• other foreign languages

• physics

• other sciences

• math

• sports

• history

• still others …

Results are only viewable after voting.
I hated diagramming sentences in English. I hated shop class, especially metal shop. I assume German schools had those or the equivalent?

I hated Calculus because I couldn't relate it to anything. Plane and solid geometry were real things that I could picture, but the only way I could pass a Calc test was memorizing the process, which of course passed through my brain instantly. Very frustrating.

they had some strange ideas of 'literature', and still do.
I couldn't get into "Great Expectations".
I really didn't belong in the college prep course. I was put there by the guidance counsellor. My high school tried to shoehorn lots of students into the college prep course who would had no desire for it. My goal was to just get through high school and get a job, not go on to college.

My high school pretended it was a 'college prep' school, but most students came from working class families and would not go on to college.

I didn't hate any subjects at school. I did like some subjects more that others. What I didn't like about school wasn't the subjects, it was for lack of better word, the structure. It was the conform or be punished nature of school that I didn't like.

I hated Calculus because I couldn't relate it to anything. Plane and solid geometry were real things that I could picture, but the only way I could pass a Calc test was memorizing the process, which of course passed through my brain instantly. Very frustrating.

Just the opposite for me. I hated algebra, and didn't get it until I took Calculus. The hand graphing all those equations was tedious in my day, but it was invaluable in allowing me to look at an equation and guess its graph and shape at a glance. One of the reasons some schools are returning to cursive handwriting is because it helps retention of words and language skills.

I couldn't get into "Great Expectations".
I really didn't belong in the college prep course. I was put there by the guidance counsellor. My high school tried to shoehorn lots of students into the college prep course who would had no desire for it. My goal was to just get through high school and get a job, not go on to college.

My high school pretended it was a 'college prep' school, but most students came from working class families and would not go on to college.

I avoided college prep too; I got into the jobs thing where you got out of school early, before noon, and went to work. It was kind of a joke, since I just bagged bagged groceries, but it was in an affluent part of town and the tips were great. I scored high on the ACTs, 39+ across the four scores then, and got into college easily anyway, without the prep rubbish. Had a lot of savings and a two year old car when I went off to college,

All kinds of jobs for teens back then.

Just the opposite for me. I hated algebra, and didn't get it until I took Calculus. The hand graphing all those equations was tedious in my day, but it was invaluable in allowing me to look at an equation and guess its graph and shape at a glance. One of the reasons some schools are returning to cursive handwriting is because it helps retention of words and language skills.
Lots of people's cursive handwriting is barely legible. If you are writing me a letter, please print it or compose it on a word processor.

I avoided college prep too; I got into the jobs thing where you got out of school early, before noon, and went to work. It was kind of a joke, since I just bagged bagged groceries, but it was in an affluent part of town and the tips were great. I scored high on the ACTs, 39+ across the four scores then, and got into college easily anyway, without the prep rubbish. Had a lot of savings and a two year old car when I went off to college,

All kinds of jobs for teens back then.
I was barely mature enough for high school let alone college. :(
If there was a pretty girl in the class she got most of my attention.:p

Last edited:

Forum List

Back