What would the 10 commandments look like if:

What I would include in my Commandments

1. Thou shall not allow slavery. Moses led the Hebrews out of slavery and struggled to free them. Yet God does not even prohibit slavery in his ten commandments. I would prohibit slavery and order employers to pay an honest wage and order workers to give an honest days work

2. Thou shall be clean in thy person and thy environment. God could have saved hundreds of millions of lives with this one. Sanitation was a major killer of mankind. Keep yourself clean to avoid germs. Do not pollute your drinking water or your environment. Could have prevented the plague and other killer diseases

3. Thou shall not engage in War. War is a practice of man and not God. God should encourage peaceful resolution of conflicts and consider war an act against God

4. Thou shall educate yourself and others. A critical trait of man. Learning and the spread of knowledge. You should strive to learn your whole life and spread knowledge to others

5. I would expand the honor your father and mother to honor your family. Parents should honor their kids, make sure they are fed and clothed and protected. You should work hard to take care of your family

Probably better than the crappy ones God came up with

Thou shall not covet?
Give me a break
You mean the standards which were heads and shoulders above their contemporaries and still challenge us today?

Do you think you could be less objective if you tried?

Not Gods best work. I could write better Commandments

The Ten Commandments
I keep hearing liberals say how hateful and mean GOD is. They then turn around and seem very upset if one says that GOD paved the way so that even Hitler himself could enter into heaven IF he (Hitler) repented and asked Jesus to save him. Liberals only think they deserve heaven because they are better than everyone else and don't commit atrocities. They believe they don't need THE Commandments. They design their own to cover their own faults.
If Hitler is there......I don’t want to go
And that makes you what exactly? Are you any better? Since you scoff at GOD's judgments, are you in fact only imposing your own values and opinions as superior! I don't wish anyone to go to hell, and I'm not saying Hitler is presently in heaven. What I am saying is that GOD paved the way and it is no fault of HIS that anyone doesn't enter heaven. It is entirely their own choice.

Thou shall not covet?
Give me a break
You mean the standards which were heads and shoulders above their contemporaries and still challenge us today?

The Ten Commandments
I keep hearing liberals say how hateful and mean GOD is. They then turn around and seem very upset if one says that GOD paved the way so that even Hitler himself could enter into heaven IF he (Hitler) repented and asked Jesus to save him. Liberals only think they deserve heaven because they are better than everyone else and don't commit atrocities. They believe they don't need THE Commandments. They design their own to cover their own faults.
And that makes you what exactly? Are you any better? Since you scoff at GOD's judgments, are you in fact only imposing your own values and opinions as superior! I don't wish anyone to go to hell, and I'm not saying Hitler is presently in heaven. What I am saying is that GOD paved the way and it is no fault of HIS that anyone doesn't enter heaven. It is entirely their own choice.

Admit it

God did a crap job with his commandments. Just read the second and your jaw will drop and you will say WTF?

Your advocacy of Hitler in heaven seals it

What was God thinking?

2.Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

What was God thinking?

2.Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
What part is hard for you to reconcile? That we shouldn’t worship created things? Or that when we love someone it makes us angry when they do foolish things?

Mind you I am putting aside the fact that God didn’t actually write the Bible.

Thou shall not covet?
Give me a break

The Ten Commandments
If you could write better commandments then why hasn’t the world adopted them?

I think there were like three commandments you took exception with. Maybe you don’t understand the intent or the reason behind them.

What was God thinking?

What part is hard for you to reconcile? That we shouldn’t worship created things? Or that when we love someone it makes us angry when they do foolish things?

Is your God jealous?
So much that he will punish your children and grandchildren because you chose to worship someone else?

Is jealousy an emotion worthy of a God?

Thou shall not covet?
Give me a break

The Ten Commandments

I think there were like three commandments you took exception with. Maybe you don’t understand the intent or the reason behind them.
Let’s go back to the videotape....

God wastes FOUR commandments saying.....You had better worship me.....or else!
The first would suffice

From there on.......killing, stealing, adultery, false witness are good
Coveting is a reach

Moses just led the Jews out of slavery
God severely punished the Pharoh and Egypt because of it
But slavery does not even warrant a commandment

Thou shall not covet?
Give me a break

The Ten Commandments

The first would suffice

Coveting is a reach
No. Man said that and he meant do not worship created things.

Did you watch Silence of the Lambs? Do you know how we covet?

I would argue that if we did not covet what we saw, we would not only be happier but the world would be a much better place.

I view the commandment to not covet just as powerful as the 11th Commandment, do not put off today what you can do tomorrow. Coveting and procrastination are like narcotics; subtle destroyers of human spirit.

What was God thinking?

Is your God jealous?
So much that he will punish your children and grandchildren because you chose to worship someone else?

Yes, in fact, I believe he said his name is jealous. You see that as a negative, but that's only because you don't understand it. He doesn't punish anyone. You don't understand that either. It's almost like you think God is up there pulling all these levers and strings. Sorry to burst your illusion, we're pretty much on our own.

Everyone pretty much worships something. We don't really have a choice. It is the compulsive nature of humans. After all we are still pretty much animals. The only choice we have in the matter is in choosing what we will worship.

