What is religion?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by wihosa, Apr 8, 2008.

1. wihosa

wihosa VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Answer: Religion is the myth you decide to believe.

My 11 year old son is studying Greek mythology in school. It is interesting that since no one still believes in the Greek gods we have no problem in calling the Ancient Greek 'religion' exactly what it is; myth.

2. frazzledgear

frazzledgear Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +541
    Well gee -that must mean that 95% of the world's population is suffering from a mass delusion and only you 5% are "SOOO smart", right? Ever read The Case for a Creator: A Journalist Investigates Scientific Evidence That Points Toward God ? The author was an agnostic and decided to do this to prove to his recently turned religious wife that what she believed was nothing but "mythology". It is about the SCIENCE and is largely interviews with some of the most highly credentialed and well known scientists in their various unrelated fields of science by a very skeptical author. It isn't about a particular religious doctrine or religious beliefs at all.

Want to come back and tell me all about "mythology" after that when the reason mythology is mythology is because there is zero evidence of any kind to back ANY of it up -then we'll talk.

3. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Actually the Greek government has been hounding people in Greece who still believe in the old Gods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellinais

It has some external links.

The interesting thing is when a religion becomes more than a cult - remember Christians were cultists in ancient Rome - and especially when it becomes a state religion (which of course doesn't apply in the US) - it immediately begins wiping out whatever was believed before it assumed sufficient proportions to be influential.

And that's not just for Christianity, it applies to other religions as well. Part of the process is to denounce the old religion(s) as mythologies. But there's no evidence required for either the old or the new religions, just the usual belief systems that move from the old to the new.

4. Taomon

Taomon Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Actually no, mythology is the body of myths (sacred stories) of a particular culture, or of humankind as a whole; the study and interpretation of such myths.

Christianity is mythology, Buddhism is mythology, Islam is mythology...and religion you can name is a mythology.

Read the "Power of Myth," which is a wonderful interview with Joseph Campbell. That may bring some clarity to you.

5. Taomon

Taomon Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I would even extrapolate that certain denominations of Christians, Jews and Muslims are cults. Definitely the Evangelical movement is very much a cult.

6. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,045

Good Morning Whiosa,

I think that I don't know enough to know for certain whether religions of today's time are myths or not.

I know that I believe what I believe, and have Faith that it is truth....I don't know why I believe what I believe, I just know that I do....

And I consider myself a pretty sensical person, analyze EVERYTHING up and down, and inside out before i usually make any kind of decision on anything and even then, I will reserve the right to change my mind if further information comes forward that requires such.... :)

But I believe in God, the Father, the Almighty, Creator of the Heavens and the Earth and all that is SEEN and UNSEEN...and in His only begotten Son.... ;)

I don't have an organized religion that I am a member of...was excommunicated for my divorce and remarriage when I was a kid...you would think that I would have just "spit on" the Church and run away from my "beliefs" at that time....and I did for a bit, but deep down inside, I believed what I believed! Common sense, says I shouldn't, and sometimes even Science at first glance says that I shouldn't...but I do?

So, even if someday, beyond my lifespan, someone will prove that my religion was also a myth....it doesn't matter to me! I trust my gut instincts, they have served me well over the decades and my gut tells me, that there IS "something more", after the death of our bodies!

Care

7. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Fair point, I suppose it depends on numbers and level of acceptance.

8. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
  9. Taomon

Taomon Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    You are Catholic? My ex-wife is Catholic. She doesn't really follow that faith and when we were married, I was a Protestant. We chose to have a JP marry us. For the entire marriage her aunts kept reminding us that our marriage was not recognized in the eyes of God.

These types of things hurt people more than they help. I feel for you on that aspect. But you have one or more children and a new person in your life, and one cannot ask for more than that out of life. Love is what it is all about after all, and that is what God wants for us.

In fact, by living a life of love, are we not carrying out a ministry for God?

10. Taomon

Taomon Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    No, I would base it on the aspect of fundamentalism. Jim Jones had a large sect, as do the Freemasons, and Hasidism.