CDZ What is the value of having a debate only with like minded individuals?

As this is in the CDZ, I presumed the OP was responsible for stating actual cases. Recent televised debates have been with presidential candidates, where the debates were by party. Looks like a baseless thread.

I did state cases. You discerned the post-CNBC commentary suggesting that Rush Limbaugh and his ilk should moderate future Republican debates is one such example. Do you want me to give links for the USMB threads to the same effect?

Good citations, poor analysis. The principal reason for these threads is to minimize deliberate sabotage of the discussion by the usual left wing suspects (who rarely get beyond the Politics forum). If you look into these threads you will notice spirited debate and divergent opinions, in contrast to the love fests masquerading as liberal debates.

People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe.
-- Andy Rooney

You may be right, but I don't think so. I did see a small bit of disagreement; however, even as there was some disagreement, none of it was based on an accurate information. Below I offer an example of what I mean...although in fairness, one need not be conservative or liberal to be aware of and point out the inaccuracies; however, nobody did so.

That nobody did so is the relevant observation as it pertains to the question I posed at the outset of this thread. It stands to reason that were "half" the population of potential contributors to the discussion not excluded, the errors in the application of economic theory may well have been pointed out.

Examples of inaccurate info and assumption that were not refuted:
I took a look at the first three pages of the "Donald Trump" thread's posts. What I found was a mildly substantive discussion about the impact of Mr. Trump's proposed tariff on imported goods, presumably with a focus on those imported from China. As part of that discussion, one member, in post #16, hypothesized that "likely what will happen is we will be forced to pay higher prices for everything we buy."
The Inaccuracy:
The fact of the matter is that a duty imposed on a given class of goods affects the equilibrium price of that class of goods, not "everything."

The discussion on pages 13 and 14 at the linked source show and explain quite clearly that the hypothesis presented in post 16 is not at all consistent with standard economic principles. Furthermore, the discussion on page 14 explains who will bear the brunt of the cost cost the tariff. The member wrote post #16 made no effort to demonstrate empirically whether the producer(s) of the given class of goods (those produced abroad, presumably in China) have a greater or lesser need to sell them to U.S. consumers than do U.S. consumers have need to buy them. Lastly, the member made only the unsupported claim that U.S. made goods are not cheaper, but provided zero in the way of an objective analysis/comparison showing whether they are. It is important to have demonstrated that claim to have been so because at best the point is disputed, and at worst there is credible evidence that the claim simply isn't accurate.
The same member also attempted to identify a flaw in another member's assumptions, this even as the assumption implicit in post #16 is that a significant share of goods offered for sale in the U.S. are imported from China.
The Inaccuracy:
The fact is that a little below 3% of the content we as American consumers buy comes from China. That this is so was shown in a study by the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco. The Bank wrote:

Goods and services from China accounted for only 2.7% of U.S. personal consumption expenditures in 2010, of which less than half reflected the actual costs of Chinese imports. The rest went to U.S. businesses and workers transporting, selling, and marketing goods carrying the “Made in China” label. Although the fraction is higher when the imported content of goods made in the United States is considered, Chinese imports still make up only a small share of total U.S. consumer spending.
One might attempt to refute the info from the Bank by saying, "How can it only be 2.7% when almost everything in Wal-Mart is made in China? The answer is quite simple according to Morgan Housel, "Wal-Mart’s $260 billion in U.S. revenue isn’t exactly reflective of America’s $14.5 trillion economy. Wal-Mart might sell a broad range of knickknacks, many of which are made in China, but the vast majority of what Americans spend their money on is not knickknacks."
In another post, #13, a member stated his impression of the effect of the tariff is that it would lead to "bringing manufacturing back to U.S."
The Inaccuracy:
  • In light of, as shown above, only 2.7% of our content being actually made in China, just where does the member think the manufacturing actually occurs if not in U.S? Where is manufacturing supposed to come back from? 97%+ of it is already in U.S., so how exactly is that effect supposed to come to fruition? Wouldn't the manufacturing need to leave before it can return?
In another post, #17, a member asserts that "democrats cry that wages have to meet those of the 1%." Well, maybe, but I have never seen anyone, Democrat or Republican, call for anything resembling such a boost in the wages of any large segment of the workforce. In the case of that claim, however, another member did express the same thought I had after reading it; that member essentially said, "say what?" Like him/her, I have no idea what post #17's writer was trying to say, but I do know the claim is inaccurate.

