What's the dumbest thing a school teacher has ever told you?

All we had funny and not funny teachers.
All they pretended to be clever and respectful persons.
But there are some stories about teachers' stupidity.
In middle school my science teacher told me that since YouTube used so much space to stream videos, that it would eventually take up all the space in the internet and destroy it.
Your turn.

I was told on the first day of first grade in public school when we were instructed to introduce ourselves and tell the class our name that I was miss pronouncing my first name. She insisted to me and the whole class that "Sean" was pronounced "See-ann" NOT "shawn". She sent me to the VP's office because I told her she was wrong and I probably knew how to pronounce my own name. My parents were called to come get me and accept the teachers pronunciation. I obviously did not comply. For my insurrection the teacher hated me that year. It was a senseless and stupid way to start my education.

In middle school my science teacher told me that since YouTube used so much space to stream videos, that it would eventually take up all the space in the internet and destroy it.
Your turn.

I was told on the first day of first grade in public school when we were instructed to introduce ourselves and tell the class our name that I was miss pronouncing my first name. She insisted to me and the whole class that "Sean" was pronounced "See-ann" NOT "shawn". She sent me to the VP's office because I told her she was wrong and I probably knew how to pronounce my own name. My parents were called to come get me and accept the teachers pronunciation. I obviously did not comply. For my insurrection the teacher hated me that year. It was a senseless and stupid way to start my education.
I've wondered for a long time why so many people misspell "Shawn" as "Sean".

Last edited:
Your turn.

I've wondered for a long time why so many people misspell "Shawn" as "Sean".

Ah... Yes...My EXACT memory of the first grade. You can't argue with stupid. It would be funny if it wasn't so very true. It was back in 1955. Our schools were still practicing "Duck and Cover". Not that having our school 1/2 mile from a NIKE anti missile missile site really was a part of the equation. That and Seattle was the home base for the Boeing Company and much of the nations military secrets were being produced all around Seattle and Puget Sound. We, except the authorities including our teachers, were all very aware that our school and our homes would be part of any first strike by the Ruskies. Still they all acted like today's RWers willfully ignorant of reality.

It was very difficult to take our teachers seriously instructing us students to get underneath our desks if we happened to see a bright flash of light out side of the school room's windows.

The authorities finally got around to blaming pot and hippies on the growing lack of respect for educators and the elected officials including the police but all they had to do was look in the mirror to see the genesis of the eroding of respect for the establishment. The neo cons and born agains and those generally in power have NEVER taken responsibility for their actions. They were ridiculous then as they are now. The last republican that told the truth was Eisenhower when he warned of the Military Political Industrial Complex.

We were warned that we could be expelled from school if we did not participate in the sham that was "Duck and Cover".

Schools were meant to teach children to obey authority..not to use our brains to become smarter.

There were many "stupid" things our teachers told us. The truth was way down on the list. My younger brothers up on Orcas Island were actually physically assaulted by their teachers for questioning Jesus, God and the Bible. That's how the system treated rich kids when they would not conform.

I know this thread is supposed to be sort of a joke but the truth and reality of the lies and coercion wasn't funny.

When I was 11, my maths teacher told me I was sexy and had a really big penis.

He got fired and went to prison - not sure why.

When I was 11, my maths teacher told me I was sexy and had a really big penis.

He got fired and went to prison - not sure why.
Was he right?

Perhaps he (she) was actually a transgendered woman that was jealous because she did not have one

Last edited:
Was he right?

He was, but I've never been able to confirm his other claim.

I've really tried, even talking up yoga in an attempt to gain flexibility, but I've never managed to reach to see if it does taste sweet.

When I was in Jr High, a history teacher said we all should be proud that so many graduates of our school had died in Viet Nam, and we should be proud that so many more would be going there. It was the first time I remember being truly disgusted by an authority figure.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's not wrong, immoral, or evil. One could posit, in fact, that to make something like genocide legal is to add an even greater component of evil to it.

That's exactly the point when we say the state doesn't have the right to use the death penalty.

Not especially interested in the trouble you and the mouse in your pocket have with differentiating between executing heinous criminals and wholesale slaughter of innocents.

Yeah yeah yeah, appeal to emotion, seventeen hundredth time today, BOR-ing.

I wouldn't expect you to recognize logic when you see it.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's not wrong, immoral, or evil. One could posit, in fact, that to make something like genocide legal is to add an even greater component of evil to it.

That's exactly the point when we say the state doesn't have the right to use the death penalty.

Not especially interested in the trouble you and the mouse in your pocket have with differentiating between executing heinous criminals and wholesale slaughter of innocents.

That one isn't capable.

When I was in the 5th grade my teacher told me that girls could not have adventures. They could marry adventurous men.

Today isn't much different. Girls are told they can't have adventures. If they want adventures they must be adventurous men and need sex reassignment surgery.

When I was in the 5th grade my teacher told me that girls could not have adventures. They could marry adventurous men.

Today isn't much different. Girls are told they can't have adventures. If they want adventures they must be adventurous men and need sex reassignment surgery.

No, girls are not told that today.

I often wonder how many have used their algebra, geometry and calculus in real life. All my kids took it and when I asked them, not one said they had ever used it. I often thought of it as a part of an admittance test, if you could do the higher math you could do college work.

My 8th grade algebra teacher, Mrs. Hollingsworth, berated me regularly in front of the class for my inability to comprehend what she considered simple.

During one of her more brutal tirades at me, she yelled out "What do you think you'll be able to do in life without being able to do this?"

"I'm going to be a pilot", I replied.

This statement caused her to become unhinged and thus she screeched the dumbest thing I ever heard a teacher say:

"Ha! Pilots have to be good at math! You'll never make it."

After a 31-year career of flying jets all over the world, I still suck at all things mathematical. Up yours Mrs. Hollingsworth.

I often wonder how many have used their algebra, geometry and calculus in real life. All my kids took it and when I asked them, not one said they had ever used it. I often thought of it as a part of an admittance test, if you could do the higher math you could do college work.

My 8th grade algebra teacher, Mrs. Hollingsworth, berated me regularly in front of the class for my inability to comprehend what she considered simple.

During one of her more brutal tirades at me, she yelled out "What do you think you'll be able to do in life without being able to do this?"

This statement caused her to become unhinged and thus she screeched the dumbest thing I ever heard a teacher say:

After a 31-year career of flying jets all over the world, I still suck at all things mathematical. Up yours Mrs. Hollingsworth.

8th grade and you're still this bitter? Talk about arrested development...

8th grade and you're still this bitter? Talk about arrested development...

Didn't see much sign of bitterness. Just another reason why that goal was so important. I wish Mrs. Hollingsworth could read this.

LOL How about irony? Can you recognize irony? :biggrin:

LOL How about irony? Can you recognize irony? :biggrin:

Yabbut I understand you have to have intelligence to get irony. Somebody posted that once.... :)

Forum List

Back