being off, or change in flow.

I would talk to your doctor about it. So many little things can cause insomnia, brain fog, fatigue and I've only listed a few.

Nothing has worked for me but to just lay in bed and toss and turn. I've tried everything too. Only one thing kind of helped and that was putting on the Andy Griffith show late at night. :lol:

Well, I popped 2 melatonin pills (2 mg total). I slept from about 10:30 to 2:10. I'm wide-eyed and bushy tailed. I might go take Benadryl because I have a long day tomorrow and I really need the rest.

Terry- I didn't consider the hormones, so I'm going to make a doctor's appointment. Thanks. :)

~Sleepless in Brooklyn

My remedy is to stay up till I pass out. So like every 3 days or so I get about 6 to 8 hours of sleep and in between a few hours here and there.

~Sleepless in Brooklyn

My remedy is to stay up till I pass out. So like every 3 days or so I get about 6 to 8 hours of sleep and in between a few hours here and there.

I'm guessing that you don't work or have any specific responsibilities during the day.

~Sleepless in Brooklyn

I'm guessing that you don't work or have any specific responsibilities during the day.

Don't be silly. He's got this board.

Forum List

Back