So as it pertains to this thread and positing a reason why conservatives want to have a discussion amongst themselves, I don't think anything non-conservatives might have to say is a relevant driver or cause for excluding them. Personally, I think the reason can be found by reading post 31 in that thread. I think that the main reason is to minimize or eliminate the nature and extent of outcry against hateful invective such as "[Mr. Trump] bitch slaps the MSM and scum bag minorities like the bullshit fag Latino groups."

In all debates, let truth be thy aim, not victory, or an unjust interest.
― William Penn

There seems to be a theme these days among conservatives. They want to have televised debates where the only participants -- moderators and debators - are conservatives. On USMB, I see several threads whereby conservatives want to have discussions only with other conservatives.

I have a question. Why?

There's no point to having a discussion where no materially opposing points of view are presented. There's a reason why in school we must use dialectic structure for argumentative essays. If all one hears is validation of one's own point of view, how is one to discover whether it's actually a meritorious one? If in a deb ate, the only people asking questions are people who already see the merit of one's ideas, how is one to address the inquiries and concerns of folks who don't, folks who see flaws in the proposed ideas and want to know how one would overcome them?

I can think of only a few circumstances whereby I only want to hear from folks who agree with me:
  • There is incontrovertible proof that my point of view is correct. Or in other words, there exists a valid deductive argument showing there is only one correct conclusion, and it happens to also be my conclusion.
  • The parties involved are subject to me and only me. Of the seven billion people on the planet, three of them -- myself and my two youngest kids -- fall into this group. :biggrin: In this situation, it doesn't matter if my kids agree with me or not. I always agree with myself. <grins & chuckles>
In any other circumstance, I'm more than happy to hear solid arguments that oppose my view. I'm not convinced of my infallibility, so why not? Perhaps that's it. Maybe conservatives are so certain they are a right that they just don't need to challenge their own views?

The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum....
― Noam Chomsky, The Common Good
Maybe a better question here is" why do you have a problem with it?" If free people want to have a discussion with other, like minded people, why is that so wrong? Is it because you are excluded? Is it because you feel discriminated against? Or maybe you feel threatened? Maybe it's because you feel it is "unfair" and exclutionary. I don't know, but I a

I don't recall having said I do have a problem with it. Since when does one's asking for an explanation for an observed behavior constitute their also having a problem with that behavior?

Do you want my answers to the questions you asked, or did you present them rhetorically?

― William Penn

There seems to be a theme these days among conservatives. They want to have televised debates where the only participants -- moderators and debators - are conservatives. On USMB, I see several threads whereby conservatives want to have discussions only with other conservatives.

I have a question. Why?

There's no point to having a discussion where no materially opposing points of view are presented. There's a reason why in school we must use dialectic structure for argumentative essays. If all one hears is validation of one's own point of view, how is one to discover whether it's actually a meritorious one? If in a deb ate, the only people asking questions are people who already see the merit of one's ideas, how is one to address the inquiries and concerns of folks who don't, folks who see flaws in the proposed ideas and want to know how one would overcome them?

I can think of only a few circumstances whereby I only want to hear from folks who agree with me:
  • There is incontrovertible proof that my point of view is correct. Or in other words, there exists a valid deductive argument showing there is only one correct conclusion, and it happens to also be my conclusion.
  • The parties involved are subject to me and only me. Of the seven billion people on the planet, three of them -- myself and my two youngest kids -- fall into this group. :biggrin: In this situation, it doesn't matter if my kids agree with me or not. I always agree with myself. <grins & chuckles>
In any other circumstance, I'm more than happy to hear solid arguments that oppose my view. I'm not convinced of my infallibility, so why not? Perhaps that's it. Maybe conservatives are so certain they are a right that they just don't need to challenge their own views?

