What the Bible says about Anger

In some form or another, yes it does. In Christianity, live by the bible or burn forever. Islam I'm not as familiar, but I'm pretty sure it's live by the Quran or burn forever. Judaism seems to be the most reasonable of the big 3, but it's evolved a lot and basically it's obey God or burn for all eternity. Hinduism is live by whatever code they have or you'll come back as a cockroach. Buddhism is copastetic :thup:

But for the majority of people in the world, religion = do this or burn for eternity.
Not every religion believes in burn forever. The religion I grew up with but don't necessarily identify believes in burning but... until you die. lol. So not really that bad. I imagine it more of as a explosive fire that consumes the unhappy people that don't want to be in heaven. Once again I don't really practice or have a strong belief though.
Can I ask what religion you were raised in? Purely curiosity I can't think of a religion that says that off the top of my head.
The basis of hell is that the people who go there really wouldn't be happy in heaven anyways. It's not viewed as an evil thing but more of saving the wicked from living unhappy lives forever. Think of the number of people that want to end there lives on this earth. Why would they want to live forever if they already want to kill themselves?
That's your take. But in most interpretations of the Bible, Quran, and Torah hell is a form of extreme punishment.
I'm basing that take off the religion I grew up in. I didn't just make it up on my own. Eternal torture doesn't make sense for a loving god.
I couldn't agree more :thup:

In some form or another, yes it does. In Christianity, live by the bible or burn forever. Islam I'm not as familiar, but I'm pretty sure it's live by the Quran or burn forever. Judaism seems to be the most reasonable of the big 3, but it's evolved a lot and basically it's obey God or burn for all eternity. Hinduism is live by whatever code they have or you'll come back as a cockroach. Buddhism is copastetic :thup:

But for the majority of people in the world, religion = do this or burn for eternity.
Not every religion believes in burn forever. The religion I grew up with but don't necessarily identify believes in burning but... until you die. lol. So not really that bad. I imagine it more of as a explosive fire that consumes the unhappy people that don't want to be in heaven. Once again I don't really practice or have a strong belief though.
Can I ask what religion you were raised in? Purely curiosity I can't think of a religion that says that off the top of my head.
The basis of hell is that the people who go there really wouldn't be happy in heaven anyways. It's not viewed as an evil thing but more of saving the wicked from living unhappy lives forever. Think of the number of people that want to end there lives on this earth. Why would they want to live forever if they already want to kill themselves?
That's your take. But in most interpretations of the Bible, Quran, and Torah hell is a form of extreme punishment.
I'm basing that take off the religion I grew up in. I didn't just make it up on my own. Eternal torture doesn't make sense for a loving god.

I look forward to talking to you again, Superman. I'd like to discuss the church you were brought up in and examine what you were taught using King James Bibles verses to compare notes. Have a nice evening.

People don't supply me with "simplistic moral judgments".
Life is always there to learn from...that's a fact for everyone. Gods word is the ultimate spiritual growth.
Many of my own moral judgements come from my strict southern baptist upbringing. I have experienced everything a religious life has to offer and eventually just decided to skip the mumbo-jumbo spirituality and ritual and just be as Jesus said we should be: Kind and giving. If God requires more than that then he is just asking too much, I cannot be a part of something that operates on fear and guilt to the extent organized religion does. I never give people shit over their personal faith, but religion itself is a horrible burden on mankind and a continual source of strife.
I agree. Some people say that if Moses was lying, then he was brilliant to do so because he united people for the common cause of religion. When I think of Jesus I hope that what he says is true, and though I've never been given reason to believe that what he says is true I still agree with what he said, and that his words are brilliant.

So I don't believe at all in organized religion, but I respect the words in the New Testament. Religion's have twisted the words for their own ambitions for hundreds and thousands of years and I want no part of that.

I'm glad you respect the Words of Jesus Christ in the New Testament, OldSchool. Because Jesus said this about anger:

But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. Matthew 5:22
Yeah I try to ignore the bits about Jesus telling people they'll burn in hell for eternity. His words were written down several decades after his death by crazy old tribesmen after all all. But the basic gist of it is good stuff. :thup:
You are sadly mistaken. Read Evidence that demands a verdict and you will learn that the Bible as a book of antiquity is according to scholars the most intact - unchanged book on earth today and the second book to it would be the Illiad. So say the experts. The book examines all the evidence and proves the point. Buy a copy.
True or false, the gospels of the New Testament were written long after Jesus' death.

I couldn't agree more :thup:
To me, the belief in eternal torture is one of the biggest things that turns people off religion and one of the biggest misinterpretations.

