What’s the most common language in your home state?

Anyone know off the top of their head what the 3rd most common non-English language is in the US? No googling!

It's Polish in Ill,

That explains so much.

:D

But in PA it should be Pennsylvania Dutch or Dutchy, cuz I find it hard to buy that there's enough Italians to make a dent

Then you don't know PA. Italians are one of PA's largest ethnic groups.

Pennsilfaanish Dietsch isn't spoken by many.

We have this book translated into that language

About Bunnies
I recall watching Bruno Sammartino wrestle as a kid growing up. I was a huge fan. He was one of the more popular Italians, he was an Italian immigrant who lived Pittsburgh. However, I believe there are more Italian Americans in Philadelphia. There is a Little Italy in both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, thus both cities have a significant number of Italian Americans.

im Sicilian/Italian....where i grew up in Western NY a lot of Italian was spoken.....sometimes exclusively....

In the Mississippi Delta region in the 1920s there was a brief, disastrous attempt to replace blacks who were migrating to northern cities with Italian immigrants to fill the labor shortage.

It didn't work out too well.

Last edited:
Then you don't know PA. Italians are one of PA's largest ethnic groups.

Pennsilfaanish Dietsch isn't spoken by many.

We have this book translated into that language

About Bunnies
I recall watching Bruno Sammartino wrestle as a kid growing up. I was a huge fan. He was one of the more popular Italians, he was an Italian immigrant who lived Pittsburgh. However, I believe there are more Italian Americans in Philadelphia. There is a Little Italy in both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, thus both cities have a significant number of Italian Americans.

im Sicilian/Italian....where i grew up in Western NY a lot of Italian was spoken.....sometimes exclusively....
No doubt New York is the state that has the most Italian Americans than any other state. I recall Brooklyn had a huge Italian American population.

No doubt New York is the state that has the most Italian Americans than any other state. I recall Brooklyn had a huge Italian American population.

i havent been to a good Italian restaurant since those days....

Seeing Hmong in Minnesota sort of surprised me until I realized a lot of the persecuted Vietnamese minority settled there after fleeing their homeland.
I am very surprised that it was not Somali in Minnesota. :eusa_eh:

I noticed that the most dominant language after English and Spanish is German. It's not surprising since a huge wave of Germans moved to the US after WWII. If it were not for the Germans, we wouldn't have hot dogs or hamburgers. :D

My father's family came from Germany in the very early 1900's My grandmother from Frankfurt and grandfather from Hamburg.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back