The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum....
Maybe a better question here is" why do you have a problem with it?" If free people want to have a discussion with other, like minded people, why is that so wrong? Is it because you are excluded? Is it because you feel discriminated against? Or maybe you feel threatened? Maybe it's because you feel it is "unfair" and exclutionary. I don't know, but I a

I don't recall having said I do have a problem with it. Since when does one's asking for an explanation for an observed behavior constitute their also having a problem with that behavior?

Do you want my answers to the questions you asked, or did you present them rhetorically?
Merely creating this thread to whine about being excluded implies that you have a problem with it, if that is not your motive, then why even bother? Why not go ask them, they may accually have the reason. All the rest of us can do is postulate.

If you want to answer then answer, if not, then don't. Really doesn't matter to me. I would be curious to see said answers, but that is where it would end, curiosity.

Internet forums that discuss politics attract many posters who have strong opinions, but they are not well informed. When their opinions are challenged with facts and logical reasoning, they do not reconsider their opinions; they become abusive.

Generally speaking I am liberal on economic and environmental issues, and conservative on social issues. As a result, I have been flamed by liberals and conservatives, not on this internet forums, but on others.

Conservatives often call me a Marxist. Liberals often call me a racist.

Those with strong opinions but weak minds do not want their opinions to be challenged. They want confirmation of their beliefs. This is true for liberals and conservatives who have closed and narrow minds. Closed and narrow minds exist on each end of the political spectrum.

A glaring inconsistency among many liberals is to claim to desire a conversation on race, and then to try to suppress opinions on race that they disagree with.

I have a question. Why?
The debates between people running for the GOP nomination are intended to help GOP voters decide who they want to vote for in the primary process.
That is, the debates are among like minded people for a like minded audience.
:dunno:

I have a question. Why?
The debates between people running for the GOP nomination are intended to help GOP voters decide who they want to vote for in the primary process.

That assumes only Republicans would vote for one of these disparate candidates. It's possible a reasoned, open discussion on USMB might draw in some non-Republicans as well.

So the OP asks us a question but when we give him the answer, he says "no, you are wrong".

Not in this thread.

Again, a lefty only seeing what he or she or it wants to see, is nothing new.

You mean like this post?

What are you talking about? Do YOU know?

Yes.
Apparently not.

I'll be happy to explain anything you're not clear on. Feel free to ask.

― William Penn

I have a question. Why?

Merely creating this thread to whine about being excluded implies that you have a problem with it, if that is not your motive, then why even bother? Why not go ask them, they may accually have the reason. All the rest of us can do is postulate.

If you want to answer then answer, if not, then don't. Really doesn't matter to me. I would be curious to see said answers, but that is where it would end, curiosity.
I have a question. Why?

I think you are correct on that claim. I think too, however, that another purpose of those debates is to allow non-GOP voters the opportunity to see and thus evaluate the quality and content of the positions advocated by the GOP candidates. Indeed, that purpose is likely equal in importance to the one you noted because the GOP like the Democrats, need to garner votes from uncommitted voters.

With that as a need, and being an uncommitted voter myself, I watched the CNBC debate expecting, as I always do, to hear responses that issued from the speakers having prepared for debating and having comprehensively thought through their positions on the major matters of the day. I also wanted to see how effective the speakers were at thinking on their feet and turning what may superficially not seem to be an opportunity into an opportunity.

In both my personal and professional experience, being very good at doing those two things are among the marks of fine leaders. This early in a political race, the main thing I need to be convinced of is strong leadership and acumen as potential policy makers. Convinced of those two qualities, I'm willing next to consider whether an individual propones specific policies that agree with my own ideas, but I don't need to know that this early in the race. What's the point of "putting the cart before the horse?" None. After all, though many of the people running are public figures to one degree or another, the fact is that I don't really know all that much about most of them.

