What's wrong with atheists?

"Atheist", the way the so-called "new atheists" use it, is closer to a religion itself.
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

– Stephen F Roberts

Not the first time I have heard that one, either. When YOU understand why I rejected the others, then you will know WTH you are talking about.

I'm not an atheist, but I do believe there isn't a common point of view, or any generalization to be made about atheists and their world view. Some will believe in hating a lot of people, others will be tolerant of others.

For examples of intolerance, check out "militant atheism", as practiced by Mao or Stalin, for example. That kind of belief can also lead to some sort of pseudo-religion, North Korea being a strong case.

But what I want to say is that it is futile to point out the bad examples, for example what I have stated in the previous paragraph, as any sort of example that all atheists are like that. That type of argument, despite being faulty reasoning, is very often used on our forum.

I'm not an atheist, but I do believe there isn't a common point of view, or any generalization to be made about atheists and their world view. Some will believe in hating a lot of people, others will be tolerant of others.

For examples of intolerance, check out "militant atheism", as practiced by Mao or Stalin, for example. That kind of belief can also lead to some sort of pseudo-religion, North Korea being a strong case.

But what I want to say is that it is futile to point out the bad examples, for example what I have stated in the previous paragraph, as any sort of example that all atheists are like that. That type of argument, despite being faulty reasoning, is very often used on our forum.

On the contrary, I am singling out the atheists who ARE like that, as exemplified by non-experts like Richard Dawkins, who IS NOT a theologian or a philosopher. He should stick to his own specialty. THAT is a common characteristic of these types of trolls, they are attempting to expound on matters they know nothing about.

I wasn't particularly referring to you, it's pretty weird you took it that way, and your leftist avatar is also pretty weird concerning your beliefs, but o.k., I do see your point about a lot of atheists and church history and doctrine, as you mentioned in the o.p.

Some Christians will also say that the Spanish Inquisition is the work of Satan or something like that, so that also cannot be a clear excuse one way or another.

Of course an atheist will have some philosophical problem with some aspects of religion, I was just saying some atheists will insult all religions, while others may be more tolerant.

I do not know enough about Richard Dawkins to comment on him.

I had someone ask me recently why, if atheism is so fulfilling, why are atheists so angry? I have been thinking about it and this is what I came up with:

Number one, atheists have to establish some kind of victimhood status so they can make it personal. They'll go back a thousand years to complain about something the Church allegedly did (and they usually make that up) to establish some level of butthurtedness. (I know, that's not a word, stay on point.) The Crusades is one of their favorites because they can make things up about that and nobody bothers to check the facts.

One of their complaints is that they claim Christianity (It's always Christianity, they never bitch about Judaism or Islam) "passes laws" that keep them from doing things they want to do, whatever that is. Well, we don't "pass laws", we have state and federal legislatures to do that. So the real problem is that we vote. The idea that people who don't believe what they believe vote is repugnant to them. So they hate freedom.

Finally, if I ever meet an atheist who has the slightest inkling of a clue about what Christianity really believes I will shake his hand and buy him a cigar. What they usually do is twist the beliefs of a doomsday cult and claim that's what the Bible teaches and what Christianity believes.

BUT, let some cult (you know who you are) speak up and they will defend them with their dying breath because they think the very fact that heretics exist must mean they have a case.

Pathetic. Hypocritical. Illogical. Non factual. Atheists.
This fails as a straw man fallacy.

Bullshit. I have heard this a million times. This is exactly what they do, and all of your "I know you are but what am I?' won't change that.

Broad brushes paint poorly

Not all atheists are angry!
You can find angry people everywhere.
Some of them are angry and even vulgar.
Some want to destroy all religions but I think they're just a small number of fanatics :)

Not all atheists are angry!
You can find angry people everywhere.
Some of them are angry and even vulgar.
Some want to destroy all religions but I think they're just a small number of fanatics :)
In my experience the uber religious people are the meanest most vile people on the planet

BUT, let some cult (you know who you are) speak up and they will defend them with their dying breath because they think the very fact that heretics exist must mean they have a case.

I heard that even the devil believes in God. True?

