"What To The Slave Is The 4th Of July?"

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
And none of you were here on July 4th, 1776, none of you fought the British for your freedom either. And since most of you are from ancestors who came here after this happened, your ancestors did not fight to win your freedom from Britain either.

So without further ado, one of the greatest speeches in American history.

picdouglassBest.jpg

What To The Slave Is The 4th Of July?"
FREDERICK DOUGLASS SPEECH, 1852

Fellow citizens, pardon me, allow me to ask, why am I called upon to speak here today? What have I, or those I represent, to do with your national independence? Are the great principles of political freedom and of natural justice, embodied in that Declaration of Independence, extended to us? and am I, therefore, called upon to bring our humble offering to the national altar, and to confess the benefits and express devout gratitude for the blessings resulting from your independence to us?

For the rest of the speech:

http://www.freemaninstitute.com/douglass.htm

Last edited:

What To The Slave Is The 4th Of July?

Find a slave and we'll ask him.

Go find soldier who fought in the revolutionary war and shut up..

I don't need to know a revolutionary soldier to be indebted to him and to celebrate his contribution.

However, it would be presumptuous of me to pretend to know what a slave would feel about the holiday given there aren't any to ask.

P.s. Does all your discourse need to be rude?

What To The Slave Is The 4th Of July?

Find a slave and we'll ask him.

Go find soldier who fought in the revolutionary war and shut up..

I don't need to know a revolutionary soldier to be indebted to him and to celebrate his contribution.

However, it would be presumptuous of me to pretend to know what a slave would feel about the holiday given there aren't any to ask.

P.s. Does all your discourse need to be rude?

Yes you do need to find a revolutionary soldier to know how they feel just as much. Because this is a speech given by Frederick Douglass who did know what it was like to be a slave just as much as you talk about how you know what those revolutionary soldiers who are not here to ask would know about the revolutionary war.. And yes, as long as you practice this type of obtuse behavior, then you are the rude one and you will get rude back.

OP wrote: And none of you were here on July 4th, 1776, none of you fought the British for your freedom either.

And neither are there any survivors from that era...

... as they have passed away a long time ago...

... and their descendants are now free.

Free to get a shit job (if they're lucky), or die by some redneck hiway policeman's gun.

And none of you were here on July 4th, 1776, none of you fought the British for your freedom either. And since most of you are from ancestors who came here after this happened, your ancestors did not fight to win your freedom from Britain either.

picdouglassBest.jpg

Fellow citizens, pardon me, allow me to ask, why am I called upon to speak here today? What have I, or those I represent, to do with your national independence? Are the great principles of political freedom and of natural justice, embodied in that Declaration of Independence, extended to us? and am I, therefore, called upon to bring our humble offering to the national altar, and to confess the benefits and express devout gratitude for the blessings resulting from your independence to us?

With your crappy attitude, I doubt you are invited to many 4th of July picnics and BBQ's ..... :cuckoo: ... :lol:

I was at the memorial day parade and the people were cheering the vets as they should. One car contained Daughters of the American Revolution and they were cheered and I wondered why. Only one looked like she might have been in the Revolutionary War. Basically they were cheering for people who belonged to a club.

I was at the memorial day parade and the people were cheering the vets as they should. One car contained Daughters of the American Revolution and they were cheered and I wondered why. Only one looked like she might have been in the Revolutionary War. Basically they were cheering for people who belonged to a club.
They were cheering the direct descendent's of people who had fought in the American Revolution. .... :cool:

picdouglassBest.jpg

Very brave of you to take a strong stand against slavery, after white guys defeated it for you.

They were cheering the direct descendent's of people who had fought in the American Revolution. .... :cool:
Yeah, why?

Free to get a shit job (if they're lucky), or die by some redneck hiway policeman's gun.

Or get a good job, find a good woman, raise a fine family and die surrounded by loving grandchildren.

The choices are theirs.

Just like for all of us.

You weren't a slave either, so quit whining.

picdouglassBest.jpg

did you know that the first slave owner in the America was black

picdouglassBest.jpg

Frederick Douglas never fought in the revolutionary war...but he became a strong supporter of the constitution.

