What was your first scientific revelation which made you curious as a kid?

Natural Citizen

American Made
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 8, 2016
Not in a managed classroom environment, to be clear. I'm talking about just on your own when you were sitting around by yourself.

For me it was this...

I had a Sony Walkman. What I did was push play (recall that how that worked back then was that when you pushed the record button, the play button also pushed down with it) but I did not insert a blank cassette into the player. Then what I did was I barely plugged the 3.5mm headphone end into the jack. Just to the point that it barely connected. It didn't click, I had to hold it there in a zero pointish type position. Given that there was no cassette in the player, the magnetic mechanism (a two part mechanism) that the tape would normally run across/through magnified the sound of everything around me. And in the 432 hz, no less. I was amplifying the universe itself.

I was like wtf?

You?

Last edited:
Not in a managed classroom environment, to be clear. I'm talking about just on your own when you were sitting around by yourself.

For me it was this...

I had a sony Walkman. What I did was push play (recall that how that worked back then was that when you pushed the record button, the play button also pushed down with it) but I did not insert a blank cassette into the player. Then what I did was I barely plugged the 3.5mm headphone end into the jack. Just to the point that it barely connected. It didn't click, I had to hold it there in a zero pointish type position. Given that there was no cassette in the player, the magnet that the tape would normally run across magnified the sound of everything around me. And in the 432 hz, no less. I was amplifying the universe itself.

I was like wtf?

You?

When wading once, or water hiking as we called it, down the Little Gunpowder River, I saw what appeared to be pictures on the surfaces of many of the flat creek stones underfoot. Turned out to be fossils of ferns and flowers and insects. That discovery led me to chipping away at blue mountain shale outcrops shot through with orange and rose quartz, looking for more fossils, which never really panned out.

I had been told in no uncertain terms by my mother that a woman cannot have a baby until she is married.
Then I learned about the egg and the sperm and the zygote.
And then I asked myself how my ovaries and uterus KNEW if I had been to city hall.

When wading once, or water hiking as we called it, down the Little Gunpowder River, I saw what appeared to be pictures on the surfaces of many of the flat creek stones underfoot. Turned out to be fossils of ferns and flowers and insects. That discovery led me to chipping away at blue mountain shale outcrops shot through with orange and rose quartz, looking for more fossils, which never really panned out.

I've tread through those same waters, N_S. Small world. Only once, though. One of my old friends took me there, we were gonna go fishing, but snakes started dropping into the water from both sides in a little section where you had to walk through the river, because the brush was so thick on either side. I guess they were lounging on the brush.

My feet didnt hardly touch water, I hauled butt outta there, and whenever my feet did touch water, I was splashing as hard as a I could up that river. lolol.

I had been told in no uncertain terms by my mother that a woman cannot have a baby until she is married.
And then I asked myself how my ovaries and uterus KNEW if I had been to city hall.

Thank the universe Penguins/Redwings is incoming this afternoon. Your post has made me want to bathe in penalty shots and dropped hockey gloves. And Gordon Lightfoot tunes.

I've tread through those same waters, N_S. Small world. Only once, though. One of my old friends took me there, we were gonna go fishing, but snakes started dropping into the water from both sides in a little section where you had to walk through the river, because the brush was so thick on either side. I guess they were lounging on the brush.

My feet didnt hardly touch water, I hauled butt outta there, and whenever my feet did touch water, I was splashing as hard as a I could up that river. lolol.

We had a swimming hole below Parkton in the Little Falls creek, just past a small canyon below a waterfall. The whole family used to park at the old bank and walk down the bike trail to swim there, until the DNR put a sign warning it was a copperhead den. After turning over lots of rocks on both sides of the creek bank, my brother and I determined the serpents were just northern water snakes, harmless but still bitey, and so we had that swimming hole to ourselves from then on.

Thank the universe Penguins/Redwings is incoming this afternoon. Your post has made me want to bathe in penalty shots and dropped hockey gloves. And Gordon Lightfoot tunes.
No offense intended.

Had a nine year old girl want to play doctor with me when I was five..... From that point on I had an extreme interest in the female anatomy...... True story.

For me it was this...

I had a Sony Walkman. What I did was push play (recall that how that worked back then was that when you pushed the record button, the play button also pushed down with it) but I did not insert a blank cassette into the player. Then what I did was I barely plugged the 3.5mm headphone end into the jack. Just to the point that it barely connected. It didn't click, I had to hold it there in a zero pointish type position. Given that there was no cassette in the player, the magnetic mechanism (a two part mechanism) that the tape would normally run across/through magnified the sound of everything around me. And in the 432 hz, no less. I was amplifying the universe itself.

I was like wtf?

You?
/----/ Mixing baking soda with vinegar to use as a rocket fuel in a toy rocket meant to use water pressure.
iu

For me it was this...

I was like wtf?

You?
In elementary school I got a chemistry set as a present. Can't remember if it was Xmas or birthday.

I mixed various liquids and they changed colors.

In high school a neighbor kid got a telescope. We focused on Jupiter and saw it's 4 moons. That was more significant when we learned about Galileo and the Renaissance.

Climbed a mountain in college and found fossils at the summit.

More recently I pointed my 60x spotting scope at Saturn and I clearly saw the rings. It looks like a fried egg.

When I learned how a cartridge/turntable works when playing vinyl records.

For me it was this...

I was like wtf?

You?

Make sure you take all the foil off of Wrigley's gum.

No offense intended.

None taken, my remarks were made in a weak attempt at Sunday afternoon humor. I often forget how difficult distinction between tone and meaning is to make on the internet.

Forum List

Back