What is the proper method of dealing with crowd control ...

IMO, the cops should have dismantled and destroyed any tents that weren't taken down (and according to the article I linked, many of them were). And ignored the people staging the sit-in to protest the tents being taken down. IF and WHEN the protestors posed a threat, they could and should then arrest them.

The evidence is that people sitting on the ground are not a threat.

Non-threatening law-breakers should be given a pass by the police?

Nice to know, but I don't think it works that way.
No, they shouldn't be given a pass. But they also should not be attacked. Arrested, fine. Pepper sprayed, no.

And I'm curious to know what law they broke....I have no idea if the people sitting on the ground were the people that didn't remove their tents. It sounds otherwise, at this point.

I guess you missed the follow up reports and video that shows the protesters had encircled the officers and wouldn't allow them to leave until those arrested were released, that's called interfering with a police officer in the performance of his/her duties. Not to mention the officers warned the protesters they would use pepper spray if they did not disperse and allow the officers to do their job. :dunno:

He's been like this since his sleep schedule got disrupted. This makes me a sad panda, because up until very recently, he bought a lot of humor and wit to this board. I'm hoping the change is temporary.

I'm the messenger so it's okay to shoot me........... :eusa_eh:
So you're telling me you have no concept of what the human motivational factors are. They can be boiled down to two categories, ideology and self interest. Self interest can also be exhibited in the so called selflessness of acts since such acts generally provide the giver with a sense of well being.
It's basic psychology. :dunno:

In that case, can any selfless act be truly devoid of self-interest?

Does the degree of personal self-interest actually matter?

When a baby is born it usually needs to be jarred into breathing and so even that move is not truly instinctive. It is a common prevailing view in psychology that the only human instinct is to suck, that all else is learned behavior, and that culturally prescriptive identity modeling is the human path.

I'm the messenger so it's okay to shoot me........... :eusa_eh:
So you're telling me you have no concept of what the human motivational factors are. They can be boiled down to two categories, ideology and self interest. Self interest can also be exhibited in the so called selflessness of acts since such acts generally provide the giver with a sense of well being.
It's basic psychology. :dunno:

When a baby is born it usually needs to be jarred into breathing and so even that move is not truly instinctive. It is a common prevailing view in psychology that the only human instinct is to suck, that all else is learned behavior, and that culturally prescriptive identity modeling is the human path.

Hmmm...so is self-interest culturally prescriptive in our society?
It seems a bit sad really.

All of our societies and not just 'our' society. It is the human condition.

All of our societies and not just 'our' society. It is the human condition.

Mind you, if self-interest is manifested in selfless acts then I suppose that isn't a bad end result...

IMO, the cops should have dismantled and destroyed any tents that weren't taken down (and according to the article I linked, many of them were). And ignored the people staging the sit-in to protest the tents being taken down. IF and WHEN the protestors posed a threat, they could and should then arrest them.

Were they law-breakers or rule-breakers?

Not necessarily, but discretion should surely be used and an appropriate response employed.

Sorry,don't like being The Good German. They work for us. It's not the other way around. 'TO PROTECT AND SERVE.' Somewhere along the line they forgot that. So you go ahead and be The Good German but i never will. Fuck em.

To protect and serve ALL OF US!!!! When the exercise of your rights violates mine, My rights trump yours.

not always... it depends.

Granted not always, but when the exercise of your right to protest in violation of a police order to disperse gets in the way of my right to earn a living. I would expect the police to protect my rights over yours.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfPwR00HXM0]Clips from the Fog of War[/ame]

The "Fog of War" by Robert S. McNamara, Secretary of Defense in the Kennedy and Johnson Administrations is a good read or watch.

The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara (2003)

The Kent State Massacre follows such methods.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Vnpj5Z0xk]Kent State Massacre Order to Shoot May 4 1970[/ame]

Pepper Spray? I'm fine with it if they used it in serious and necessary situations as defined after the event.

What is the proper method of dealing with people who have repeatedly disobeyed lawful orders to disperse?

Do you think the OWS are intentionally pushing police to the point where the only way the police can enforce the law is to do things which make for "good" anti-cop TV?

Is physically dragging lawbreakers away more appropriate than pepper spray? Some in-the-know have said no, that physically carrying people away comes with its own set of risks and liabilities.

Water hose?

Flame Thrower? ;)

Just kidding!

Immie

Governments have a responsibility to uphold the law.

Don't you agree with that?

If the protestors were protesting legally, there would not be a problem. When they are violating the law, there is a problem.

There are many many many legal public venues (and times) for protest. These protestors are making their point and garnering the attention they crave BY breaking the law and you want the government to abdicate its responsibility to the rest of its citizens by letting the law breaking go on.

I just don't understand.

At all.

Since when did peaceful protests become illegal?

Immie

If the protestors were protesting legally, there would not be a problem. When they are violating the law, there is a problem.

There are many many many legal public venues (and times) for protest. These protestors are making their point and garnering the attention they crave BY breaking the law and you want the government to abdicate its responsibility to the rest of its citizens by letting the law breaking go on.

I just don't understand.

At all.

Immie

When you're peacefully violating health codes, taking over property which is not your own, obstructing public access ways, etc. Little things like that. Violence is not required for it be illegal.

I just don't understand.

At all.

Immie

Peaceful protests, never. Other issues that may be associated with those protests....... it depends on local laws and whether they're being violated or not. :dunno:

Never forget the Police work for us. I don't understand why so many have forgotten this. We don't need to fear them or bow to them. More people just need to start standing up. And always always have your own recording equipment handy. You'll likely need it. They wont hesitate to file a false police report. Don't let it be your word against their's. Because you'll lose that every time. Have your own recorded proof.

that is right.. the police work for us.

If idiots are having a hissy fit...and preventing ME from doing what i want...or from where i want to go... it is he polices job to move the illegal activity.

If I am not allowed to camp in the city becasue it is against the law... neither are "protesters" If MY tent would be pulled down... THEIR tents should be pulled down. That is the polices job..and that is them working for me.

No, they shouldn't be given a pass. But they also should not be attacked. Arrested, fine. Pepper sprayed, no.

And I'm curious to know what law they broke....I have no idea if the people sitting on the ground were the people that didn't remove their tents. It sounds otherwise, at this point.

I guess you missed the follow up reports and video that shows the protesters had encircled the officers and wouldn't allow them to leave until those arrested were released, that's called interfering with a police officer in the performance of his/her duties. Not to mention the officers warned the protesters they would use pepper spray if they did not disperse and allow the officers to do their job. :dunno:
Do you have a link to that video?

Never forget the Police work for us. I don't understand why so many have forgotten this. We don't need to fear them or bow to them. More people just need to start standing up. And always always have your own recording equipment handy. You'll likely need it. They wont hesitate to file a false police report. Don't let it be your word against their's. Because you'll lose that every time. Have your own recorded proof.

that is right.. the police work for us.

If idiots are having a hissy fit...and preventing ME from doing what i want...or from where i want to go... it is he polices job to move the illegal activity.

If I am not allowed to camp in the city because it is against the law... neither are "protesters" If MY tent would be pulled down... THEIR tents should be pulled down. That is the polices job..and that is them working for me.

I'm interested in seeing the final outcome if litigation regarding individual rights and group rights are challenged by these groups.

Occupy_Wall_Street.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-0lAhnoDlU]Aerosmith - Eat The Rich[/ame]

Forum List

Back