What the Bible says about Anger

Anger Wrath Temper Control the Bible

Ability to Control Anger

Anger can be controlled. Jesus was angry at times and was tempted in all points like we are, but He did not sin (Heb. 4:15). He controlled His anger, and we can control ours. The examples of Moses and others who were angry without sinning show that anger can be controlled.

A. God Commands Us to Control Our Anger.
Many passages command this.
Ephesians 4:26 - Be angry and sin not.

Proverbs 29:11 - A fool vents his feelings, but a wise manholds them back. We should not clam up, refusing to say what needs to be said, but we should control our anger: hold it back.

Proverbs 16:32; 25:28 - He who is slow to anger and rules his spirit is better than one who captures a city. You can restrain your spirit, and God commands you to do so.

Many other passages refer to this as "self control," an essential characteristic of Christians. Every passage that commands self control is a passage that tells us we can and should control our tempers (1 Corinthians 9:25-27; 2 Peter 1:5-8; Galatians 5:22,23).

[Gal. 5:20,23; 2 Tim. 1:7; Psalm 37:8; Prov. 14:29]

We can accomplish whatever God commands us to do.

God does not command the impossible.

1 Corinthians 10:13 - We do not face any temptation that is beyond our ability to handle, including the temptation to lose our temper. God will make a way of escape.

There is never an excuse for disobeying God. To say we cannot control our temper is to say God is not faithful. What we need to do is to look for the way of escape.

There is no excuse for failing to control our temper. God requires it and will judge us for it.

[Philippians 4:13; Psalm 37:5; Eph. 6:10-18; 3:20,21; 2 Cor. 9:8; Josh. 1:5-9.]
Anger Wrath Temper Control the Bible

Sure it is, letting someone else supply you with simplistic moral judgements rather than making up your own mind is to hide from many of life's ethical enigmas that ironically result in spiritual growth.

And so you haven't shared with us your secret for dealing with anger. What is it?
There's no secret, you work hard every day to gain self-control and forgive people for being human. Find something that turns down the volume in your life and above all, remember that we are only here for a little while so don't sweat the small stuff. Pretty generic but it works for me.
Some people need the threat of eternal damnation to manage themselves. Quite the cop out if you ask me.
I don't really think the advice comes with the threat of eternal damnation stamped on it. It is simply good advice.
But without the threat of eternal damnation it's just good advice, and not religion.
So to you the threat of eternal damnation defines religion? That's not exactly my definition... religion - Yahoo Search Results

Give 'em a little weed. That'll calm them down. :thup:

We're talking about a solution, not a cop out. The answer is in Christ. This is a Scriptural teaching that this Pastor offers to deal with the problem of anger.
Organized religion is the ultimate cop-out.

>>>>
Ignoring your negative spin...its definitely not a cop out
Sure it is, letting someone else supply you with simplistic moral judgements rather than making up your own mind is to hide from many of life's ethical enigmas that ironically result in spiritual growth.

People don't supply me with "simplistic moral judgments".
Life is always there to learn from...that's a fact for everyone. Gods word is the ultimate spiritual growth.
Many of my own moral judgements come from my strict southern baptist upbringing. I have experienced everything a religious life has to offer and eventually just decided to skip the mumbo-jumbo spirituality and ritual and just be as Jesus said we should be: Kind and giving. If God requires more than that then he is just asking too much, I cannot be a part of something that operates on fear and guilt to the extent organized religion does. I never give people shit over their personal faith, but religion itself is a horrible burden on mankind and a continual source of strife.

Anger can get out of control very quickly. Here is one example:

Man gets so angry talking to wife he drives a pick-up truck through his own house - Mirror Online

A man became so angry from speaking on the phone to his wife that he decided todrive a truck though his own home.

Raging John Paul Jones Jr said the conversation with his spouse left him seething so much that he got in his car, slammed on the accelerator and smashed through the property in Senoia, Georgia.

The pickup truck was parked in Mr Jones' back garden and after turning the vehicle on and starting it up he drove right through the wall, into the living room, through another wall and out into the front yard.

And so you haven't shared with us your secret for dealing with anger. What is it?
There's no secret, you work hard every day to gain self-control and forgive people for being human. Find something that turns down the volume in your life and above all, remember that we are only here for a little while so don't sweat the small stuff. Pretty generic but it works for me.
Some people need the threat of eternal damnation to manage themselves. Quite the cop out if you ask me.
I don't really think the advice comes with the threat of eternal damnation stamped on it. It is simply good advice.
But without the threat of eternal damnation it's just good advice, and not religion.
So to you the threat of eternal damnation defines religion? That's not exactly my definition... religion - Yahoo Search Results
In some form or another, yes it does. In Christianity, live by the bible or burn forever. Islam I'm not as familiar, but I'm pretty sure it's live by the Quran or burn forever. Judaism seems to be the most reasonable of the big 3, but it's evolved a lot and basically it's obey God or burn for all eternity. Hinduism is live by whatever code they have or you'll come back as a cockroach. Buddhism is copastetic :thup:

But for the majority of people in the world, religion = do this or burn for eternity.

We're talking about a solution, not a cop out. The answer is in Christ. This is a Scriptural teaching that this Pastor offers to deal with the problem of anger.

