"What To The Slave Is The 4th Of July?"

And none of you were here on July 4th, 1776, none of you fought the British for your freedom either. And since most of you are from ancestors who came here after this happened, your ancestors did not fight to win your freedom from Britain either.

So without further ado, one of the greatest speeches in American history.

picdouglassBest.jpg

What To The Slave Is The 4th Of July?"
FREDERICK DOUGLASS SPEECH, 1852

Fellow citizens, pardon me, allow me to ask, why am I called upon to speak here today? What have I, or those I represent, to do with your national independence? Are the great principles of political freedom and of natural justice, embodied in that Declaration of Independence, extended to us? and am I, therefore, called upon to bring our humble offering to the national altar, and to confess the benefits and express devout gratitude for the blessings resulting from your independence to us?

For the rest of the speech:

http://www.freemaninstitute.com/douglass.htm

Frederick Douglas never fought in the revolutionary war...but he became a strong supporter of the constitution.

"However, as Frederick Douglass matured in his political views, he evolved in his personal position regarding the Law of the Land. In fact, Douglass made one of the most dramatic changes in position regarding the value of the U.S. Constitution in the years leading up to the outbreak of the Civil War.

As Douglass read and studied more, and became more aware of other abolitionists, he began to pull away from Garrison’s orbit of persuasion. On December 3, 1847, after Douglass came back from a tour of England and Ireland, he used funds entrusted to him to start his own weekly abolitionist newspaper that he called The North Star. This initiated a substantial break with his previous supporter. Garrison felt largely responsible for the rise in prominence of the former slave, but ironically opposed the move to establish a separate abolitionist news organization. He may have regarded it as some needless competition for his own newspaper. Nonetheless in The North Star, Douglass replicated Garrisonian views that the Constitution was intentionally pro-slavery."

"Frederick Douglass had even publically debated with Lysander Spooner and Gerrit Smith who were abolitionists that supported the Constitution. In 1846, Spooner, an ardent abolitionist, had written a book titled The Unconstitutionality of Slavery which proposed the opposite perspective of Garrison, in which Spooner expressed that the Founders had not deliberately legalized slavery. Eventually, Frederick Douglass made public a dramatic change of opinion about the Constitution in his newspaper, and later in a public speech, he proclaimed it as “a glorious liberty document.” Such a dramatic personal shift in opinion reflected a larger split within the abolition movement in general due to perceptions regarding the Constitution and the proper way for the nation to deal with the institution of slavery."

Read more at Frederick Douglass and defending the U.S. Constitution | Communities Digital News

I know all about Frederick Douglass. I don't need an education on him from some idiot.

This thread not about the bullshit posted in the above quote. This thread is about the fact that on July 4th, 1776 no one black in this nation won any independence or freedom. It is also about the fact that no one here today fought in that war, no one here was alive during that war, and since most of you are descending from people who came here after that war, none of your relatives fought in this war. None of you or your ancestors are responsible for winning this independence for whites, so therefore we should not be celebrating he fourth.
Unless we're happy that we got the constitution and that those who came before us gave it to us, bunch of farmers vs the most powerful military in the world...and they repelled them twice. I think that's a good reason to celebrate it. I'm also happy the British beat napaleon, and the allies defeated the Axis powers...so because my ancestors came from Japan, should I instead be angry at that? The us threw the Japanese in concentration camps, should I be holding a grudge about that? The Japanese committed many many war crimes, mainly to their neighbors but also to US POWs, should I be apologizing for that?

Now try telling me that blacks made slavery legal in America too

Republicans made it illegal ... that I can tell you.
And none of you were here on July 4th, 1776, none of you fought the British for your freedom either. And since most of you are from ancestors who came here after this happened, your ancestors did not fight to win your freedom from Britain either.

picdouglassBest.jpg

Fellow citizens, pardon me, allow me to ask, why am I called upon to speak here today? What have I, or those I represent, to do with your national independence? Are the great principles of political freedom and of natural justice, embodied in that Declaration of Independence, extended to us? and am I, therefore, called upon to bring our humble offering to the national altar, and to confess the benefits and express devout gratitude for the blessings resulting from your independence to us?

