What Would You Do? (Education)

Anything taking the blame off of us and put on the families. We have to change the the curriculum from social engineering to purely academics. Also, the families have to finally understand that they, too have the power of making sure their child is prepared for school and supporting the teachers in making sure they are doing homework and understanding that retention is indeed an option at the end of the year if they cannot master the basics of the program.

Just how are you going to make that happen?
By having the schools finally become the authority to school. right now, we enable parents to shirk their responsibilities make allowing students with sub par progress be passed on to the next grade. Once the parents FINALLY realize that working WITH the schools will enable their children to become successful students, they just may realize that they, too, are responsible for their children's success.

We have to stop this culture that schools are not important and make parents realize the children;s progress is also their responsibility. No parent want to see their children fail. It is incumbent of the school and teacher to keep the parents informed early that their child is in peril of not making enough progress. At that time it is up to the teacher to meet with them and design plans for home assistance and extra work in the subjects that they need. That's where workshops for parents are needed and they will focus on the need of their particular child.

No student will be passed onto the next grade without meeting the minimum standards.

In all my experience, I have had but two families reject the help and tried to force passing their child on to the next grade. I and the principal refused and showed them all copies of the communications that I and the school sent to them, plus warnings that retention was possible. The students were retained the following year.

Oh, so it is that easy?

How do you do this when most of the parents of my former students are not Mom and Dad. I could count the number of students in my classes (a total of over 100 students) that had two married parents on one hand! Most lived with drug-addicted mothers, overwhelmed grandmothers, disinterested aunts, or were in the foster care system. Mom or Dad and sometimes both were incarcerated. Most were not born in the US, nor were they US citizens. Those are the students that kill our test scores.

What do you do if a parent speaks a language for which there are literally no translators?

It is so easy to come up with solutions if we assume all of our students come from two-parent, stable, and economically stable families, The problem is most of the time those kids don't need the help.

I sum it up this way: Poor students make for very poor students.

YOU personify the arrogance of the "educational elite". You ARE the problem - not those parents. But, hey, you found an excuse to justify your inability to educate --- so I guess it works for you.

Just put away the holier than thou attitude. It just proves you to be a classless, undereducated moron who like to spam message boards with your tripe.

You could not answer any of those questions, so you went for the insult. That is just like a typical educational expert wannabe!

We are all stocked up on stupid, We don't need any more.

Answer what questions? Your tired little rant about how you could be a really great teacher if only you didn't have to deal with parents? That one?

If you're looking for excuses - and, obviously, you are - that's as good an excuse as any.

No. I'm paying for YOUR child's school through MY taxes. It's not MY public school. I have NO kids. Our taxes pay for our social safety net as well. That doesn't mean we should be paying for mansions out of welfare money simply because folks aren't happy with section 8 apartments. Same applies to schools.

Got it .... let's make sure everybody gets the same education, especially when it's no education at all. Equality is more important than quality, right?

The public school system is broken --- busted --- bad.

Where do you off saying that there is no education at all?

The point I was making (obviously, too subtle for you) is that our education system is built on a 1930s model, and has failed out students. Further, it caters to the lowest common denominator. Those who favor public education are more interested in providing the same level of education to ALL students, rather than providing education appropriate for EACH student. Equality is more important than quality, right?

Now you got it?

You have no evidence to support any of your comments! Our education system was not built on a 1930s model, so you can stop right there.

What is your educational background that qualifies you to pontificate on matters you obviously know little or nothing about other than what you have read from biased sources? I suggest educating yourself on this topic before embarrassing yourself further.

First - my background.

Bachelor's in Journalism - University of Wisconsin
Master's in Political Science - University of Maryland
Adjunct Professor - University of Southern California

8 years on various committees (financial, curriculum, etc) - Chino Unified School District, Chino CA
6 years member School Board - Chino Unified School District, Chino CA
5 years on various committees - District 11, Colorado Springs, CO
4 years member, School Board, District 11, Colorado Springs, CO

Oldest son, high school Physics teacher, football coach
Second son, high school Math teacher, Head football coach at a different school
One daughter in law, Special Education Teacher, transitioning to School administrator

So, you can be assured that I know EXACTLY what I am talking about.