FWIW, and for example, on economic matters, I don't even have to agree with a policy maker's intended approach. For many of the specifics pertaining to economic choices, the reality is that a lot of the potential directions haven't been tried before. Thus, if the idea "holds water" given the six-classes-worth of college economics I've taken, I'm willing at least to give the idea a shot, but only if it's clear to me that the person proposing the idea has convinced me that s/he is at least well trained on economics. Seeing as the people of whom we write here are asking you, me, and every other voter to elect them to be the leader of the U.S. and effectively the world, I don't think that's too much to ask of them.

In contrast, a "dyed in the wool" conservative may have already in his/her mind that they will vote for a GOP candidate. I can't tell them by what criteria they should decide, but I can understand that they may have a set that differs from mine and that their expectations at this point in the race differ from mine. Having that awareness doesn't, however, absolve them, the conservative members of this forum whom I queried with my OP, from explaining why they want the discussion -- the debates or one on USMB -- to be constrained to only other conservatives.

When I posed the question, I fully expected to quickly get a reply along the lines of "we want to clarify what it is we think and agree on what be the key factors militating for or against any given candidate." The answers didn't have to even be along those lines; anything that presented the reason(s) such that they spoke affirmatively to what conservatives hope to achieve by having a "closed" discussion, rather than in terms of their beefs with non-conservatives, or anyone else, would also be just fine, and likely make sense to the extent no further discourse be needed.

In fairness, a few (presumably) conservative members posted comments of the sort I expected/sought, and I clicked "Thank You" on those posts. Their replies were clear, neutral, undefensive and easily make sense. Moreover, they directly answered the question I asked. I haven't replied to them because, well, the comments just make sense, are credible and justifiable. Curiously, the person who created the, as I'm referring to it, "Donald Trump for conservatives only" thread, the one person who could authoritatively attest to why s/he wanted to limit the discussion to only conservatives, didn't provide any such reply, instead framing the reasons in terms of or as:
  • Because liberals "have several very irritating habits or intentional strategies for deception" that they use " to prevent them from actually answering questions or to beat their opponent down through various tedious diversion techniques."
  • Because "liberals cannot debate policy or ideas, they only talk about emotions."
  • Because liberals lie.
  • Because "no Progressive will ever ever EVER change their mind."
The explanations ended with an assertion that the "only time" many [conservatives] engage liberals in debate/discussion is when the conservative is just bored.

Well, if those are his/her reasons, well, they are. I was surprised to read those are the reasons, and asked for clarification. I didn't get any. The writer asserts that "if I knew the facts" I would not have asked my OP question. Well, the fact is I may not know them, which is why I asked to begin with.

So the OP asks us a question but when we give him the answer, he says "no, you are wrong".

Not in this thread.

Again, a lefty only seeing what he or she or it wants to see, is nothing new.

You mean like this post?

Yes.
Apparently not.

Me: "Again, a lefty only seeing what he or she or it wants to see, is nothing new."
You: "You mean like this post"

Explain that mess.

^That's the second time you've posted that, but I've read the entire thread and I can't seem to find it. Which post is it in?

So the OP asks us a question but when we give him the answer, he says "no, you are wrong". Only a liberal can do that kind of thing,

Please show me where I did that....

I reference this entire thread.
But specifically, I myself answered your question and you told me I was wrong.

^That's the second time you've posted that, but I've read the entire thread and I can't seem to find it. Which post is it in?

That's the exact same question I have. I forget some things I write, but I haven't forgotten what I wrote for this thread.

Not in this thread.

You mean like this post?

Yes.
Apparently not.

Me: "Again, a lefty only seeing what he or she or it wants to see, is nothing new."

Explain that mess.

???? Find my ID in the cited string of discussion above....it's not there.

Not in this thread.

Yes.
Apparently not.

Explain that mess.

The lack of response is in fact a response, namely :lalala:

Not in this thread.

Yes.
Apparently not.

Explain that mess.

Can you not read? I wasn't addressing you.

Last edited:

Not in this thread.

Explain that mess.

The lack of response is in fact a response, namely :lalala:

Unlike you, I have a life. I cannot be on this board 24/7. Why won't you answer the question I asked?

Forum List

Back