What would the 10 commandments look like if:

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Votto, Aug 8, 2018.

1. rightwinger

rightwinger Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76,669
    What I would include in my Commandments

1. Thou shall not allow slavery. Moses led the Hebrews out of slavery and struggled to free them. Yet God does not even prohibit slavery in his ten commandments. I would prohibit slavery and order employers to pay an honest wage and order workers to give an honest days work

2. Thou shall be clean in thy person and thy environment. God could have saved hundreds of millions of lives with this one. Sanitation was a major killer of mankind. Keep yourself clean to avoid germs. Do not pollute your drinking water or your environment. Could have prevented the plague and other killer diseases

3. Thou shall not engage in War. War is a practice of man and not God. God should encourage peaceful resolution of conflicts and consider war an act against God

4. Thou shall educate yourself and others. A critical trait of man. Learning and the spread of knowledge. You should strive to learn your whole life and spread knowledge to others

5. I would expand the honor your father and mother to honor your family. Parents should honor their kids, make sure they are fed and clothed and protected. You should work hard to take care of your family

2. LittleNipper

LittleNipper VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +740
    And that makes you what exactly? Are you any better? Since you scoff at GOD's judgments, are you in fact only imposing your own values and opinions as superior! I don't wish anyone to go to hell, and I'm not saying Hitler is presently in heaven. What I am saying is that GOD paved the way and it is no fault of HIS that anyone doesn't enter heaven. It is entirely their own choice.

3. rightwinger

rightwinger Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76,669
    Admit it

God did a crap job with his commandments. Just read the second and your jaw will drop and you will say WTF?

Your advocacy of Hitler in heaven seals it

4. rightwinger

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76,669
    What was God thinking?

2.Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

5. ding

ding Confront reality

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,741
    What part is hard for you to reconcile? That we shouldn’t worship created things? Or that when we love someone it makes us angry when they do foolish things?

Mind you I am putting aside the fact that God didn’t actually write the Bible.

6. ding

ding Confront reality

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,741
    If you could write better commandments then why hasn’t the world adopted them?

I think there were like three commandments you took exception with. Maybe you don’t understand the intent or the reason behind them.

7. rightwinger

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76,669
    Is your God jealous?
    So much that he will punish your children and grandchildren because you chose to worship someone else?

Is jealousy an emotion worthy of a God?

8. rightwinger

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76,669
    Let’s go back to the videotape....

God wastes FOUR commandments saying.....You had better worship me.....or else!
    The first would suffice

From there on.......killing, stealing, adultery, false witness are good
    Coveting is a reach

9. rightwinger

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76,669
    Moses just led the Jews out of slavery
    God severely punished the Pharoh and Egypt because of it
    But slavery does not even warrant a commandment

10. ding

ding Confront reality

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,741
    No. Man said that and he meant do not worship created things.

Did you watch Silence of the Lambs? Do you know how we covet?

I would argue that if we did not covet what we saw, we would not only be happier but the world would be a much better place.

I view the commandment to not covet just as powerful as the 11th Commandment, do not put off today what you can do tomorrow. Coveting and procrastination are like narcotics; subtle destroyers of human spirit.