What now?

Big Black Dog

Platinum Member
May 20, 2009
Under ideal conditions, I like to buy a turkey that is just small enough that if I invite enough people over for Thanksgiving dinner, it will be completely eaten. However, most often that isn't the case because the wife always buys the biggest turkey she can find. So, there is always left over turkey. This in itself isn't a problem until it has been hanging around for more than several days. The first couple of days, turkey sandwiches are just fine. In fact, not a bad thing. Then the turkey begins to lose it's place in my heart. What do you do with your left over turkey? When is enough turkey, enough turkey? What say you?

I make what I refer to as turkey slop. I cut up white and dark meat and skin into bite sized pieces and put it in a skillet with maybe a 1/4 cup of water and 2 or 3 tbsp of butter When the meat is about heated I add about the same amount of stuffing (as the meat) and some left over gravy and add a teaspoon of poultry seasoning. I cook it on fairly high heat turning with a spatula until it thickens up.
Serve with jellied cranberry sauce.
I can handle 3 or 4 meals before everything left goes in a pot of water that I boil dry and throw away

turkey pot pie. I guarantee we eat more turkey pot pie than we do actual turkey. This year I fried a turkey but there was an uproar about not having turkey for pot pie, so we roasted one as well.

The fried was incredible, and now we have enough to make turkey pot pies for everyone.

My mom's recipe with a few adjustments

1 (2 pound) boneless turkey (we use the dark meat that hardly one eats alone), cut into medium pieces
4 cups chicken stock
4 parsley sprigs
1 bay leaf
3 thyme sprigs
3 black peppercorns
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 pound lima beans
1 Lb potatoes, cubed
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large onion, sliced thinly
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup coarsely chopped parsley
2 tablespoons fresh sage
4 Premade frozen pie crusts

Directions

Butter two 4-quart baking dish. Put bottom crust in each baking dish, then divide turkey

In large pot start stock simmering

Add carrots, lima beans, peas, and potatoes to broth and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer carrots, potatoes, lima beans and thawed peas to the buttered baking dish. Strain broth into a bowl. Melt butter in the same pot over medium heat. Add Onion and cook until soft. Add flour and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in broth and white wine. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook until reduced slightly. Add cream and cook until sauce thickens enough to coat a spoon. Season with salt and pepper and add the parsley and sage. Pour the sauce over the turkey and vegetables in the baking dish.

Cover each dish with premade crust, cutting vents in top crust, and bake at 400 degrees until golden brown, usually around an hour. Now for the key, let pie stand for 15 minutes before cutting open to serve.

Prepare to have a new family favorite. These are incredible. You can of course make your own crust, but IMHO it's not worth the extra work.

Turkey-kabobs, turkey creole, turkey gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple turkey, lemon turkey, coconut turkey, pepper turkey, turkey soup, turkey stew, turkey salad, turkey and potatoes, turkey burger, turkey sandwich...

Turkey-kabobs, turkey creole, turkey gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple turkey, lemon turkey, coconut turkey, pepper turkey, turkey soup, turkey stew, turkey salad, turkey and potatoes, turkey burger, turkey sandwich...

You know Bubba, don't you?

Forum List

Back