The "1930s model" was simply a reference to the outmoded school structure in use even today that is more predicated on the age of the student, rather than abilities of the student. We group our kids, not by educational level, but by some arbitrary common model based on their age. The result is that some kids get held back (because they can't expand their knowledge while waiting for the rest of the class to catch up) or we leave some behind (because they don't have the basics necessary to understand the level being taught.). Frankly, our school system celebrates mediocrity, while playing lip service to excellence. Even today, we pass kids along simply because of potential social stigma, rather than a concern for preparation for adult life.

Your very own statement about putting a 17 year old and a third grader together - despite the obvious commonality of need for that level of education support - speaks to that very failed model. Are you suggesting that a teacher can't handle a 17 year old and a 8 year old in the same room for one hour a day? If you don't have grades based on age, you don't have a grades stigma.

Now that you know who I am ---- just exactly what would you like to discuss? Come on - embarrass me.

-First of all your children's credentials do NOT add on to yours. Knowing people doesn't make you an expert on that topic or give you more insight. If that were the case I'd be very knowledgable about baseball since I know a few MLB players.

-From what I can see about your post you have exactly 0 years experience teaching in a K-12 classroom

Seriously if you're going to use ethos to make your argument, at least have it be relevant.

How much time you got? There is the native intelligence of the individual students involved, cultural attitudes towards education, nutrition, sleep, environment, Affective issues of every sort, quality of instruction, curriculum, facilities, etc.

And of course I should mention the student's security, state of mind, and support structure, among many other possible factors in many possible combinations.
Anything taking the blame off of us and put on the families. We have to change the the curriculum from social engineering to purely academics. Also, the families have to finally understand that they, too have the power of making sure their child is prepared for school and supporting the teachers in making sure they are doing homework and understanding that retention is indeed an option at the end of the year if they cannot master the basics of the program.

By having the schools finally become the authority to school. right now, we enable parents to shirk their responsibilities make allowing students with sub par progress be passed on to the next grade. Once the parents FINALLY realize that working WITH the schools will enable their children to become successful students, they just may realize that they, too, are responsible for their children's success.

We have to stop this culture that schools are not important and make parents realize the children;s progress is also their responsibility. No parent want to see their children fail. It is incumbent of the school and teacher to keep the parents informed early that their child is in peril of not making enough progress. At that time it is up to the teacher to meet with them and design plans for home assistance and extra work in the subjects that they need. That's where workshops for parents are needed and they will focus on the need of their particular child.

No student will be passed onto the next grade without meeting the minimum standards.

In all my experience, I have had but two families reject the help and tried to force passing their child on to the next grade. I and the principal refused and showed them all copies of the communications that I and the school sent to them, plus warnings that retention was possible. The students were retained the following year.

Nobody seriously questions the responsibility of parents to the educational process. But even you will admit that the schools make every effort to exclude parents from the decision making process. I have sat thru too many P-T conferences in which I was told to "not worry about it - we know what we are doing", or had my suggestions dismissed out of hand. I sat on too many school boards in which the administration would put together a predetermined answer to a problem not yet surfaced, fail to provide justification for that answer, and completely ignore alternative answers, leaving a half-educated school board to rubber stamp the only alternative put before them. Again, the professionals tried to say "we're the experts - just listen to us - we know what we're doing". Frankly, the arrogance in school administrations is appalling.

When is the last time you sat with parents and discussed class alternatives? When did you have to justify using one methodology over another? When is the last time your English teacher sent home a list of books he/she intended to read next year, and asked for parent input? When is the last time graduation criteria was determined with parent input? When is the last time you saw a school board member elected who DIDN'T have teachers' union support? When was the last time you sat in a school board in which a parent's time to address the board wasn't restricted to 2 or 5 minutes?

Educators complain about "teaching to the test". Why?
Given that the test supposedly reflects what we want out students to know, it would seem inherently logical that the student should be taught what's on the test. Educators want to make teaching all about magic. They don't want to be held to specific and measurable quantifiers, because that would encourage qualitative judgement of their work. Simply, most educators don't want to be responsible to parents, and most educators consider parents a necessary evil.

