What is the proper method of dealing with crowd control ...

Why do so many Citizens now fear the Police? This is a very important question many better start asking themselves. We're not supposed to fear the civil servants who work for us. So what happened? Think about that for a bit. Take care.

Give me a break, are you telling me you don't understand the concept of image and politically correct response in an attempt to diffuse the situation and personally distance onesself? :eusa_eh:

No, many people here don't "get" that.
Count me in as one that doesn't. You don't apologize if you think your actions were warranted.

She didn't do anything. So, according to the logic you describe she was apologizing for no reason.

Why do so many Citizens now fear the Police? This is a very important question many better start asking themselves. We're not supposed to fear the civil servants who work for us. So what happened? Think about that for a bit. Take care.

Then you don't understand (or don't want to understand) the possibility of this being a tactic used by protesters to discredit the police and place themselves in a positive light.
The third option is you're using this as supportive propaganda. :dunno:

Let the People protest in peace. Why do the Police always need to be in everyone's face during these protests? These local Governments should order them to back off and get the hell out of the way. They are only instigating violence at this point. Can't the State stay out of our business even for just a day or two? Why do they have to harass the People so much. Can't the People have anything anymore?

It's getting to the point where you feel the Police don't help the People nearly as much as they harass the People. Personally i've had very few Police ever help me in my life. But i have had many Police harass me in my life. And i think many people on this Board have the same story. They seem to always be there to harass you but not there often enough to help you. They're losing the People at this point. The People are turning on them. And they themselves are to blame. Just leave the People alone and be decent. Is that really too much to ask?
When I was a kid, cops harassed me all the time..... because I broke the law. Since I developed an aversion to being beat with a baton in my early twenties, I've not given the police any reason to harass me. Guess what! No more batons!
If the police tell you to move, MOVE! If you refuse a direct order, don't you fucking DARE call the consequences "harassment".

Sorry,don't like being The Good German. They work for us. It's not the other way around. 'TO PROTECT AND SERVE.' Somewhere along the line they forgot that. So you go ahead and be The Good German but i never will. Fuck em.

To protect and serve ALL OF US!!!! When the exercise of your rights violates mine, My rights trump yours.

When I was a kid, cops harassed me all the time..... because I broke the law. Since I developed an aversion to being beat with a baton in my early twenties, I've not given the police any reason to harass me. Guess what! No more batons!
If the police tell you to move, MOVE! If you refuse a direct order, don't you fucking DARE call the consequences "harassment".

Sorry,don't like being The Good German. They work for us. It's not the other way around. 'TO PROTECT AND SERVE.' Somewhere along the line they forgot that. So you go ahead and be The Good German but i never will. Fuck em.

To protect and serve ALL OF US!!!! When the exercise of your rights violates mine, My rights trump yours.

not always... it depends.

Move the Police far away from the protests. Them showing up in their 'Call of Duty' Military outfits only increases the chances for violence. The Police seem to be instigating most of the violence these days. Just keep them away and allow the People to protest in peace. Less Police presence will eliminate most of the violence.

Move the police away from the protests?

In other words, do not allow the police to enforce the law?

Then who is going to enforce the law?

Who is going to clear the thoroughfares so that emergency vehicles can get through? Who is going to unblock public pathways so that they are still wheelchair accessible? Who is going to clean the areas so that infectious diseases and parasites aren't spread? ...

Valid questions. Especially when protests become ongoing, 24/7, multiple week events...

A by and large adhered to code of conduct though, where the protesters are policing themselves and emergency traffic is not hindered beyond reason for a large public event - I say leave them (the protesters) alone. If they have something to say, nothing will shut them up... if not, the media will quickly get bored. Let political evolution run its course.

Count me in as one that doesn't. You don't apologize if you think your actions were warranted.

She didn't do anything. So, according to the logic you describe she was apologizing for no reason.
She gave the cops the authority to use pepper spray.

Maybe you believe the people in charge are blameless for the actions of their underlings?

I don't think she told the cops to use it in this incident. I think the cops have the broad authority to use it as they deem necessary in each situation. She may have given them the
broad authority to use it as they deem necessary, but this is not the same as telling them to use it in this situation.

No, I don't think they are blameless. But that would suppose that they did something wrong to begin with.

IMO, the cops should have dismantled and destroyed any tents that weren't taken down (and according to the article I linked, many of them were). And ignored the people staging the sit-in to protest the tents being taken down. IF and WHEN the protestors posed a threat, they could and should then arrest them.

The evidence is that people sitting on the ground are not a threat.

leo-strut-uc-davis-pepper-spray1.jpg

This looks like a fair cop to me. :thup:

She gave the cops the authority to use pepper spray.

Maybe you believe the people in charge are blameless for the actions of their underlings?

I don't think she told the cops to use it in this incident. I think the cops have the broad authority to use it as they deem necessary in each situation. She may have given them the
broad authority to use it as they deem necessary, but this is not the same as telling them to use it in this situation.

No, I don't think they are blameless. But that would suppose that they did something wrong to begin with.
I think they did something wrong. And I think her chain of command is fucked. So yes, she is not blameless.

I'm the messenger so it's okay to shoot me........... :eusa_eh:
So you're telling me you have no concept of what the human motivational factors are. They can be boiled down to two categories, ideology and self interest. Self interest can also be exhibited in the so called selflessness of acts since such acts generally provide the giver with a sense of well being.
It's basic psychology. :dunno:

In that case, can any selfless act be truly devoid of self-interest?
In reality, when all motivation is factors are taken into account, no. It's the human condition. Understanding that is not being cynical, it's simply being objective.

I agree. It's the human condition and is personally/culturally a prescriptive thing.

IMO, the cops should have dismantled and destroyed any tents that weren't taken down (and according to the article I linked, many of them were). And ignored the people staging the sit-in to protest the tents being taken down. IF and WHEN the protestors posed a threat, they could and should then arrest them.

Non-threatening law-breakers should be given a pass by the police?

Nice to know, but I don't think it works that way.

Non-threatening law-breakers should be given a pass by the police?

Nice to know, but I don't think it works that way.
No, they shouldn't be given a pass. But they also should not be attacked. Arrested, fine. Pepper sprayed, no.

And I'm curious to know what law they broke....I have no idea if the people sitting on the ground were the people that didn't remove their tents. It sounds otherwise, at this point.

I rarely give the cops a second thought :eusa_think: but I'm an American Mutt who can pass for a 50 something white dude when I need to... and I don't speed when I drive.

Never forget the Police work for us. I don't understand why so many have forgotten this. We don't need to fear them or bow to them. More people just need to start standing up. And always always have your own recording equipment handy. You'll likely need it. They wont hesitate to file a false police report. Don't let it be your word against their's. Because you'll lose that every time. Have your own recorded proof.

They work for all of us, not just a bunch of punks that are disrupting the lifes of thousands of people that DO follow the rules.

Forum List

Back