What’s the most common language in your home state?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
web1_CBOX_BlattLanguage_2.jpg.CROP.original-original_0.jpg

Does this surprise you? Seeing Hmong in Minnesota sort of surprised me until I realized a lot of the persecuted Vietnamese minority settled there after fleeing their homeland. [I wonder why we don't see any national news of high crime rates among them?] The amount of German also surprised me.

I realized there were a lot of Philippinos here in Las Vegas but didn't realize it was state-wide.

Read the article @ What?s the most common language in your home state? | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Seeing Hmong in Minnesota sort of surprised me until I realized a lot of the persecuted Vietnamese minority settled there after fleeing their homeland.
I am very surprised that it was not Somali in Minnesota. :eusa_eh:

I noticed that the most dominant language after English and Spanish is German. It's not surprising since a huge wave of Germans moved to the US after WWII. If it were not for the Germans, we wouldn't have hot dogs or hamburgers. :D

Seeing Hmong in Minnesota sort of surprised me until I realized a lot of the persecuted Vietnamese minority settled there after fleeing their homeland.

I noticed that the most dominant language after English and Spanish is German. It's not surprising since a huge wave of Germans moved to the US after WWII. If it were not for the Germans, we wouldn't have hot dogs or hamburgers. :D

Wisconsin was settled by Germans who moved there before either World War. Financial times were terrible in Germany for a long time. And there were many conflicts which could get young men impressed into service and nationalities declared void well before WWI.

Anyway, my German ancestors were part of a wave who settled in Wisconsin in the 1800's.

Used to be French - now it's Portuguese but a corrupt Cape Verdean dialect of it.

Town where I grew up bought a white firetruck (before it was considered racist so to do). They had to add "Departement de Feu" in gold leaf under "Fire Department" because the Froggie kids thought it was an ice-cream truck.

Germans are, indeed, the largest ancestry group of the Europeans in Utah.

However, the common language is English universally, and probably a good 60% of us speak Spanish from basic to fluently.

The most common Portuguese in MA is not Cape Verdian Creole, it is the Portuguese spoken by Brazilian immigrants.

Wisconsin was settled by Germans who moved there before either World War. Financial times were terrible in Germany for a long time. And there were many conflicts which could get young men impressed into service and nationalities declared void well before WWI.

Anyway, my German ancestors were part of a wave who settled in Wisconsin in the 1800's.

during world war II two German POWs escaped from billy mitchell field

which housed 3000 POWs

they were surprised at the number of Germans that lived in the area

Used to be French - now it's Portuguese but a corrupt Cape Verdean dialect of it.

Town where I grew up bought a white firetruck (before it was considered racist so to do). They had to add "Departement de Feu" in gold leaf under "Fire Department" because the Froggie kids thought it was an ice-cream truck.
Ever been to Aroostook county Maine? There are some neighborhoods there that are exclusively French speaking.

I take issue with there assessment of my home state of Florida. It has to be Hispanic. I know it's Hispanic in Miami, Tampa, and Orlando, creole can be found but Hispanic finds you.

It's Polish in Ill,

That explains so much.

:D

But in PA it should be Pennsylvania Dutch or Dutchy, cuz I find it hard to buy that there's enough Italians to make a dent

Then you don't know PA. Italians are one of PA's largest ethnic groups.

Pennsilfaanish Dietsch isn't spoken by many.

We have this book translated into that language

About Bunnies

The most common Portuguese in MA is not Cape Verdian Creole, it is the Portuguese spoken by Brazilian immigrants.

This is true in most of the state. But in the armpit corner even the Brazilians are keeping their distance. The root cause seems to be the fishing industry which attracts the Cape Verde folks.

It's Polish in Ill,

That explains so much.

:D

But in PA it should be Pennsylvania Dutch or Dutchy, cuz I find it hard to buy that there's enough Italians to make a dent

Then you don't know PA. Italians are one of PA's largest ethnic groups.

Pennsilfaanish Dietsch isn't spoken by many.

We have this book translated into that language

About Bunnies
I recall watching Bruno Sammartino wrestle as a kid growing up. I was a huge fan. He was one of the more popular Italians, he was an Italian immigrant who lived Pittsburgh. However, I believe there are more Italian Americans in Philadelphia. There is a Little Italy in both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, thus both cities have a significant number of Italian Americans.

Forum List

Back