I look forward to talking to you again, Superman. I'd like to discuss the church you were brought up in and examine what you were taught using King James Bibles verses to compare notes. Have a nice evening.
You too. People primarily used the King James Bible in the church I went to as well. From research I've seen it isn't even the most accurate one though. I don't know why it is by far the most widely accepted. There are other bibles that are more direct interpretations from the original language it was written in.

Sure it is, letting someone else supply you with simplistic moral judgements rather than making up your own mind is to hide from many of life's ethical enigmas that ironically result in spiritual growth.

Life is always there to learn from...that's a fact for everyone. Gods word is the ultimate spiritual growth.
Many of my own moral judgements come from my strict southern baptist upbringing. I have experienced everything a religious life has to offer and eventually just decided to skip the mumbo-jumbo spirituality and ritual and just be as Jesus said we should be: Kind and giving. If God requires more than that then he is just asking too much, I cannot be a part of something that operates on fear and guilt to the extent organized religion does. I never give people shit over their personal faith, but religion itself is a horrible burden on mankind and a continual source of strife.
I agree. Some people say that if Moses was lying, then he was brilliant to do so because he united people for the common cause of religion. When I think of Jesus I hope that what he says is true, and though I've never been given reason to believe that what he says is true I still agree with what he said, and that his words are brilliant.

So I don't believe at all in organized religion, but I respect the words in the New Testament. Religion's have twisted the words for their own ambitions for hundreds and thousands of years and I want no part of that.
I often tell right wing Christians that my liberalism is based on a careful study of the words of Jesus and they fucking flip and demonstrate one of the rewards of being a mainstream Christian, unlimited self-righteous anger.[/QUOTE

Please respect my thread and drop the profanity and personal attacks on Christians. Address the OP - stay on topic. Thank you.
Even Jesus used to stop everything to call out the hypocrites, want to be a real christian? Take the beam from your eye first. As one who has suffered the self-righteous anger of Christians all my life I can tell you plainly that the main core of anger in a Christian's life is considered by most to be a strength.

Sure it is, letting someone else supply you with simplistic moral judgements rather than making up your own mind is to hide from many of life's ethical enigmas that ironically result in spiritual growth.

I'm glad you respect the Words of Jesus Christ in the New Testament, OldSchool. Because Jesus said this about anger:

But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. Matthew 5:22
Yeah I try to ignore the bits about Jesus telling people they'll burn in hell for eternity. His words were written down several decades after his death by crazy old tribesmen after all all. But the basic gist of it is good stuff. :thup:
Jesus never mentioned Hell. His focus was on making earth less hellish.

You too. People primarily used the King James Bible in the church I went to as well. From research I've seen it isn't even the most accurate one though. I don't know why it is by far the most widely accepted. There are other bibles that are more direct interpretations from the original language it was written in.
IMO you have to take everything in the bible with a grain of salt. None of the original written documents exist, and even THEY were written as translations. Jesus and the apostles spoke Aramaic, but the earliest New Testament gospels were written in Greek. And we all know how many errors happen during translations. None of those works exist anymore btw. So then the already translated versions of the Old and New Testaments were translated AGAIN into Latin. And it should be noted that the printing press did not exist at the time, and so all written translations were different. So THEN those works that had already been translated and re-written COUNTLESS times over more than a THOUSAND years were translated yet again into Olde English in the form of the King James Bible. That bible, btw, was officially updated multiple times over the centuries with politics playing a role in each update.

So who knows what in the world the original teachings could possibly have been. But the main gist is try your best to be a good person. And that's cool by me.

You are sadly mistaken. Read Evidence that demands a verdict and you will learn that the Bible as a book of antiquity is according to scholars the most intact - unchanged book on earth today and the second book to it would be the Illiad. So say the experts. The book examines all the evidence and proves the point. Buy a copy.
True or false, the gospels of the New Testament were written long after Jesus' death.
It's true and the early believers had the Scriptures long before Constantine and the Roman Catholic religion were invented to try to stop the spread of Christianity. You and Occupied remind me of something William Gurnall once said. He said, Satan interferes with God's messengers. When God sent Moses to deliver Israel, Satan sent Jannes and Jambres to resist him. ( See the account in Exodus 7:11 and 2 Timothy 3:8) When Paul preached the truth to the deputy, Elymas countered with lies (Acts 13:8) Satan has spies on every corner, watching the activities of the saints. When God sends his children on an errand of mercy to a sinner, these spies race to beat them and block their way.

That was what Gurnall said and I know he is right. But what you must realize is that when God sends His children on an errand? The gates of hell shall not prevail against us.

Fear is the path of the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

Last edited:

And so you haven't shared with us your secret for dealing with anger. What is it?
There's no secret, you work hard every day to gain self-control and forgive people for being human. Find something that turns down the volume in your life and above all, remember that we are only here for a little while so don't sweat the small stuff. Pretty generic but it works for me.
Some people need the threat of eternal damnation to manage themselves. Quite the cop out if you ask me.
I don't really think the advice comes with the threat of eternal damnation stamped on it. It is simply good advice.
But without the threat of eternal damnation it's just good advice, and not religion.

