What the Bible says about Anger

We're talking about a solution, not a cop out. The answer is in Christ. This is a Scriptural teaching that this Pastor offers to deal with the problem of anger.
Organized religion is the ultimate cop-out.

We're talking about Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ has the answer. If we listen to the Word of God and apply it to our lives we are going to see a real and lasting change. A positive change.
You know talking about scripture on here is like speaking to deaf people right?
We're talking about a solution, not a cop out. The answer is in Christ. This is a Scriptural teaching that this Pastor offers to deal with the problem of anger.

We're talking about Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ has the answer. If we listen to the Word of God and apply it to our lives we are going to see a real and lasting change. A positive change.
You know talking about scripture on here is like speaking to deaf people right?

No because the Word of God tells me differently. When people read the Word it does have an effect on them.

it is written:

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosperin the thing whereto I sent it.
It's not me. Fools will mock you.

Let me tell you what William Gurnall had to say about mockers. He said, Let those who will mock and scorn your faith. What is heaven worth if you cannot bear a little shame? If they spit in your face, Christ will wipe it off. They may laugh at you now, but not later. The final outcome has already been declared, and you have sided with the victor.

I like that. Thought I would share it with you, Superman.

Give 'em a little weed. That'll calm them down. :thup:

>>>>
Ignoring your negative spin...its definitely not a cop out
Sure it is, letting someone else supply you with simplistic moral judgements rather than making up your own mind is to hide from many of life's ethical enigmas that ironically result in spiritual growth.

And so you haven't shared with us your secret for dealing with anger. What is it?

>>>>
Sure it is, letting someone else supply you with simplistic moral judgements rather than making up your own mind is to hide from many of life's ethical enigmas that ironically result in spiritual growth.

And so you haven't shared with us your secret for dealing with anger. What is it?
That's his secret...

He's ALWAYS angry!!!

movies_avengers_trailer_b-15.jpeg

Here is wisdom:

Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man thou shalt not go:
Proverbs 22:24

Here is a commentary on the bible verse above:

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible

Make no friendship with an angry man,.... Do not associate with him; contract not a familiarity with him; make him not a companion; take him not into an intimacy, or use him as a particular friend and acquaintance: a man should be courteous, and carry it civilly to all men; but he should take care whom he admits as his bosom friend; he should be cautious in his choice of a familiar friend, and not receive any; and, among the rest, avoid an angry and passionate man, one who is much given to passion himself, and stirs it up in others; for there can be no lasting peace and pleasure in such a man's company and conversation; and with a furious man thou shall not go: not take a walk with him, much less a journey; or shall not be frequently together. It may be rendered, "unto a man of wraths", or of great wrath and "fury, thou shall not come"; not enter into his house, nor seek his company, and court his conversation, which rather should be shunned.

Last edited:

>>>>

There's no secret, you work hard every day to gain self-control and forgive people for being human. Find something that turns down the volume in your life and above all, remember that we are only here for a little while so don't sweat the small stuff. Pretty generic but it works for me.

>>>>

There's no secret, you work hard every day to gain self-control and forgive people for being human. Find something that turns down the volume in your life and above all, remember that we are only here for a little while so don't sweat the small stuff. Pretty generic but it works for me.
Some people need the threat of eternal damnation to manage themselves. Quite the cop out if you ask me.

>>>>

People don't supply me with "simplistic moral judgments".
Life is always there to learn from...that's a fact for everyone. Gods word is the ultimate spiritual growth.

>>>>

I live a Spirit controlled life so I do not have to work hard at forgiveness. I believe finding Jesus Christ was the answer for me and that is why I am sharing His Word with you. Because without Him? There is no peace.

>>>>

Some people need the threat of eternal damnation to manage themselves. Quite the cop out if you ask me.
All life's choices reduced to a simplistic punishment-reward dichotomy, that's how trained animals live, people are supposed to be somewhat more autonomous.

Here is an interesting little bible study on anger:

Anger Wrath Temper Control the Bible

What is the problem with anger? What is the danger?

A. Bible Examples of Acceptable Anger
Some people assume that Christians should never show signs of a temper. If a Christian raises his voice or becomes visibly upset, some people think or act as though he violated his duty as a Christian. Consider:

God is angry with sin.
Psalm 7:11 - Because He is a just God, God is angry with sinners every day. Surely God's anger is not wrong. It is proper, for it is even based on His justice.

Many other passages show that God is angry when people commit sin. He will punish sinners in wrath. If God is infinitely righteous yet is often angry, why should we conclude that people are always wrong when they are angry?

[Romans 1:18; 2:5-9; 5:6-11; Ephesians 5:6; Colossians 3:6; John 3:36; etc.]

Moses was angry with sin.
The Bible says Moses was more meek than anyone else on earth (Num. 12:3), yet several times he acted and spoke in great anger.

Exodus 11:4-8 - Moses predicted that God would destroy the firstborn in all Egypt. Moses was acting as God's spokesman, yet he spoke "in great anger" (v8).