Frederick Douglas never fought in the revolutionary war...but he became a strong supporter of the constitution.

"However, as Frederick Douglass matured in his political views, he evolved in his personal position regarding the Law of the Land. In fact, Douglass made one of the most dramatic changes in position regarding the value of the U.S. Constitution in the years leading up to the outbreak of the Civil War.

As Douglass read and studied more, and became more aware of other abolitionists, he began to pull away from Garrison’s orbit of persuasion. On December 3, 1847, after Douglass came back from a tour of England and Ireland, he used funds entrusted to him to start his own weekly abolitionist newspaper that he called The North Star. This initiated a substantial break with his previous supporter. Garrison felt largely responsible for the rise in prominence of the former slave, but ironically opposed the move to establish a separate abolitionist news organization. He may have regarded it as some needless competition for his own newspaper. Nonetheless in The North Star, Douglass replicated Garrisonian views that the Constitution was intentionally pro-slavery."

"Frederick Douglass had even publically debated with Lysander Spooner and Gerrit Smith who were abolitionists that supported the Constitution. In 1846, Spooner, an ardent abolitionist, had written a book titled The Unconstitutionality of Slavery which proposed the opposite perspective of Garrison, in which Spooner expressed that the Founders had not deliberately legalized slavery. Eventually, Frederick Douglass made public a dramatic change of opinion about the Constitution in his newspaper, and later in a public speech, he proclaimed it as “a glorious liberty document.” Such a dramatic personal shift in opinion reflected a larger split within the abolition movement in general due to perceptions regarding the Constitution and the proper way for the nation to deal with the institution of slavery."

Read more at Frederick Douglass and defending the U.S. Constitution | Communities Digital News

I know all about Frederick Douglass. I don't need an education on him from some idiot.

This thread not about the bullshit posted in the above quote. This thread is about the fact that on July 4th, 1776 no one black in this nation won any independence or freedom. It is also about the fact that no one here today fought in that war, no one here was alive during that war, and since most of you are descending from people who came here after that war, none of your relatives fought in this war. None of you or your ancestors are responsible for winning this independence for whites, so therefore we should not be celebrating he fourth.
For someone who cares so much about slavery, you're pretty quite about the slavery going on today. There are more slaves today than at any other time in human history, around 2 million of them are child sex slaves alone. And that's not counting the people in countries where they basically are slaves going by the nomenclature of citizens.

picdouglassBest.jpg

Unless we're happy that we got the constitution and that those who came before us gave it to us, bunch of farmers vs the most powerful military in the world...and they repelled them twice. I think that's a good reason to celebrate it. I'm also happy the British beat napaleon, and the allies defeated the Axis powers...so because my ancestors came from Japan, should I instead be angry at that? The us threw the Japanese in concentration camps, should I be holding a grudge about that? The Japanese committed many many war crimes, mainly to their neighbors but also to US POWs, should I be apologizing for that?

If we were not there so we can't be held responsible or blame those in the past for things is what you believe relative to certain issues then it applies to all issues. If you cannot hold people responsible for the wrongs you cannot credit them for the right.

You got reparations for what happened. But if I as a black man says that we deserve reparations your Japanese ass will sing like the whites about how we aren't owed anything.

Blacks got no freedom by any of these things. It was not independence day for blacks. Or native americans and had your Japanese ancestors been here at the time for them either. This is not about holding a grudge, it is about pointing out the truth. You ain't white. You're an Asian. You get the same treatment we do.

So keep on kissing the white mans ass.

picdouglassBest.jpg

For someone who cares so much about slavery, you're pretty quite about the slavery going on today. There are more slaves today than at any other time in human history, around 2 million of them are child sex slaves alone. And that's not counting the people in countries where they basically are slaves going by the nomenclature of citizens.