How is recognizing the consequences of your actions a cop out?

I believe it is hurt and pain that leads to anger. People who are hurt and suffering are like a helpless creature that has found itself caught in a trap it cannot free itself from. When you try to get near the suffering creature to help it - to remove the trap they are held in, it will turn and try to bite you because it doesn't understand what you are trying to do.

This is a picture of the person caught in sin. The Believer tries to give the person the truth that will set them free but in the person's pain and suffering they cannot see that the truth they are being given is the way out.

Jesus came to set the captives free.

Jesus Christ said,

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised.

Luke 4:18

God sent His only begotten Son to die on a cross at Calvary and He raised him on the 3rd day, not only for our salvation but for our deliverance, for our healing, to give us a hope and a future!

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

I believe it is hurt and pain that leads to anger. People who are hurt and suffering are like a helpless creature that has found itself caught in a trap it cannot free itself from. When you try to get near the suffering creature to help it - to remove the trap they are held in, it will turn and try to bite you because it doesn't understand what you are trying to do.

This is a picture of the person caught in sin. The Believer tries to give the person the truth that will set them free but in the person's pain and suffering they cannot see that the truth they are being given is the way out.

Jesus came to set the captives free.

Jesus Christ said,

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised.

Luke 4:18

God sent His only begotten Son to die on a cross at Calvary and He raised him on the 3rd day, not only for our salvation but for our deliverance, for our healing, to give us a hope and a future!

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
Buddha

Anger is not necessarily a bad thing, occupied. Jesus was angry when he saw the money changers in His Fathers House (The Temple) merchandising Him. It was a holy anger and it was justified. The Bible tells us be ye angry but sin not! In other words, do not sin in your anger.

What can you do if thoughts about an offense begin to overwhelm you causing you to boil over in anger? Drop the thought immediately and turn it over to Jesus Christ. Don't talk about it incessantly it will only lead to greater anger. Instead ask Jesus to take care of the matter and leave it in His Hands.

Anger is not necessarily a bad thing, occupied. Jesus was angry when he saw the money changers in His Fathers House (The Temple) merchandising Him. It was a holy anger and it was justified. The Bible tells us be ye angry but sin not! In other words, do not sin in your anger.

What can you do if thoughts about an offense begin to overwhelm you causing you to boil over in anger? Drop the thought immediately and turn it over to Jesus Christ. Don't talk about it incessantly it will only lead to greater anger. Instead ask Jesus to take care of the matter and leave it in His Hands.
Anger is always unnecessary, even when it is used as a motivation for constructive tasks it clouds your mind and practically no one has the ability to just turn it off.

If anger were unnecessary - God would not have given us that emotion. If a memory was not necessary - God would not have given us one of those either. Properly used both can be a blessing. Let me give you an example of how God can turn anger - turned over to him - as a blessing to others, Occupied.

There was a woman years ago who was driving with her child when her car was crashed by a person on drugs. Her child ended up injured very badly and then later another of her children were injured in a car by a drunk driver. Now her third child was killed by a drunk driver. She felt overwhelmed with anger over having had not 1, not 2 but 3 of her children effected by those driving under the influence! She turned to the LORD. The LORD used this woman to become the founder of MADD. Mothers Against Drunk Drivers.

Through this woman's suffering she turned her pain and her anger into something that would benefit others. How did this happen? She said what happened to her she never wanted to happen to any other parent.

You have a choice. You can let your pain and anger destroy you or you can turn it over to Jesus Christ and let him take the broken pieces and make something beautiful out of your life.

If anger were unnecessary - God would not have given us that emotion. If a memory was not necessary - God would not have given us one of those either. Properly used both can be a blessing. Let me give you an example of how God can turn anger - turned over to him - as a blessing to others, Occupied.

There was a woman years ago who was driving with her child when her car was crashed by a person on drugs. Her child ended up injured very badly and then later another of her children were injured in a car by a drunk driver. Now her third child was killed by a drunk driver. She felt overwhelmed with anger over having had not 1, not 2 but 3 of her children effected by those driving under the influence! She turned to the LORD. The LORD used this woman to become the founder of MADD. Mothers Against Drunk Drivers.

Through this woman's suffering she turned her pain and her anger into something that would benefit others. How did this happen? She said what happened to her she never wanted to happen to any other parent.

You have a choice. You can let your pain and anger destroy you or you can turn it over to Jesus Christ and let him take the broken pieces and make something beautiful out of your life.
For every story where good was accomplished through anger there are many more where it destroyed good things and it always destroys joy. A wise man once said: "Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured."

Forum List

Back