If you were a believer in the God of Abraham, the Father and God of Jesus, then why do you defy the laws of God, desecrate the teachings of Jesus, the actual Body of Christ, and get down on your knees before a lifeless cracker made by human hands as if it was a living god that could grant spiritual life to all those who worship and eat it?

What species of believer in God would do such a thing?

If you are not an Atheist, Is your openly professed dedication to desecrating the words of Jesus and defying the laws of God and misleading others to do the same a deliberate demonstration of pure hatred for God, Jesus, friends, family, and neighbor?

What a guy!

Do you accept donations for your charitable work?

Last edited:
Atheists are just as deluded as theists, as there's no proof that a god can't exist.

I wasn't particularly referring to you, it's pretty weird you took it that way, and your leftist avatar is also pretty weird concerning your beliefs, but o.k., I do see your point about a lot of atheists and church history and doctrine, as you mentioned in the o.p.

Some Christians will also say that the Spanish Inquisition is the work of Satan or something like that, so that also cannot be a clear excuse one way or another.

Of course an atheist will have some philosophical problem with some aspects of religion, I was just saying some atheists will insult all religions, while others may be more tolerant.

I do not know enough about Richard Dawkins to comment on him.

My avatar says "Procrastinators unite - tomorrow".

Richard Dawkins is a biologist who wrote a book titled "The God Delusion". Atheists glommed onto it like it was holy writ.

Maybe I should start writing biology books.

I had someone ask me recently why, if atheism is so fulfilling, why are atheists so angry? I have been thinking about it and this is what I came up with:

Number one, atheists have to establish some kind of victimhood status so they can make it personal. They'll go back a thousand years to complain about something the Church allegedly did (and they usually make that up) to establish some level of butthurtedness. (I know, that's not a word, stay on point.) The Crusades is one of their favorites because they can make things up about that and nobody bothers to check the facts.

One of their complaints is that they claim Christianity (It's always Christianity, they never bitch about Judaism or Islam) "passes laws" that keep them from doing things they want to do, whatever that is. Well, we don't "pass laws", we have state and federal legislatures to do that. So the real problem is that we vote. The idea that people who don't believe what they believe vote is repugnant to them. So they hate freedom.

Finally, if I ever meet an atheist who has the slightest inkling of a clue about what Christianity really believes I will shake his hand and buy him a cigar. What they usually do is twist the beliefs of a doomsday cult and claim that's what the Bible teaches and what Christianity believes.

This fails as a straw man fallacy.

Bullshit. I have heard this a million times. This is exactly what they do, and all of your "I know you are but what am I?' won't change that.

Broad brushes paint poorly

Actually, they work great. Try to be more or less specific.

Most people don't become atheists so much as never believe in your fairy tales from the beginning.

Most Christians become Christians because that is what their family did and they just went along with it.

Something to consider: Like you, I do not believe atheists (as a whole) are an angry people. However, prejudicial statements may often be construed as anger. Constant poking may also be construed as anger. Notice the constant use of "fairy tales."

When we are on Native American lands, we may not believe the land they designate is Holy Ground--but whatever our own beliefs, the greatest majority of people are very respectful of another's Holy Ground. Sneeringly addressing scripture as "Fairy Tales" is not being respectful of another's Holy Ground--and it does come across as anger. Just a thought.

This is not to mention the comments from atheists about "Zombie Jesus", a term so vulgar and repulsive just repeating it makes me feel like I need a shower.

Those types are closer to Jeffrey Daumer's atheism than any genuine intellectual opinion. They just can't stand anything that stands in the way of their compulsive addictions and mindless self-indulgence, and as narcissists just can't tolerate any belief that contradicts their need that they should be considered the Center Of The Universe; they resemble defective personality types like Hitler or Charles Manson than normal humans. It's progressive mental illness; many of them have the characteristics of chronic cocaine and meth addicts.

Some of them subscribe to their own religion, scientism, which is a known phenomenon, I didn't make it up.

Hmmm I am an atheist and I am not angry. Even though once again I am being attacked by a Christian just because I don't believe in your fairy tale.