Exodus 32:19-24 - While Moses was on Mt. Sinai receiving the law, Israel worshiped a golden calf. When he saw this, "Moses' anger became hot" (v19), so much so that other people could see that he was angry (v22). He spoke and he punished the people in anger (cf. vv 25-29).

Numbers 16:15 - When Korah, Dathan, and Abiram led a rebellion against Moses' leadership, "Moses was very angry." He spoke in anger (vv 16ff), and even prayed to God in anger.

>>>>

I don't really think the advice comes with the threat of eternal damnation stamped on it. It is simply good advice.

Jesus was angry with sin.

Mark 3:5 - When Jews condemned Jesus for healing on the sabbath, He looked on them in anger, being grieved at their hardness of heart. Jesus became angry and spoke in anger, even when teaching. Did He sin (Heb. 4:15)?

Other examples of acceptable anger
2 Corinthians 7:11 - In obedience to Paul's inspired teaching (1 Cor. 5), Corinth had disciplined a fornicator. Paul praised them for their "indignation." Note that a whole congregation acted in indignation, even disciplined a member in indignation, and were praised for doing so!

Ephesians 4:26 - Be angry, and do not sin. Can we obey this passage? If so, then it is possible to be angry without sinning.

Not everyone who is angry has automatically done wrong. Some anger is justified. But note that every case listed above involves being angry at sin. Sin ought to anger Christians, but we must control our response.

Take care lest you conclude that people have sinned, simply because they became angry. Not all anger is sinful.

[Psalms 119:53; Gen. 31:31; Psalm 2:12; Nehemiah 5:6,7; Mark 10:14 - ASV]

B. The Danger of Anger
James 1:19,20 - Be slow to wrath, because the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God. Again, not all anger is forbidden. It does not say to never be angry but to be slow to anger. The problem with anger is what it "produces" or leads to.

Proverbs 14:17 - A quick-tempered manacts foolishly. Not all anger is sinful, but we must take care lest we "fly off the handle," lose control, and act wrongly. [Prov. 29:22]

>>>>

All life's choices reduced to a simplistic punishment-reward dichotomy, that's how trained animals live, people are supposed to be somewhat more autonomous.
True but at the end of they day they are not. Everything we do is motivated by gaining access to reinforcement, and avoiding/escaping punishment.

>>>>

I don't really think the advice comes with the threat of eternal damnation stamped on it. It is simply good advice.
But without the threat of eternal damnation it's just good advice, and not religion.

Anger can cause us to sin in two different ways:

Anger can cause us to "blow up."
Some psychologists encourage people to "vent" their anger. If husbands or wives become angry, they are supposed to say whatever they think, because it "gets it out of the system" or "releases tension." They tell us to allow even little children to throw tantrums, scream, and call parents nasty names.

Proverbs 29:11,20

A fool vents all his feelings, but a wise manholds them back. Do you see a man hasty in his words? There is more hope for a fool than for him.

The problem with anger is that it may lead us to lose control of our conduct and lash out at others with foolish words or deeds that are intended to hurt others and may be regretted later. By contrast, a wise man will control himself, even when he is angry.

The Bible teaches that our words and deeds are controlled by our thoughts. We must learn to control our thoughts and emotions, because harboring sinful thoughts will lead to sinful conduct. [Prov. 4:23; Matt. 15:18ff]

Ephesians 4:31,32

Not all anger is sinful (v26), but we should put away anger that is associated with bitterness, clamor ("loud quarreling" - NKJV ftnt), evil speaking, and malice. It is the opposite of kindness, tenderheartedness, and forgiveness (v32).

Anger is sinful when it leads us to lose control so that, instead of being helpful to others, we become abusive, saying evil or hateful things intended to hurt them. Or we may simply not care about how we affect them. [Col. 3:8ff; 2 Cor. 12:20]

Anger can cause us to "clam up."

Ephesians 4:31,32 - Anger and wrath should be "put away" from us, along with bitterness and malice. But instead of putting away their anger, some people just put it inside: they let it build up bitterness and grudges. They may not say anything, but their hearts are full of malice and a desire to hurt others.

Ephesians 4:26 - Do not let the sun go down on your wrath. Instead of letting anger build up, we should get rid of it. One who "clams up" violates this part of the passage. He may not lash out to hurt others, but neither does he work constructively to eliminate the cause of his anger. He just lets it build up.

James 1:19 - Let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath. Note that it says be slow to wrath and slow to speak, not "refuse" to speak.

Leviticus 19:17,18 - Hating our brother and holding a grudge against him in our heart violates the law of loving our neighbor as ourselves (which is also a New Testament law). To avoid this, rebuke him: talk to him about his wrong.

Some view clamming up as the only solution to blowing up. You don't say or do anything harmful (at the time), but you hold bitterness in your heart, plotting harmful things to say and do! Both responses violate the pattern.

In fact clamming up is often what leads to blowing up! The pressure builds till finally we lash out with cruelty and malice. When we learn to deal with anger properly, we can avoid both clamming up and blowing up.

Note that both kinds of anger tend to become habit. We practice them so often that they become ingrained in our character and very difficult to overcome. This leads to our next point.

[Matt. 5:21-24; 1 Cor. 13:5]

Forum List

Back