"What To The Slave Is The 4th Of July?"

I just think it's funny that Americans still think they're living in a free country.

View attachment 136844
You too? Well, you and Im2 can keep each other company at least.

Oh, no, I don't agree with the OP at all. He's nuts. I have other reasons for my feelings.
Yet you can't celebrate our country's birthday.
You think you're not free. You don't respect America. So how are you different?

And none of you were here on July 4th, 1776, none of you fought the British for your freedom either. And since most of you are from ancestors who came here after this happened, your ancestors did not fight to win your freedom from Britain either.

So without further ado, one of the greatest speeches in American history.

picdouglassBest.jpg

What To The Slave Is The 4th Of July?"
FREDERICK DOUGLASS SPEECH, 1852

Fellow citizens, pardon me, allow me to ask, why am I called upon to speak here today? What have I, or those I represent, to do with your national independence? Are the great principles of political freedom and of natural justice, embodied in that Declaration of Independence, extended to us? and am I, therefore, called upon to bring our humble offering to the national altar, and to confess the benefits and express devout gratitude for the blessings resulting from your independence to us?

For the rest of the speech:

http://www.freemaninstitute.com/douglass.htm

Frederick Douglas never fought in the revolutionary war...but he became a strong supporter of the constitution.

"However, as Frederick Douglass matured in his political views, he evolved in his personal position regarding the Law of the Land. In fact, Douglass made one of the most dramatic changes in position regarding the value of the U.S. Constitution in the years leading up to the outbreak of the Civil War.

As Douglass read and studied more, and became more aware of other abolitionists, he began to pull away from Garrison’s orbit of persuasion. On December 3, 1847, after Douglass came back from a tour of England and Ireland, he used funds entrusted to him to start his own weekly abolitionist newspaper that he called The North Star. This initiated a substantial break with his previous supporter. Garrison felt largely responsible for the rise in prominence of the former slave, but ironically opposed the move to establish a separate abolitionist news organization. He may have regarded it as some needless competition for his own newspaper. Nonetheless in The North Star, Douglass replicated Garrisonian views that the Constitution was intentionally pro-slavery."

"Frederick Douglass had even publically debated with Lysander Spooner and Gerrit Smith who were abolitionists that supported the Constitution. In 1846, Spooner, an ardent abolitionist, had written a book titled The Unconstitutionality of Slavery which proposed the opposite perspective of Garrison, in which Spooner expressed that the Founders had not deliberately legalized slavery. Eventually, Frederick Douglass made public a dramatic change of opinion about the Constitution in his newspaper, and later in a public speech, he proclaimed it as “a glorious liberty document.” Such a dramatic personal shift in opinion reflected a larger split within the abolition movement in general due to perceptions regarding the Constitution and the proper way for the nation to deal with the institution of slavery."

Read more at Frederick Douglass and defending the U.S. Constitution | Communities Digital News

I know all about Frederick Douglass. I don't need an education on him from some idiot.

This thread not about the bullshit posted in the above quote. This thread is about the fact that on July 4th, 1776 no one black in this nation won any independence or freedom. It is also about the fact that no one here today fought in that war, no one here was alive during that war, and since most of you are descending from people who came here after that war, none of your relatives fought in this war. None of you or your ancestors are responsible for winning this independence for whites, so therefore we should not be celebrating he fourth.
This is sad. Okay, if you don't want to get all jazzed up about the 4th of July, fine, but it's our biggest party after Christmas, around here anyway. For one, it is during one of the four months of the year our furnaces don't run and we can pretty much plan an outside event. Including a parade. We do love parades for some reason. And the fireworks are the highlight, except when it's too foggy to see them, which happens half the time. A lot of folks around here DO have a Revolutionary ancestor or more, and some of them fought right here and it's written in the books and everything.
But it's more about celebrating our nation's birthday and our nation's freedom, and I don't see anything wrong with either of those things, really.
This country is not all bad. It doesn't hurt to have a birthday.

What I am saying is that the claims of this day being one to celebrate how we all won freedom when blacks and others did not is a fallacy. The sad thing is celebrate fake news. For blacks that is fake news. So then since I would not have been free on that day in 1776 it is not sad for me to not celebrate it. For those who were freed from the British celebrate away. Let me say this to end my post. There ae people out there, some who post here who refuse to celebrate MLK day. While almost every place of business is close don the 4th, people still work on MLK day. If not for MLK blacks may very well still not be afforded the very rights that constitution says every human was supposed to have. So if whites can feel they don't have to celebrate the king holiday and we don't get all this kind of guff and Asians lecturing people about that, then I do think I have my right as an American to not celebrate a day that had nothing to do with my freedom without hearing all this guff as well.

And none of you were here on July 4th, 1776, none of you fought the British for your freedom either. And since most of you are from ancestors who came here after this happened, your ancestors did not fight to win your freedom from Britain either.

picdouglassBest.jpg

Fellow citizens, pardon me, allow me to ask, why am I called upon to speak here today? What have I, or those I represent, to do with your national independence? Are the great principles of political freedom and of natural justice, embodied in that Declaration of Independence, extended to us? and am I, therefore, called upon to bring our humble offering to the national altar, and to confess the benefits and express devout gratitude for the blessings resulting from your independence to us?

