what is white?

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
When I lived in an all black neighborhood I was white. When I moved to a white neighborhood I was not white I was greek. But eventually I fell into the white category. On job applications there's no choice for greek.

So now I'm hearing George stephanopolis talk about the greek family murdered by the black guy and I see usmb members calling the family white?

How come my whiter neighbors didn't think of us as white? Maybe it was the long last name. Soon Indians and Arabs will be white, if they aren't already. I work with a Chaldean and she is absolutely white. Would my whiter neighbors growing up agree? Does the kkk think George stephanopolis is white?

"White" is one of those human representative expressions. It depend upon "black" to exist and/or be understood.
Human perceptions and thoughts function on contrasts and seeming opposites which actually are intimately connected.
When these representative words and thoughts become mistaken for other than subjective reality, problems arise.

So, when a crazed white guy walks intot crowded theater and opens fire with his weapon, killing people of many races and colors, we call that?

White on rye murder?

Just to refresh memories:
there is one human race.

And that is one definition of the word.

There is also the one that the poster is obviously referring to, ie

"c: a category of humankind that shares certain distinctive physical traits"

Sooooooo, thanks for your valuable contribution to this thread.

When I lived in an all black neighborhood I was white. When I moved to a white neighborhood I was not white I was greek. But eventually I fell into the white category. On job applications there's no choice for greek.

So now I'm hearing George stephanopolis talk about the greek family murdered by the black guy and I see usmb members calling the family white?

How come my whiter neighbors didn't think of us as white? Maybe it was the long last name. Soon Indians and Arabs will be white, if they aren't already. I work with a Chaldean and she is absolutely white. Would my whiter neighbors growing up agree? Does the kkk think George stephanopolis is white?
Really confusing, isn't it? How many skin colors do we have in this world? I've heard skin color mentioned as being red, white, brown, black, yellow, and various shades of each. I've often wondered what difference does it make, especially since we all bleed red. I've read, from different sources through the years, that skin color is primarily the result of the region one's ancestors originated from. For example, those in the Middle East are brown shinned, those in Latin American countries are brown skinned, native Americans are considered to be red skinned, and so on. I've also read that skin color is the result of the climate where our ancestors originated, whether it's cold or hot.

In my opinion, the only difference between the various skin colors, is how people see each one. For example, here in the U.S., black skinned people are considered to be several steps below other skin colors. It all has to do with prejudices, bias, hatred, feelings of superiority, mental conditioning from a very early age in life, social influences, how we're raised by our parents, and following our peers in order to be accepted. In reality, there are good and bad members of each race, nationality, religion, and social order and class. We have made racism, we've given it meaning, and we have fueled the race fires that have been burning for centuries now. It's the "us" against "them" mentality, the feelings of race superiority, and the belief that social separation is normal and natural in societies around the globe.

We are all humans, all bleed red, all feel emotions such as pain, sorrow, love, compassion, envy, jealousy, grief, and yes, even hatred. We're uncivil civilized people, if that makes any sense. In other words, without something or someone to feel superior over, we're just one species marching in unison, to the same drum beat, and living in a state of boring equalization. This conditioning, over many centuries, spanning historical eras dating back before Biblical times, has grown to what we're seeing and experiencing today on a global scale. Man has never elevated beyond class warfare, social division, religion criticism, political discontent, power struggles, racism, hatred, prejudices, and the push for superiority. Life is an eternal battle between ourselves and how we see others. Acceptance and tolerance depends on our character and what we want our lives to be. We can hate and pass judgment, or we can live as one people, living in a peaceful and civil world. The choice is ours, and at times, we obviously make the wrong choices.

You are one confused individual. How do you make it through the day?

"White" is one of those human representative expressions. It depend upon "black" to exist and/or be understood.
Human perceptions and thoughts function on contrasts and seeming opposites which actually are intimately connected.
When these representative words and thoughts become mistaken for other than subjective reality, problems arise.
Very nice post

It's a general category.

What do you identify as?
Sometimes white and sometimes greek. Like when growing up we would say "look at all these american women sleeping around....referring to high school and college women who slept around, compared to our virginal greek girls. Just like the father in my big fat Greek wedding didn't want his daughter marrying an axceno. I believe that means white american. If she would have brought home a mavro that's a black.

But notice he didnt even want her marrying a white if he wasn't greek?

It's a general category.

What do you identify as?
Sometimes white and sometimes greek. Like when growing up we would say "look at all these american women sleeping around....referring to high school and college women who slept around, compared to our virginal greek girls. Just like the father in my big fat Greek wedding didn't want his daughter marrying an axceno. I believe that means white american. If she would have brought home a mavro that's a black.

Plenty of room in "White" for greeks.

Wanting to stay in an ethnicity is not the same as not being part of a general Race.

Really confusing, isn't it? How many skin colors do we have in this world? I've heard skin color mentioned as being red, white, brown, black, yellow, and various shades of each. I've often wondered what difference does it make, especially since we all bleed red. I've read, from different sources through the years, that skin color is primarily the result of the region one's ancestors originated from. For example, those in the Middle East are brown shinned, those in Latin American countries are brown skinned, native Americans are considered to be red skinned, and so on. I've also read that skin color is the result of the climate where our ancestors originated, whether it's cold or hot.

In my opinion, the only difference between the various skin colors, is how people see each one. For example, here in the U.S., black skinned people are considered to be several steps below other skin colors. It all has to do with prejudices, bias, hatred, feelings of superiority, mental conditioning from a very early age in life, social influences, how we're raised by our parents, and following our peers in order to be accepted. In reality, there are good and bad members of each race, nationality, religion, and social order and class. We have made racism, we've given it meaning, and we have fueled the race fires that have been burning for centuries now. It's the "us" against "them" mentality, the feelings of race superiority, and the belief that social separation is normal and natural in societies around the globe.

We are all humans, all bleed red, all feel emotions such as pain, sorrow, love, compassion, envy, jealousy, grief, and yes, even hatred. We're uncivil civilized people, if that makes any sense. In other words, without something or someone to feel superior over, we're just one species marching in unison, to the same drum beat, and living in a state of boring equalization. This conditioning, over many centuries, spanning historical eras dating back before Biblical times, has grown to what we're seeing and experiencing today on a global scale. Man has never elevated beyond class warfare, social division, religion criticism, political discontent, power struggles, racism, hatred, prejudices, and the push for superiority. Life is an eternal battle between ourselves and how we see others. Acceptance and tolerance depends on our character and what we want our lives to be. We can hate and pass judgment, or we can live as one people, living in a peaceful and civil world. The choice is ours, and at times, we obviously make the wrong choices.
I think the 1% that control us all love us being divided.

It's a general category.

What do you identify as?

Plenty of room in "White" for greeks.

Wanting to stay in an ethnicity is not the same as not being part of a general Race.
True but I know some blondes or kkk members wouldnt consider me as white as them. Hell I think in 20 years Arabs and Mexicans will be one of us.

But I tell you to my hillibilly neighbors growing up we were not white. Not in the 80s.

You are one confused individual. How do you make it through the day?
Happily. How about you? And is that all? You offer nothing. Probably true in your real life too.

Forum List

Back