What's the dumbest thing a school teacher has ever told you?

I often wonder how many have used their algebra, geometry and calculus in real life. All my kids took it and when I asked them, not one said they had ever used it. I often thought of it as a part of an admittance test, if you could do the higher math you could do college work.

I couldn't say about calculus, since I never took calculus, but people actually use algebra and geometry quite often. They just don't realize that's what they're doing.

That's an opinion. But a correct one.

A state sanctioned execution cannot be murder by the definition of murder. Murder is defined as illegal premeditation of taking a life.

A state cannot act illegally? :lol:

Why does this remind me of Nixon's "when the President does it, it's not illegal"...

The state makes the laws, the law states the state can execute a convicted murderer. So it is legal, therefore not murder.
Therefore, based on your reasoning, the genocide perpetuated by the Nazi's was not murder. Apparently, it was okay to put to death so many people because it was State santioned. The Nuremburg Tribunals got it all wrong. Uh huh. Not.
I just know that whenever there is a discussion about abortion, someone usually points out that abortion is not murder because it is legal.

Well, it's not, because it is. Where Esmeralda goes wrong is in defining the word "murder" by her emotions, instead of what it means. Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's not wrong, immoral, or evil. One could posit, in fact, that to make something like genocide legal is to add an even greater component of evil to it.

I heard this constantly as a child. "You can make good money doing that." "People make good money doing that." "Surely you want to do something better with your life than that."

It seemed to be that the only thing that mattered was making good money. Meanwhile in real life our parents were making squat and didn't seem to care. Now my generation is all grown up and completely disillusioned and pissed off.

Why didn't they just teach us that working hard was noble? Instead of teaching us that hard work was degrading? Dumb fucking teachers. They taught us not to do drugs but gave us every opportunity to fail emotionally and turn to drugs as a relief from our life of inevitable failure. We will never live up to the standard that they painted for us.
You were encouraged to be self sufficient so that other ppl didn't have to provide for/be saddled with you. Get over it.

the school has secretaries who can proofread and even compose your stuff for you....

Really? Where is this school?

Most schools have clerical staff.

They don't compose documents for teachers, I assure you.
Yes the only people less qualified to teach our kids the language are the office staff. Unless you're in a charter school, where the teachers are actually competent and answer directly to the community.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's not wrong, immoral, or evil. One could posit, in fact, that to make something like genocide legal is to add an even greater component of evil to it.

That's exactly the point when we say the state doesn't have the right to use the death penalty.

Employers would look at your high school records to see how many days you were absent or tardy. lol.

During the cold war a teacher told us the russian had to eat Black bread not the nice wonder bread we eat LOL

Remember when you were told it went on your PERMANENT record?

Where is this permanent record?

I heard this constantly as a child. "You can make good money doing that." "People make good money doing that." "Surely you want to do something better with your life than that."

It seemed to be that the only thing that mattered was making good money. Meanwhile in real life our parents were making squat and didn't seem to care. Now my generation is all grown up and completely disillusioned and pissed off.

Why didn't they just teach us that working hard was noble? Instead of teaching us that hard work was degrading? Dumb fucking teachers. They taught us not to do drugs but gave us every opportunity to fail emotionally and turn to drugs as a relief from our life of inevitable failure. We will never live up to the standard that they painted for us.
You were encouraged to be self sufficient so that other ppl didn't have to provide for/be saddled with you. Get over it.

You can't convince me that hard work is degrading. It is engrained in my emotional making that hard work is shameful. However my brain knows better and you can't teach me otherwise. Somebody has to do all the work for all those wealthy taxpayers. There is nothing shameful about helping a wealthy man get rich. Don't try to convince me otherwise. I'm not eight any more .

Last edited:
the school has secretaries who can proofread and even compose your stuff for you....

Again, don't know what school you're dealing with. I was a secretary in our local school district for several years, and helping the teachers with their documents was part of my job. Usually it was just proofreading and Xeroxing but there were occasions when I composed off of an outline.

Yes the only people less qualified to teach our kids the language are the office staff. Unless you're in a charter school, where the teachers are actually competent and answer directly to the community.

Admittedly, clerical staff don't appear to know basic English these days, either.

I didn't say "teach it", though. I just said "make sure you're not sending home documents that are full of errors". Secretaries are supposed to be trained to proofread for mistakes and typos. It's in the job description.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's not wrong, immoral, or evil. One could posit, in fact, that to make something like genocide legal is to add an even greater component of evil to it.

That's exactly the point when we say the state doesn't have the right to use the death penalty.

Not especially interested in the trouble you and the mouse in your pocket have with differentiating between executing heinous criminals and wholesale slaughter of innocents.

Again, don't know what school you're dealing with. I was a secretary in our local school district for several years, and helping the teachers with their documents was part of my job. Usually it was just proofreading and Xeroxing but there were occasions when I composed off of an outline.

Yeah, that is very unusual if true.

You can't convince me that hard work is degrading. It is engrained in my emotional making that hard work is shameful. However my brain knows better and you can't teach me otherwise. Somebody has to do all the work for all those wealthy taxpayers. There is nothing shameful about helping a wealthy man get rich. Don't try to convince me otherwise. I'm not eight any more .

That's what I call a radical interpretation of the text.

Not especially interested in the trouble you and the mouse in your pocket have with differentiating between executing heinous criminals and wholesale slaughter of innocents.

Yeah yeah yeah, appeal to emotion, seventeen hundredth time today, BOR-ing.

Forum List

Back