So- your claim is
a) Non-factual- since I am an atheist and not angry
b) Pathetic- since you felt the need to attack others for not believing in your fairy tales
c) Illogical- since you have not established that any atheists are angry.
d) Hypocritical- since you don't hold yourself to the same standard.

Why do you feel a need to attack atheists?

There are at least two types of atheist. The most common is the apathetic atheist. The second most common is the psychotic atheist. The psychotic atheist are the ones that the OP is referencing. Those are the ones that engage in abnormal sexual behaviors and hate being told by Christians that something is wrong with their particularly favorite sexual behavior. It's weird. I eat beef all the time but I don't care what Hindus say about me eating beef. I'm not sure why psychotic atheist care what Christians say about their particular flavor of sexual behavior. That's why I call them psychotic atheist. They want to destroy the people that disagree with them. I'm pretty sure that is utterly psychotic.

Is there a apathetic non-stamp collector? The one who just doesn't care whether other people are collecting stamps?
LOL.

I don't believe in the fairy tales that Christians believe- or Muslims believe or Jews believe. Invariably here at USMB though it is only Christians who feel an abnormal need to attack me for not believing in their fairy tales.

Then we have you- attacking atheists who engage in 'abnormal sexual behavior' - what the hell are those- specifically?

All adultery is wrong according to the Bible- and almost all remarriage after divorce is adultery according to the Bible- so according to the Bible- all sex outside of marriage and virtually all sex within a second or third marriage is 'adultery' - is that your 'abnormal sexual behavior'- that you feel a need to attack atheists for?

The OP did not attack me because I happen to enjoy getting a blow job from my wife- but attacked me because I don't believe in his fairy tales. My response to being attacked- to logically respond- is not psychotic- its entirely rational.

Now- why do so many Christians feel a need to attack atheists.

I attacked atheists for being assholes, what they actually believe is beside the point.

So if I attack Christians for being assholes who attack atheists- I am not attacking what they believe?

And fyi- by asshole Christians I mean self described faux Christians like you.

Most Christians have no issue with atheists- but there are some asshole faux Christians like yourself who go out of your way to attack those who don't believe in your fairy tales.

Atheists are just as deluded as theists, as there's no proof that a god can't exist.

As an atheist I don't think that its impossible that a god could exist- I just have seen no evidence that a god or gods do exist.

It's true religious fanatics are mean and dangerous
But I know some people who were atheist or materialist they were so mean and fanatics
They had no doubt about what they believed :(

Yep- you don't have to be an asshole or a Christian to be an asshole. Assholes can exist on either side of the equation.

Most people don't become atheists so much as never believe in your fairy tales from the beginning.

Most Christians become Christians because that is what their family did and they just went along with it.

Something to consider: Like you, I do not believe atheists (as a whole) are an angry people. However, prejudicial statements may often be construed as anger. Constant poking may also be construed as anger. Notice the constant use of "fairy tales."

When we are on Native American lands, we may not believe the land they designate is Holy Ground--but whatever our own beliefs, the greatest majority of people are very respectful of another's Holy Ground. Sneeringly addressing scripture as "Fairy Tales" is not being respectful of another's Holy Ground--and it does come across as anger. Just a thought.

Something to consider- I only refer to the fairy tales as fairy tales when faux Christians feel a need to attack me for not believing in their fairy tales.

I have a lot of respect for much of the content of the Bible- I have read it multiple times- I admire much of the wisdom attributed to Jesus. When I am with my Christian friends I can have great discussions about what content from the Bible means. I never refer to the Bible as fairy tales then.

But when assholes attack me for not believing as they believe- then I feel fine as pointing out that their beliefs are no more sacred than believing in leprechauns or in Thor.

I had someone ask me recently why, if atheism is so fulfilling, .

Atheism is as fulfilling as not collecting stamps is 'fulfilling'.

I don't believe in your fairy tales- why would you have any expectation that I would be 'fulfilled' by not believing in your fairy tales- or not collecting your stamps?

Quite all right, I don't believe YOUR fairy tales, either.

Yet you attack me for not believing in your fairy tales- but I do not go around attacking you for believing in your fairy tales.

Why are you such an asshole for Christ?

Forum List

Back