Common Core is only the latest thing to fall prey to the "holier than thou" attitude of educators. It was not enough that simple, clear cut expectations was established, against which school and teacher performance could be measured. Educators immediately began to muddy the pictures, not only telling schools WHAT they needed to teach, but HOW they would teach it. School administrations saw CC as a way to control its teachers, not allowing them the flexibility necessary in the classroom. State administrators saw CC as a way to control school administrations, and federal agencies saw it as a way to dictate all the way down to the classroom. Enter the teacher's unions - who clearly don't want their clientele performance measured at all - and we create the political morass we have today.

Everybody wants to be in charge - and, the meantime, Johnny at the local McDonalds can't make change, and I get engineering graduates that can barely write their own name, much less put together a viable, understanding engineering proposal.

Of course, those parents accepted your help. They WANT to contribute, but the school system today and just patting them on the back, and telling them not to worry about it, because "... the experts got it all under control."

BS.

-Don't make the mistake in thinking that every parent cares about their child's education. Unfortunately it's usually the students who need support from their parents the most that don't get it

-As an English teacher I have ZERO input in what novels we read in class...how could I possibly ask parents for input when I don't get any?

-Should graduation requirements really be up to parental input? What if parents decide that students don't need to enroll in any math classes-would that make sense to you?

-I don't complain about "teaching to a test", most teachers don't. What I do complain about is being told from my district not to "teach to the test", but rather to "teach the skills necessary to do well on the test"...wtf is that about? Tell me whether you want me teaching to the test or not--don't tell me contradictions.

-Where do you get the idea that most educators view parents as a necessary evil? A few parents absolutely are, a few parents are amazing and make my job and classroom run more efficiently, most aren't involved unless they get a phone call home.

-Common Core is a set of standards NOT a curriculum...your post makes it seem like you can't differentiate the difference.

-In my experience the kids who'll end up working at McDonalds aren't the ones with parents that are involved. They're usually the kids who come from a single parent household, and their parents will show up to football games, buy them shoes for $150, buy them Beats headphones...but wont bother to show up on conference night.

I currently teach 152 students. Guess how many parents showed up on conference night? FOUR (and two of them were for the same kid-so three students had parents show up). 3 out 152, or 2%. If the parents want input in my classroom (and I want them to)-all they have to do is show up. If they don't show up for conference, they don't send me emails, they don't call my work number, they don't send notes with children, they ignore my emails/phone calls/etc...what do they expect?

I would love and embrace parents who want to get involved with their children's education-but I can't force them to and I don't attempt to.

It's painfully clear that you have zero experience in a K-12 environment.

PS: I LOVE being evaluated because while I'm not god's gift to teaching, every year my observations and test scores beat my the district and school average. For the most recent exams that took place in mid-December, my students beat the district average by a full letter grade, and my school average by about 6.5% Considering I teach English and most of my students come from more non-English speaking backgrounds than most of my county-I know I'm a great teacher.

Why wouldn't I embrace being evaluated?

Last edited:
The time has come.

It is time for us to take control of our government. Rather than wait to see how the government is going to fix our problems, we need to TELL them how to fix our problems.

Lesson 1. Education

What would you do to turn around our obviously malfunctioning education system?

All options are on the table --- what's your recommendations?

(Yes, I have some ideas ... but I'm going to read yours first. If they're good, I'm going to claim them as my own!!)

Abolish the DEA. Let state and local governments run their education system without interference from the federal government. Many will allow for a voucher system that will allow poorer families to enroll in higher performing schools. Public schools will be forced to perform or perish.

Why do you want to get rid of the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA)?

Typo- meant department of edu. Obviously

That would be the Education Department.

Sorry to confuse you.

No. I'm paying for YOUR child's school through MY taxes. It's not MY public school. I have NO kids. Our taxes pay for our social safety net as well. That doesn't mean we should be paying for mansions out of welfare money simply because folks aren't happy with section 8 apartments. Same applies to schools.