Here we go with another dumb white man argument from the Asian dumb ass. I'm talking about the fiction that all Americans won freedom on July 4th, 1776.

th

picdouglassBest.jpg

Here we go with another dumb white man argument from the Asian dumb ass. I'm talking about the fiction that all Americans won freedom on July 4th, 1776.

th
I am currently living a free nation...I assume you are too. So it did happen. Sure it took 80 years for some, but it did happen.

picdouglassBest.jpg

If we were not there so we can't be held responsible or blame those in the past for things is what you believe relative to certain issues then it applies to all issues. If you cannot hold people responsible for the wrongs you cannot credit them for the right.

You got reparations for what happened. But if I as a black man says that we deserve reparations your Japanese ass will sing like the whites about how we aren't owed anything.

Blacks got no freedom by any of these things. It was not independence day for blacks. Or native americans and had your Japanese ancestors been here at the time for them either. This is not about holding a grudge, it is about pointing out the truth. You ain't white. You're an Asian. You get the same treatment we do.

My treatment is fine. And I don't kiss asses, I'm just grounded in reality that tribalism exist everywhere, in every race, in every nation. It's a part of human nature. Slavery is as old as human civilization, as well as atrocities. All nations are guilty. ALL, including Africa, Asia, and America before the imperialist "White man" came over. These weren't magical places of harmony before whitey. That's hogwash. Was the constitution hypocritical with slavery going on as Douglas said, yes, but it was also one of the first and very succsessful documents to end despotism, and government tyranny. If you want to put on blinders to one specific group so you can be mad at them, go ahed. Don't get mad at anyone else who doesn't.

Last edited:
I was at the memorial day parade and the people were cheering the vets as they should. One car contained Daughters of the American Revolution and they were cheered and I wondered why. Only one looked like she might have been in the Revolutionary War. Basically they were cheering for people who belonged to a club.
They're good geneaologists.
I'm eligible, but my mother wouldn't join because they wouldn't allow Marian Anderson to perform at one of their shindigs because she was black. My mother didn't have much interest in civil rights but she was DAMNED serious about good music and Marian was an outstanding singer. The DAR got such a lot of flack for that decision that she was invited and did perform for them several times over her career. Just to be fair.

picdouglassBest.jpg

I see quite a few non white people lolol...

and my ancestors were responsible for winning independence from Britain. They also fought with the Union Army.

I'll go ahead and celebrate the fourth, if you don't mind.

picdouglassBest.jpg

This is sad. Okay, if you don't want to get all jazzed up about the 4th of July, fine, but it's our biggest party after Christmas, around here anyway. For one, it is during one of the four months of the year our furnaces don't run and we can pretty much plan an outside event. Including a parade. We do love parades for some reason. And the fireworks are the highlight, except when it's too foggy to see them, which happens half the time. A lot of folks around here DO have a Revolutionary ancestor or more, and some of them fought right here and it's written in the books and everything.
But it's more about celebrating our nation's birthday and our nation's freedom, and I don't see anything wrong with either of those things, really.
This country is not all bad. It doesn't hurt to have a birthday.

picdouglassBest.jpg

I see quite a few non white people lolol...

and my ancestors were responsible for winning independence from Britain. They also fought with the Union Army.

I'll go ahead and celebrate the fourth, if you don't mind.

I'm sure there's a lot more white people whose ancestors did fight in the revolutionary war than you think. Lot of interbreeding going on in this country as everywhere else. I'm somehow apparently distantly related to genghis Kahn. Don't know how that happens, but I guess it did

picdouglassBest.jpg

^^^ Racist Race Baiter Strikes Again ^^^

Here's what IM2anidiot doesn't grok: the U.S. Constitution is based on Western Civilization Enlightenment Principles which eventually led to an end to slavery, while slavery still continues to be practiced throughout much of the world.

And he is very much holding onto a grudge.

I just think it's funny that Americans still think they're living in a free country.

index.jpg

Forum List

Back