Frederick Douglas never fought in the revolutionary war...but he became a strong supporter of the constitution.

"However, as Frederick Douglass matured in his political views, he evolved in his personal position regarding the Law of the Land. In fact, Douglass made one of the most dramatic changes in position regarding the value of the U.S. Constitution in the years leading up to the outbreak of the Civil War.

As Douglass read and studied more, and became more aware of other abolitionists, he began to pull away from Garrison’s orbit of persuasion. On December 3, 1847, after Douglass came back from a tour of England and Ireland, he used funds entrusted to him to start his own weekly abolitionist newspaper that he called The North Star. This initiated a substantial break with his previous supporter. Garrison felt largely responsible for the rise in prominence of the former slave, but ironically opposed the move to establish a separate abolitionist news organization. He may have regarded it as some needless competition for his own newspaper. Nonetheless in The North Star, Douglass replicated Garrisonian views that the Constitution was intentionally pro-slavery."

"Frederick Douglass had even publically debated with Lysander Spooner and Gerrit Smith who were abolitionists that supported the Constitution. In 1846, Spooner, an ardent abolitionist, had written a book titled The Unconstitutionality of Slavery which proposed the opposite perspective of Garrison, in which Spooner expressed that the Founders had not deliberately legalized slavery. Eventually, Frederick Douglass made public a dramatic change of opinion about the Constitution in his newspaper, and later in a public speech, he proclaimed it as “a glorious liberty document.” Such a dramatic personal shift in opinion reflected a larger split within the abolition movement in general due to perceptions regarding the Constitution and the proper way for the nation to deal with the institution of slavery."

Read more at Frederick Douglass and defending the U.S. Constitution | Communities Digital News

I know all about Frederick Douglass. I don't need an education on him from some idiot.

This thread not about the bullshit posted in the above quote. This thread is about the fact that on July 4th, 1776 no one black in this nation won any independence or freedom. It is also about the fact that no one here today fought in that war, no one here was alive during that war, and since most of you are descending from people who came here after that war, none of your relatives fought in this war. None of you or your ancestors are responsible for winning this independence for whites, so therefore we should not be celebrating he fourth.
This is sad. Okay, if you don't want to get all jazzed up about the 4th of July, fine, but it's our biggest party after Christmas, around here anyway. For one, it is during one of the four months of the year our furnaces don't run and we can pretty much plan an outside event. Including a parade. We do love parades for some reason. And the fireworks are the highlight, except when it's too foggy to see them, which happens half the time. A lot of folks around here DO have a Revolutionary ancestor or more, and some of them fought right here and it's written in the books and everything.
But it's more about celebrating our nation's birthday and our nation's freedom, and I don't see anything wrong with either of those things, really.

What I am saying is that the claims of this day being one to celebrate how we all won freedom when blacks and others did not is a fallacy. The sad thing is celebrate fake news. For blacks that is fake news. So then since I would not have been free on that day in 1776 it is not sad for me to not celebrate it. For those who were freed from the British celebrate away. Let me say this to end my post. There ae people out there, some who post here who refuse to celebrate MLK day. While almost every place of business is close don the 4th, people still work on MLK day. If not for MLK blacks may very well still not be afforded the very rights that constitution says every human was supposed to have. So if whites can feel they don't have to celebrate the king holiday and we don't get all this kind of guff and Asians lecturing people about that, then I do think I have my right as an American to not celebrate a day that had nothing to do with my freedom without hearing all this guff as well.
Of course you have the right. But you're not the only one who had some issues back in 1776, you know. I couldn't have voted. Or owned property if I were married. I couldn't divorce due to getting the shit beaten out of me by my husband. Children 6 and 7 years old were working 12 hour days in factories so the family would have something to eat at the end of the day. White men who didn't own property weren't able to vote. Native Americans were being squeezed out of their territorial lands.
Lots to complain about, but we're all functioning, bitching Americans equal in the eyes of the law now.
So I'm done with the guff.

I just think it's funny that Americans still think they're living in a free country.

View attachment 136844
You too? Well, you and Im2 can keep each other company at least.

Oh, no, I don't agree with the OP at all. He's nuts. I have other reasons for my feelings.
I don't think we're a free nation, but we're close compared to most, and while I'd like it to be a freer nation, it's still a good one to live in. The idea behind America is great, and that's what I celebrate on the 4th.

picdouglassBest.jpg

did you know that the first slave owner in the America was black

Did you know that is untrue?

