What is the Weirdest Food you have ever eaten?

PS...I've dressed out roadkill in my tub. A weanling came off a cliff under my Mom's Geo as I was cruising about. I made my hubby throw it in the back and we took that puppy home.

Which is sort of funny because just as we were stopping to pick it up two Indians came along and asked us if we were taking it. If we hadn't, they would have.

It all depends on how you dress it. Rank venison is the most foul crap on the face of the earth. The secret is BONE EVERYTHING and trim off anything that's white. And for God's sakes, don't puncture the bladder or let hair get onto the carcass. And never cut through deer bone. Just cut the meat off it.

But our fish and game guys (who were also the dads of kids I went to school with) were hunters and game-dressers extraordinaire so our stuff was never gamey or even identifiable as venison. I didn't know until I saw them bring it in and put it in the school freezer one day during lunch that we used road kill. That's how I found out.

That's interesting. In England, venison is traditionally served (among the aristocracy, at least) only after it has been hung for several days and allowed to decay to a certain point, but not TOO much. Venison prepared in this fashion is known as "high", a term used for all game meats and poultry.

Personally, I can't stand it. I was in South Africa last Christmas and was fortunate enough to try several of their game meats - in particular Springbok and Ostrich. None were served high and I shudder to think what some of my countrymen would have done to them.

My brother likes grouse prepared that way, as I recall. Hmmmm, no thanks.

awesome stuff---melt in your mouth beef--you almost don't need to even chew it. Beer fed. Guess they are happy for awhile huh ?

As well as being fed beer, did you know that they are also massaged with Sake? A short life, but good while it lasts.

No, we hang it, or cure it. You gut it in the field, (save liver and heart) you skin it at home, and hang it as long as you can, in a cool place, bagged to keep flies (if there are any) and animals off it. During deer season, that's usually the barn or a walk-in. The longer you can let it hang the better. It doesn't get stronger tasting, it gets milder.

But when it comes time to package it, I will just about SHOOT anyone who drags a bone saw through a piece of venison. Drag that marrow through the meat and I'll just feed it to the dogs.

As it's hanging, we cut the meet off the bones in big chunks and wrap it. Some as roasts, some as steaks. Backstrap first, then the rest. The ribs generally get thrown to the dogs, or sent to the butcher to make into burger or sausage. If we cook them, they get cooked for a REALLY long time with a LOT of seasoning and liquid on them. Package of onion soup and whatever else. But we weren't big on venison ribs. There's generally not enough meat to mess with.

But if you want it to be mild you absolutely cut off every bit of "white" that you can find..either when you're boning it or as you're preparing to cook it. We call it "stryfin" or maybe it's "strifyn" but anyway, any bit of white or membrane or fat that's on the meat comes off.

I could cook venison you would love. It's better than ribeye.

Saw the ceremonial process in Kobe. No one would believe the treatment these cattle get.

Oh I remember the price. $150 for a plate at the teppanyaki (probably incorrectly spelt) restaurant we were at. I can well believe the care and attention to detail that goes into their breeding and development.

No, we hang it, or cure it. You gut it in the field, (save liver and heart) you skin it at home, and hang it as long as you can, in a cool place, bagged to keep flies (if there are any) and animals off it. During deer season, that's usually the barn or a walk-in. The longer you can let it hang the better. It doesn't get stronger tasting, it gets milder.

But when it comes time to package it, I will just about SHOOT anyone who drags a bone saw through a piece of venison. Drag that marrow through the meat and I'll just feed it to the dogs.

As it's hanging, we cut the meet off the bones in big chunks and wrap it. Some as roasts, some as steaks. Backstrap first, then the rest. The ribs generally get thrown to the dogs, or sent to the butcher to make into burger or sausage. If we cook them, they get cooked for a REALLY long time with a LOT of seasoning and liquid on them. Package of onion soup and whatever else. But we weren't big on venison ribs. There's generally not enough meat to mess with.

But if you want it to be mild you absolutely cut off every bit of "white" that you can find..either when you're boning it or as you're preparing to cook it. We call it "stryfin" or maybe it's "strifyn" but anyway, any bit of white or membrane or fat that's on the meat comes off.

I could cook venison you would love. It's better than ribeye.

I feel rather short-changed now by the chicken tortellini I just made myself for dinner!

