What was your first scientific revelation which made you curious as a kid?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Natural Citizen, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Natural Citizen

Natural Citizen Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,294
    Not in a managed classroom environment, to be clear. I'm talking about just on your own when you were sitting around by yourself.

For me it was this...

I had a Sony Walkman. What I did was push play (recall that how that worked back then was that when you pushed the record button, the play button also pushed down with it) but I did not insert a blank cassette into the player. Then what I did was I barely plugged the 3.5mm headphone end into the jack. Just to the point that it barely connected. It didn't click, I had to hold it there in a zero pointish type position. Given that there was no cassette in the player, the magnetic mechanism (a two part mechanism) that the tape would normally run across/through magnified the sound of everything around me. And in the 432 hz, no less. I was amplifying the universe itself.

I was like wtf?

You?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  2. night_son

night_son Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,319
    When wading once, or water hiking as we called it, down the Little Gunpowder River, I saw what appeared to be pictures on the surfaces of many of the flat creek stones underfoot. Turned out to be fossils of ferns and flowers and insects. That discovery led me to chipping away at blue mountain shale outcrops shot through with orange and rose quartz, looking for more fossils, which never really panned out.

3. OldLady

OldLady Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34,244
    I had been told in no uncertain terms by my mother that a woman cannot have a baby until she is married.
    Then I learned about the egg and the sperm and the zygote.
    And then I asked myself how my ovaries and uterus KNEW if I had been to city hall.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  4. Natural Citizen

Natural Citizen Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,294
    I've tread through those same waters, N_S. Small world. Only once, though. One of my old friends took me there, we were gonna go fishing, but snakes started dropping into the water from both sides in a little section where you had to walk through the river, because the brush was so thick on either side. I guess they were lounging on the brush.

My feet didnt hardly touch water, I hauled butt outta there, and whenever my feet did touch water, I was splashing as hard as a I could up that river. lolol.

5. night_son

night_son Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,319
    Thank the universe Penguins/Redwings is incoming this afternoon. Your post has made me want to bathe in penalty shots and dropped hockey gloves. And Gordon Lightfoot tunes.

6. night_son

night_son Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,319
    We had a swimming hole below Parkton in the Little Falls creek, just past a small canyon below a waterfall. The whole family used to park at the old bank and walk down the bike trail to swim there, until the DNR put a sign warning it was a copperhead den. After turning over lots of rocks on both sides of the creek bank, my brother and I determined the serpents were just northern water snakes, harmless but still bitey, and so we had that swimming hole to ourselves from then on.

7. OldLady

OldLady Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34,244
    No offense intended.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  8. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,126
    Had a nine year old girl want to play doctor with me when I was five..... From that point on I had an extreme interest in the female anatomy...... True story.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 3
  9. OldLady

OldLady Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34,244
    I was not trying to turn the thread into a joke, Ringel.

10. Cellblock2429

Cellblock2429 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,362
    /----/ Mixing baking soda with vinegar to use as a rocket fuel in a toy rocket meant to use water pressure.
    [​IMG]