>>>>

Life is always there to learn from...that's a fact for everyone. Gods word is the ultimate spiritual growth.
Many of my own moral judgements come from my strict southern baptist upbringing. I have experienced everything a religious life has to offer and eventually just decided to skip the mumbo-jumbo spirituality and ritual and just be as Jesus said we should be: Kind and giving. If God requires more than that then he is just asking too much, I cannot be a part of something that operates on fear and guilt to the extent organized religion does. I never give people shit over their personal faith, but religion itself is a horrible burden on mankind and a continual source of strife.
I agree. Some people say that if Moses was lying, then he was brilliant to do so because he united people for the common cause of religion. When I think of Jesus I hope that what he says is true, and though I've never been given reason to believe that what he says is true I still agree with what he said, and that his words are brilliant.

So I don't believe at all in organized religion, but I respect the words in the New Testament. Religion's have twisted the words for their own ambitions for hundreds and thousands of years and I want no part of that.

>>>>

A religious life cannot give you what you need. There are millions of people out there living "religious lives" yet they do not have Jesus Christ.

In some form or another, yes it does. In Christianity, live by the bible or burn forever. Islam I'm not as familiar, but I'm pretty sure it's live by the Quran or burn forever. Judaism seems to be the most reasonable of the big 3, but it's evolved a lot and basically it's obey God or burn for all eternity. Hinduism is live by whatever code they have or you'll come back as a cockroach. Buddhism is copastetic :thup:

But for the majority of people in the world, religion = do this or burn for eternity.
Not every religion believes in burn forever. The religion I grew up with but don't necessarily identify believes in burning but... until you die. lol. So not really that bad. I imagine it more of as a explosive fire that consumes the unhappy people that don't want to be in heaven. Once again I don't really practice or have a strong belief though.

Not every religion believes in burn forever. The religion I grew up with but don't necessarily identify believes in burning but... until you die. lol. So not really that bad. I imagine it more of as a explosive fire that consumes the unhappy people that don't want to be in heaven. Once again I don't really practice or have a strong belief though.
Can I ask what religion you were raised in? Purely curiosity I can't think of a religion that says that off the top of my head.

>>>>

I agree. Some people say that if Moses was lying, then he was brilliant to do so because he united people for the common cause of religion. When I think of Jesus I hope that what he says is true, and though I've never been given reason to believe that what he says is true I still agree with what he said, and that his words are brilliant.

So I don't believe at all in organized religion, but I respect the words in the New Testament. Religion's have twisted the words for their own ambitions for hundreds and thousands of years and I want no part of that.
I often tell right wing Christians that my liberalism is based on a careful study of the words of Jesus and they fucking flip and demonstrate one of the rewards of being a mainstream Christian, unlimited self-righteous anger.

>>>>

I'm glad you respect the Words of Jesus Christ in the New Testament, OldSchool. Because Jesus said this about anger:

But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. Matthew 5:22

>>>>

I often tell right wing Christians that my liberalism is based on a careful study of the words of Jesus and they fucking flip and demonstrate one of the rewards of being a mainstream Christian, unlimited self-righteous anger.[/QUOTE

Please respect my thread and drop the profanity and personal attacks on Christians. Address the OP - stay on topic. Thank you.

Can I ask what religion you were raised in? Purely curiosity I can't think of a religion that says that off the top of my head.
It was Seventh Day Adventist. Some people accuse it of being a cult or shit like that but it's not. Refer to Family Guy for the real differences.

It believes that when the bible says "burn forever" it really means just burn until it is gone. The rationale is that in the bible it also says that Sodom and Gommorah will burn forever but did it really? If you believe it happened then it didn't actually burn forever. It's a very Biblical religion.

Faith comes by hearing the Word of God - keep reading the Bible- your faith will grow.

The basis of hell is that the people who go there really wouldn't be happy in heaven anyways. It's not viewed as an evil thing but more of saving the wicked from living unhappy lives forever. Think of the number of people that want to end there lives on this earth. Why would they want to live forever if they already want to kill themselves?

>>>>

I'm glad you respect the Words of Jesus Christ in the New Testament, OldSchool. Because Jesus said this about anger:

But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. Matthew 5:22
Yeah I try to ignore the bits about Jesus telling people they'll burn in hell for eternity. His words were written down several decades after his death by crazy old tribesmen after all all. But the basic gist of it is good stuff. :thup:

The basis of hell is that the people who go there really wouldn't be happy in heaven anyways. It's not viewed as an evil thing but more of saving the wicked from living unhappy lives forever. Think of the number of people that want to end there lives on this earth. Why would they want to live forever if they already want to kill themselves?
That's your take. But in most interpretations of the Bible, Quran, and Torah hell is a form of extreme punishment.

That's your take. But in most interpretations of the Bible, Quran, and Torah hell is a form of extreme punishment.
I'm basing that take off the religion I grew up in. I didn't just make it up on my own. Eternal torture doesn't make sense for a loving god.

Yeah I try to ignore the bits about Jesus telling people they'll burn in hell for eternity. His words were written down several decades after his death by crazy old tribesmen after all all. But the basic gist of it is good stuff. :thup:
You are sadly mistaken. Read Evidence that demands a verdict and you will learn that the Bible as a book of antiquity is according to scholars the most intact - unchanged book on earth today and the second book to it would be the Illiad. So say the experts. The book examines all the evidence and proves the point. Buy a copy.

Forum List

Back