What's Better? Greed? Giving? Or Government?

Which one of the following private sector choices benefits society more?

• Paying $100 million in taxes to the government.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Giving $100 million to charity.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Investing $100 million in successful commerce and industry.

Votes: 28 82.4%

• Total voters
Thank you, Black Sand. The trolls, numbnuts, and other exercises in futility we sometimes deal with at USMB don't WANT to see the big picture here. And even the intelligent leftists capable of rational thought have refused to even consider the disclaimers and qualifications in the discussion. I have long postulated that liberals/leftists/progressives/statists/political class types are incapable of focusing on and comprehending a big picture concept which is why they are liberals/leftists/progressives/statists/political class.

Yes there is good government and bad government. Some government functions are necessary to a free people, and some government functions are more destructive than they are useful. But government, good or bad, has to remove assets from the economy before it can deliver those same assets. So even in the best case scenario, if something can be done as efficiently and effectively by the private sector, we will get more bang for the buck if the private sector does it instead of the government.

Yes there are good charities and bad charities. And even though we were focused on good charities for the purpose of this discussion, the fact is that a charity can only accomplish so much with the resources it has. And because it is charity, even though it does very good work and accomplishes wonderfully noble things, it too must remove the resource from the economy in order to have it to use, and the high probability is that most benefit of any distribution will be mostly limited to those receiving it.

Yes there are successful, prosperous, ethical businesses and there is scum. For the purpose of this exercise, we are focused on a private person or entity that will risk/use its own resources to start, grow, or expand a successful business. That business will be a customer in the private sector and it will also pay taxes to the government and provide many jobs for people who in turn will be consumers driving the economy, will pay taxes, and most likely some will contribute to charity while making charity less necessary, all while adding to a more robust economy multiplying the dollars invested many times over.

And it really doesn't matter if the business owner is the most selfish, self-centered, greedy, unlikable bastard on earth. The net benefit to society overall of a successful private sector business will still most likely be superior to anything that government or charitable organizations can do with the same amount of money.

ROFL... You might want to stop posting now, you are making yourself out to be a raving lunatic.

I may be a raving lunatic. There may be some here who can provide a reasoned rebuttal for my argument. But you are certainly not qualified to be my judge. And you sure as hell have provided no reasoned rebuttal for my argument. So far you've had nothing all all except ad homnem, non sequitur, and personal insults.

wow, JUST WOW And a liar to boot.

Forum List

Back