Got it .... let's make sure everybody gets the same education, especially when it's no education at all. Equality is more important than quality, right?

The point I was making (obviously, too subtle for you) is that our education system is built on a 1930s model, and has failed out students. Further, it caters to the lowest common denominator. Those who favor public education are more interested in providing the same level of education to ALL students, rather than providing education appropriate for EACH student. Equality is more important than quality, right?

Now you got it?

You have no evidence to support any of your comments! Our education system was not built on a 1930s model, so you can stop right there.

What is your educational background that qualifies you to pontificate on matters you obviously know little or nothing about other than what you have read from biased sources? I suggest educating yourself on this topic before embarrassing yourself further.

First - my background.

8 years on various committees (financial, curriculum, etc) - Chino Unified School District, Chino CA

One daughter in law, Special Education Teacher, transitioning to School administrator

The "1930s model" was simply a reference to the outmoded school structure in use even today that is more predicated on the age of the student, rather than abilities of the student. We group our kids, not by educational level, but by some arbitrary common model based on their age. The result is that some kids get held back (because they can't expand their knowledge while waiting for the rest of the class to catch up) or we leave some behind (because they don't have the basics necessary to understand the level being taught.). Frankly, our school system celebrates mediocrity, while playing lip service to excellence. Even today, we pass kids along simply because of potential social stigma, rather than a concern for preparation for adult life.

Your very own statement about putting a 17 year old and a third grader together - despite the obvious commonality of need for that level of education support - speaks to that very failed model. Are you suggesting that a teacher can't handle a 17 year old and a 8 year old in the same room for one hour a day? If you don't have grades based on age, you don't have a grades stigma.

Now that you know who I am ---- just exactly what would you like to discuss? Come on - embarrass me.

Thank you for admitting that you are completely unqualified. You have no educational background in education.

Now you got it?

First - my background.

-First of all your children's credentials do NOT add on to yours. Knowing people doesn't make you an expert on that topic or give you more insight. If that were the case I'd be very knowledgable about baseball since I know a few MLB players.

-From what I can see about your post you have exactly 0 years experience teaching in a K-12 classroom

Seriously if you're going to use ethos to make your argument, at least have it be relevant.

LOL

Oh, so it is that easy?

How do you do this when most of the parents of my former students are not Mom and Dad. I could count the number of students in my classes (a total of over 100 students) that had two married parents on one hand! Most lived with drug-addicted mothers, overwhelmed grandmothers, disinterested aunts, or were in the foster care system. Mom or Dad and sometimes both were incarcerated. Most were not born in the US, nor were they US citizens. Those are the students that kill our test scores.

What do you do if a parent speaks a language for which there are literally no translators?

It is so easy to come up with solutions if we assume all of our students come from two-parent, stable, and economically stable families, The problem is most of the time those kids don't need the help.

YOU personify the arrogance of the "educational elite". You ARE the problem - not those parents. But, hey, you found an excuse to justify your inability to educate --- so I guess it works for you.

Just put away the holier than thou attitude. It just proves you to be a classless, undereducated moron who like to spam message boards with your tripe.

You could not answer any of those questions, so you went for the insult. That is just like a typical educational expert wannabe!

Answer what questions? Your tired little rant about how you could be a really great teacher if only you didn't have to deal with parents? That one?

If you're looking for excuses - and, obviously, you are - that's as good an excuse as any.

Where did I say anything of the sort? All of that education and you STILL cannot read?

I cannot deal with the parents because there aren't any!

To piggy-back off another poster's comment, we held our parent teacher conference this year prior to the biggest football game of the season so the parents could make one trip. I had two parents that I needed to talk to show up. Those that did
show were the good students!

Tell me how to fix that!

Now you got it?

First - my background.

Thank you for admitting that you are completely unqualified. You have no educational background in education.

The very personification of the arrogance that is ruining our education system, and our kids. That is EXACTLY the attitude you portray to parents - and you wonder why they don't get involved.

You ARE the problem.

Now you got it?

First - my background.