Now try telling me that blacks made slavery legal in America too.

no it is very much true

The first legal slave owner in American history was a black tobacco farmer named Anthony Johnson.

it is a fact

look it up some time retard

picdouglassBest.jpg

Powerful writer and speaker. Thank you for posting this, it should be read by all.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

picdouglassBest.jpg

no it is very much true

The first legal slave owner in American history was a black tobacco farmer named Anthony Johnson.

it is a fact

Unfortunately for you, I have done the research. Hugh Gwynn from Virginia owned he first slave in America and he did so some 15 years before Johnson. However blacks did not make slavery legal n the United States.

picdouglassBest.jpg

no it is very much true

it is a fact

Unfortunately for you, I have done the research. Hugh Gwynn from Virginia owned he first slave in America and he did so some 15 years before Johnson. However blacks did not make slavery legal n the United States.

1655 John Casor became the first person to be declared a slave for life in the courts

that is a fact

picdouglassBest.jpg

Hey you racist fuck! Did you read it? Do you know it was in 1852? Do you know it is not 1852 right now?

How fucking stupidly racist are you really?

Sorry, race baiter, my ancestors did indeed fight in the Revolutionary War... and the Civil War for the north... and damn near every war after...

You know what? You are truly one presumptuous little troll...

picdouglassBest.jpg

Of course you have the right. But you're not the only one who had some issues back in 1776, you know. I couldn't have voted. Or owned property if I were married. I couldn't divorce due to getting the shit beaten out of me by my husband. Children 6 and 7 years old were working 12 hour days in factories so the family would have something to eat at the end of the day. White men who didn't own property weren't able to vote. Native Americans were being squeezed out of their territorial lands.
Lots to complain about, but we're all functioning, bitching Americans equal in the eyes of the law now.
So I'm done with the guff.

I know full well what women have experienced. It is why I am so amazed at the ignorance of so many women here And we are not all equal under the eyes of the law. I realize all of the things you say. But I also realize that white men who did not own property were free, They got paid to work and could end up owning property. I do know both sides. I know the Indians got done, but they get reparations until the world ends for what they have endured. Still the historians who have documented this situation have stated that blacks under the system of chattel slavery were done the worst.

I recognize all the positive things this nation has. What I am not going to do is pretend the negatives don't exist, and that racism is over.

picdouglassBest.jpg

Hey you racist fuck! Did you read it? Do you know it was in 1852? Do you know it is not 1852 right now?

It's not 1776 right now either dumb ass.

picdouglassBest.jpg

Your free now, thanks to the DOI, and the constitution that Douglas used in that speech. I hate to say it, but sadly without the south, there would be no America today. And slavery wasn't Solely practiced in America at the time, it was widely practiced in Europe, with blacks doing a large majority of the slave catching and then trading them for guns, metals, etc. It wasn't just carried out by whites, certainly they played their role, but blacks did as well.

Sorry, race baiter, my ancestors did indeed fight in the Revolutionary War... and the Civil War for the north... and damn near every war after...

You know what? You are truly one presumptuous little troll...

So? You didn't fight to win the war. So why are we giving you credit for something that happened before you were born.?.

According to those like you if we are talking about events that happened before you were born they don't count and you should not be blamed. So then you should not get credit and since the war ended 241 years ago it doesn't count anymore.

picdouglassBest.jpg

Your free now, thanks to the DOI, and the constitution that Douglas used in that speech. I hate to say it, but sadly without the south, there would be no America today. And slavery wasn't Solely practiced in America at the time, it was widely practiced in Europe, with blacks doing a large majority of the slave catching and then trading them for guns, metals, etc. It wasn't just carried out by whites, certainly they played their role, but blacks did as well.

Yawn! It doesn't matter if slavery was not practiced in America when the American constitution said all people are equal. We aren't talking about me being free now. I am taking about the hypocrisy in the argument that we cannot discuss that the founders owned slaves because they are no longer here but we can continue crediting them even while they are not her. That how racist laws made then cannot be discussed because they are too far in the past but if things credits whites from 240 years ago we can discuss them.

picdouglassBest.jpg

You should run off and axe a few and the report back to us.

picdouglassBest.jpg

This thread is dead, Fred. We are post racial, slavery is dead and gone. Things have changed since abolition, haven't you heard? Over 65 thousand anonymous white guys fought to free the slaves. Racism is bad, you are totally right about that. And why haven't blacks got over it? There is two sides to a equation. Lets be honest here, why haven't blacks tried harder to get over this racial inertia? That's is the bigger question. What the hell does it take?

picdouglassBest.jpg

It's not 1776 right now either dumb ass.

That's irrelevant, you racist moron.

picdouglassBest.jpg

This thread is dead, Fred. We are post racial, slavery is dead and gone. Things have changed since abolition, haven't you heard? Over 65 thousand anonymous white guys fought to free the slaves. Racism is bad, you are totally right about that. And why haven't blacks got over it? There is two sides to a equation. Lets be honest here, why haven't blacks tried harder to get over this racial inertia? That's is the bigger question. What the hell does it take?

No white guys fought to free the slaves. But this thread is about the fourth of July. A day that happened 240 years ago which means its too long ago to be celebrated or discussed by your standards, it is too old for this because none of you were here on July 4th , 1776. because this happened 241 years ago, it is irrelevant to today based upon the argument many of you have made.

Forum List

Back