My brother in law got back from deer hunting a few weeks ago in the Michigan U.P., and I'm stuck here in Maine for a month!

Still, the lobster is very cheap here right now. As one door closes, another one opens..

...the brains of a live monkey. The monkey's head was jammed through a hole in the underside of the table with the rest of the monkey in a box under the table. At the signal of the host (a Chinese government official) the silver cover was removed from the table in front of each diner, revealing the top of the head of their personal monkey. A special waiter then visited each monkey's head with something like a samurai sword and, hey presto.

After the shrieking dies away, you eat them warm with a special spoon. If you are a gourmet, you're supposed to eat them before the shrieking dies away.
The most disgusting thing that I've ever heard of. :eusa_hand:

I ate sea urchin eggs once.

And btw....when you're eating sushi, the white stuff is NOT cream or alfredo sauce. Just fyi.

And folks, please be careful pulling stuff out of your animal's asses. A tapeworm bit can get on your finger and into your mouth and regenerate in your gut. Wash your hands up to your elbows for about 30 minutes with as hot and soapy water as you possibly can after pulling ANYTHING out of the butt of a dog or cat.

And strolling, sorry about your buffalo experience. It's usually best when the burger is mixed with beef or pig lard because it's so lean. But I LOVE buffalo.

And venison isn't exotic where I come from. I spent two years without eating any storebought meat except maybe a turkey one year for Thanksgiving. It was venison, goat, goose, quail, duck, chicken...all home grown or hunted. Then beef later, but it takes a little longer for them to get big enough to butcher.

Urchin eggs as food and good pet advice... one never knows what one will find at The USMB!

-Joe

Why, oh why did I read TigerBobs post.................:(

I know, he warned me, but I had no IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

My thoughts exactly... gag, wretch & ewwwww!

Hey, I thought of another one... when I was about 10 I was visiting the farm of a family friend. One day, at noon sharp, Clarence, the 7', 350 lb. farmer who owned the place told me to sit down to lunch. I scooped a couple of pieces of fried meat from the serving tray on to my plate, dipped one in ketchup and popped it in my mouth. They were kind of chewy, but good. Grabbing a second helping, I asked Clarence what it was and between big bites of his own he said two words... "Bulls nuts".

Fortunately I made it to the bathroom before hurling and Mrs. S knew how to make peanut butter sandwiches too.

-Joe

My thoughts exactly... gag, wretch & ewwwww!

Hey, I thought of another one... when I was about 10 I was visiting the farm of a family friend. One day, at noon sharp, Clarence, the 7', 350 lb. farmer who owned the place told me to sit down to lunch. I scooped a couple of pieces of fried meat from the serving tray on to my plate, dipped one in ketchup and popped it in my mouth. They were kind of chewy, but good. Grabbing a second helping, I asked Clarence what it was and between big bites of his own he said two words... "Bulls nuts".

Fortunately I made it to the bathroom before hurling and Mrs. S knew how to make peanut butter sandwiches too.

-Joe

That's Bull! She had to have been Nuts to make you eat those round balls of meat!

Kani Miso. Boil an entire large crab, remove the legs, crack open the main body shell and sip the "soup" out.
Remember the scene in the first "Alien" movie when they did the autopsy on the alien? When they're rooting around all the guts and inards and stuff? That's exactly what it looks like!

You like to milk cow puns for all their worth, eh? :lol:

-Joe

Well said. I'm sure Echo's feeling cowed now - a truly memorable day, so make a note in your dairy.

That's all the puns I cud think of. Maybe you can find anudder.

Kani Miso. Boil an entire large crab, remove the legs, crack open the main body shell and sip the "soup" out.
Remember the scene in the first "Alien" movie when they did the autopsy on the alien? When they're rooting around all the guts and inards and stuff? That's exactly what it looks like!

Ugh!

Or strangest, most disgusting or exotic...................

OK, I got one for ya, and this is no lie. A long time ago my grandmother had a little tin full of chocolate covered, deep fried, grasshoppers. I liked 'em. I had several, but my mother got pissed off at my grandma for giving them to us kids... :lol:

I've also had Western Diamondback Rattlesnake. Tasted like chicken. Frog legs, tasted like chicken. I've had bear, deer, beaver, most all game animals. Best ever was Elk. I'd take that over beef any day, as I would Buffalo also.

Forum List

Back