LOL

It is good that you can laugh at yourself, just like we are doing at you!

Now you got it?

First - my background.

The very personification of the arrogance that is ruining our education system, and our kids. That is EXACTLY the attitude you portray to parents - and you wonder why they don't get involved.

You ARE the problem.

You have made zero experience in K-12 other than you passed through the grades. Your arrogance is assuming that you are remotely qualified to make judgements on something you have not personally experienced.

Anybody notice how defensive the education community gets when you question their performance and their value? They produce a failed product and yet they have the temerity to claim THEY know best. How DARE we demand excellence, how DARE we demand accountability?

Doors slam shut ..... and they wonder why they can't get the average citizen involved.

Now you got it?

First - my background.

LOL

That's it? That's the best you've got? You can't even make a cogent argument for your position, but instead resort to childish and mindless ridicule of someone who disagrees with you??

You ARE the problem.

Oh, so it is that easy?

Where did I say anything of the sort? All of that education and you STILL cannot read?

I cannot deal with the parents because there aren't any!

To piggy-back off another poster's comment, we held our parent teacher conference this year prior to the biggest football game of the season so the parents could make one trip. I had two parents that I needed to talk to show up. Those that did
show were the good students!

Tell me how to fix that!

You don't reach out to families yourself?

Now you got it?

First - my background.

You ARE the problem.

You have made zero experience in K-12 other than you passed through the grades. Your arrogance is assuming that you are remotely qualified to make judgements on something you have not personally experienced.

Your arrogance is only exceeded by the size of your ego.

Anybody notice how defensive the education community gets when you question their performance and their value? They produce a failed product and yet they have the temerity to claim THEY know best. How DARE we demand excellence, how DARE we demand accountability?

Doors slam shut ..... and they wonder why they can't get the average citizen involved.

Go easy with the broad brush.

First - my background.

LOL

That's it? That's the best you've got? You can't even make a cogent argument for your position, but instead resort to childish and mindless ridicule of someone who disagrees with you??

You ARE the problem.

I responded with a lot more than you did to the other poster's very well-constructed post showing how you are completely clueless. You deserve every bot of ridicule because you fit the mold of an educator wannabe so well!

When asked for suggestions, you act just like the school board members that get elected here locally, who are lucky to have a certificate from a junior college on their resume. Anyone with a bit of sense knows the job of a school board member is long on hours, short on pay, and devoid of any meaningful respect, just like being a K-12 teacher.

You at least should know that.

First - my background.

You ARE the problem.

At least I am qualified to state my opinions, unlike you.

Go easy with the broad brush.

Oh, believe me - I recognize that most teachers aren't like that. But, it is this pernicious and arrogant holier-than-thou attitude that is strangling our good teachers. How many good teachers just get tired of it and quit ---- on the job. Just Thursday, I asked a teacher why she gave kids a pass any time they asked for it - to include passes to leave a closed campus.

Her response?

"I've been here 17 years, I've got tenure, and I just don't want to deal with the bastards any more."

Now THAT is the kind of teacher I want for my kids.

Then, I talked to two of her former students - assistance coaches on the football team - and both told me she was one of the best teachers they ever had, that she was motivated, and she cared. So, what changed her?

It's always easiest to blame someone else - that way, you don't have to look inside.

First - my background.

LOL

You ARE the problem.

I responded with a lot more than you did to the other poster's very well-constructed post showing how you are completely clueless. You deserve every bot of ridicule because you fit the mold of an educator wannabe so well!

When asked for suggestions, you act just like the school board members that get elected here locally, who are lucky to have a certificate from a junior college on their resume. Anyone with a bit of sense knows the job of a school board member is long on hours, short on pay, and devoid of any meaningful respect, just like being a K-12 teacher.

You at least should know that.

You really don't see it, do you?

It's the parent's fault.
It's the student's fault.
It's the school board's fault.
Now, it's the community's fault.

Listen to yourself .... it will probably be the first time.

First - my background.

You ARE the problem.

At least I am qualified to state my opinions, unlike you.

Another snarky, childish attack .... how unlike you.

Forum List

Back