Now back to an earlier point of mine, God didn't write the Bible. Men did. Quit blaming God for what man wrote. And try to understand what those men meant instead of jumping to ridiculous strawmen conclusions.

Thou shall not covet?
Give me a break

The Ten Commandments

The first would suffice

Coveting is a reach

I would argue that if we did not covet what we saw, we would not only be happier but the world would be a much better place.

I view the commandment to not covet just as powerful as the 11th Commandment, do not put off today what you can do tomorrow. Coveting and procrastination are like narcotics; subtle destroyers of human spirit.
I look at covet as an incentive to work harder to obtain the things we want in life
I covet a large house on the lake. I take a second job to be able to make the payments .....hardly a sin

The Ten Commandments

The first would suffice

Coveting is a reach

I look at covet as an incentive to work harder to obtain the things we want in life
I covet a large house on the lake. I take a second job to be able to make the payments .....hardly a sin
You look at it wrong. You have to look at how it was used in the past.

To desire inordinately; to desire that which it is unlawful to obtain or possess; in a bad sense.

What was God thinking?

Is your God jealous?

Yes, in fact, I believe he said his name is jealous. You see that as a negative, but that's only because you don't understand it. He doesn't punish anyone. You don't understand that either. It's almost like you think God is up there pulling all these levers and strings. Sorry to burst your illusion, we're pretty much on our own.

Everyone pretty much worships something. We don't really have a choice. It is the compulsive nature of humans. After all we are still pretty much animals. The only choice we have in the matter is in choosing what we will worship.

Now back to an earlier point of mine, God didn't write the Bible. Men did. Quit blaming God for what man wrote. And try to understand what those men meant instead of jumping to ridiculous strawmen conclusions.
Well, if man wrote the Bible, we are in agreement

It is not a work of divine inspiration but an attempt by early, primitive men to lay a framework for an emerging religion. That is why there is such a wide differentiation of an angry God in the OT to a loving God in the NT

What was God thinking?

Is your God jealous?

It is not a work of divine inspiration but an attempt by early, primitive men to lay a framework for an emerging religion. That is why there is such a wide differentiation of an angry God in the OT to a loving God in the NT
The difference between your take on it and my take on it is revelation. You've had revelations, right?

And no, it was not primitive man laying a groundwork for an emerging religion.

The Jews didn't see God as angry. Quite the opposite. So the error is yours.

What was God thinking?

Is your God jealous?

The difference between your take on it and my take on it is revelation. You've had revelations, right?

A God that destroys all living things is an angry God. A God that kills innocent children to punish Pharoh is an angry God

Primitive man needed primitive religion. Be good or God will punish you. If you do not believe in the God I tell you, you will be punished

Is your God jealous?

A God that destroys all living things is an angry God. A God that kills innocent children to punish Pharoh is an angry God

Primitive man needed primitive religion. Be good or God will punish you. If you do not believe in the God I tell you, you will be punished
God didn't do that though. Again your error is in understanding what the text is saying.

Look, every living things dies. Why are you getting all twisted up over people who died in a flood when you could just as easily blame God for everyone dying.

Death is a part of life. You can't have one without the other. Stop blaming God for it. Are you seriously arguing that unless everything isn't perfect and we all live forever and God doesn't perform magic so your sorry ass doesn't have to suffer through life there can be no God?

Here's a novel approach, why don't you recognize the extremely rare and precious gift you have been given and be appreciative of it. For crying out loud, you have hit the cosmic lottery and don't even realize it.

Is your God jealous?

God didn't do that though. Again your error is in understanding what the text is saying.

Look, every living things dies. Why are you getting all twisted up over people who died in a flood when you could just as easily blame God for everyone dying.

Death is a part of life. You can't have one without the other. Stop blaming God for it. Are you seriously arguing that unless everything isn't perfect and we all live forever and God doesn't perform magic so your sorry ass doesn't have to suffer through life there can be no God?

Here's a novel approach, why don't you recognize the extremely rare and precious gift you have been given and be appreciative of it. For crying out loud, you have hit the cosmic lottery and don't even realize it.
Every creature on earth did not die of old age
They died horrifically in an ecological catastrophe

I am arguing that the God in the OT was not a loveable Guy

The Ten Commandments

Admit it

God did a crap job with his commandments. Just read the second and your jaw will drop and you will say WTF?

Your pointing of the finger demonstrates an inferior belief that you are moral and GOD isn't. You point your finger and draw lines in the sand but GOD ---well He is immoral if HE does the selecting and the choosing.

GOD is the CREATOR and you and I are not. I believe GOD has been so much more than fair. And rightly so, men who would fabricate effigies and have the audacity to worship their own abilities as divine are fooling whom?

Last edited:

The Ten Commandments

Admit it

Your pointing of the finger demonstrates an inferior belief that you are moral and GOD isn't. You point your finger and draw lines in the sand but GOD ---well He is immoral if HE does the selecting and the choosing.

GOD is the CREATOR and you and I are not. I believe GOD has been so much more than fair. And rightly so, men who would fabricate effigies and have the audacity to worship their own abilities as divine are fooling whom?
God gave us moral values that make us human

He does not lead by example

Forum List

Back