"However, as Frederick Douglass matured in his political views, he evolved in his personal position regarding the Law of the Land. In fact, Douglass made one of the most dramatic changes in position regarding the value of the U.S. Constitution in the years leading up to the outbreak of the Civil War.

As Douglass read and studied more, and became more aware of other abolitionists, he began to pull away from Garrison’s orbit of persuasion. On December 3, 1847, after Douglass came back from a tour of England and Ireland, he used funds entrusted to him to start his own weekly abolitionist newspaper that he called The North Star. This initiated a substantial break with his previous supporter. Garrison felt largely responsible for the rise in prominence of the former slave, but ironically opposed the move to establish a separate abolitionist news organization. He may have regarded it as some needless competition for his own newspaper. Nonetheless in The North Star, Douglass replicated Garrisonian views that the Constitution was intentionally pro-slavery."

"Frederick Douglass had even publically debated with Lysander Spooner and Gerrit Smith who were abolitionists that supported the Constitution. In 1846, Spooner, an ardent abolitionist, had written a book titled The Unconstitutionality of Slavery which proposed the opposite perspective of Garrison, in which Spooner expressed that the Founders had not deliberately legalized slavery. Eventually, Frederick Douglass made public a dramatic change of opinion about the Constitution in his newspaper, and later in a public speech, he proclaimed it as “a glorious liberty document.” Such a dramatic personal shift in opinion reflected a larger split within the abolition movement in general due to perceptions regarding the Constitution and the proper way for the nation to deal with the institution of slavery."

Read more at Frederick Douglass and defending the U.S. Constitution | Communities Digital News

picdouglassBest.jpg

Frederick Douglas never fought in the revolutionary war...but he became a strong supporter of the constitution.

"However, as Frederick Douglass matured in his political views, he evolved in his personal position regarding the Law of the Land. In fact, Douglass made one of the most dramatic changes in position regarding the value of the U.S. Constitution in the years leading up to the outbreak of the Civil War.

As Douglass read and studied more, and became more aware of other abolitionists, he began to pull away from Garrison’s orbit of persuasion. On December 3, 1847, after Douglass came back from a tour of England and Ireland, he used funds entrusted to him to start his own weekly abolitionist newspaper that he called The North Star. This initiated a substantial break with his previous supporter. Garrison felt largely responsible for the rise in prominence of the former slave, but ironically opposed the move to establish a separate abolitionist news organization. He may have regarded it as some needless competition for his own newspaper. Nonetheless in The North Star, Douglass replicated Garrisonian views that the Constitution was intentionally pro-slavery."

"Frederick Douglass had even publically debated with Lysander Spooner and Gerrit Smith who were abolitionists that supported the Constitution. In 1846, Spooner, an ardent abolitionist, had written a book titled The Unconstitutionality of Slavery which proposed the opposite perspective of Garrison, in which Spooner expressed that the Founders had not deliberately legalized slavery. Eventually, Frederick Douglass made public a dramatic change of opinion about the Constitution in his newspaper, and later in a public speech, he proclaimed it as “a glorious liberty document.” Such a dramatic personal shift in opinion reflected a larger split within the abolition movement in general due to perceptions regarding the Constitution and the proper way for the nation to deal with the institution of slavery."

Read more at Frederick Douglass and defending the U.S. Constitution | Communities Digital News

I know all about Frederick Douglass. I don't need an education on him from some idiot.

This thread not about the bullshit posted in the above quote. This thread is about the fact that on July 4th, 1776 no one black in this nation won any independence or freedom. It is also about the fact that no one here today fought in that war, no one here was alive during that war, and since most of you are descending from people who came here after that war, none of your relatives fought in this war. None of you or your ancestors are responsible for winning this independence for whites, so therefore we should not be celebrating he fourth.

picdouglassBest.jpg

did you know that the first slave owner in the America was black

Did you know that is untrue?

Now try telling me that blacks made slavery legal in America too.

Forum List

Back