What is needed to save America?

aka people that think and vote exactly like you.

Say what you will, but whether you want to admit it or not, you know that I'm right.

I understand, though. The truth sure do sting.

Ah well. I'll leave you all to chase the ball around.

Enjoy the rest of your morning.

I am more concerned about the dems using the justice system to attack political opponents,
Trump said during the 2016 debate with HRC that he was going to tell his AG to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate her.

Here is the video.

And you voted for this piece of shit despite his doing exactly what you NOW say you're concerned about.

What is needed to save America.

• First and foremost, an engaged informed electorate.
After that....we need to pass constitutional amendments to give the document a voice where it is currently silent. Starting with:
  • Line item veto for the President. She/he should be able to veto specific items without having to sign the entire bill into law. Forty-four states have a line item veto for their governor. The President should have one too.
  • Bills that start in one chamber have to get an up or down vote in the other chamber. The Speaker or the Majority Leader cannot block votes from happening.
  • Codify in the document the exact rules of the houses of congress when voting majorities are concerned. No more changing the rules with each new congress. If it takes 60 votes to end a filibuster; put it in the Constitution. If it takes 58 votes, put THAT in the constitution.
  • Have a filibuster actually mean that no other business gets considered by the Senate. They don't move on to something else.
  • Set the number of justices at nine.
  • While I'd prefer an amendment to ban the death penalty, that isn't likely to happen. Recognizing that, the death penalty should be swift, lethal, and a true deterrent. To that end...Mandate each state set up a court system to address only capital cases. No more decades on death row. Once a sentence is handed down, a 90 day clock starts. The court can subpoena everyone and anyone involved in the case from the standpoint of trying to find a reason to not put the guy to death. Basically a red team. If the State refuses to hand over evidence, testify in front of the court, etc... the sentence is commuted to life in prison; no parole. NEXT!

There are lots of opinions on this, and not everybody is right. Even your opinion might be wrong. Sometimes courage is needed to save a country.

---Because things have gotten so far off track in this country, we need a leader who is willing to break some rules if that's what it takes to set things right---

Continue to vote Republicans out of office, for starters.

I'll take a hard pass on the desire for an Authoritarian leader.

Because things have gotten so far off track in this country
Wrong.

The country is on the right track – the problem is the country is often side-tracked by Republican reactionary obstructionism, by Republicans’ war on democracy and our democratic institutions, and by Republicans’ attacks on citizens rights and protected liberties.

Line item veto for the President.
Disagree.

The last thing we need is to make even more imperial and autocratic the aberration that is the Imperial Presidency.

Signing statements and EOs are bad enough – a line-item veto would give a president unwarranted and dangerous unilateral powers.

The president represents the will of the states, not the people; Congress represents the will of the people immune from attack by the executive.

A line-item veto would also violate separation of powers doctrine, giving the executive legislative authority the sole purview of Congress.

Last, it was the intent of the Framers that the office of president be an insignificant and passive branch of the Federal government, to indeed administer the laws only – not make or change laws.

Disagree.

The last thing we need is to make even more imperial and autocratic the aberration that is the Imperial Presidency.

Signing statements and EOs are bad enough – a line-item veto would give a president unwarranted and dangerous unilateral powers.

The president represents the will of the states, not the people; Congress represents the will of the people immune from attack by the executive.

A line-item veto would also violate separation of powers doctrine, giving the executive legislative authority the sole purview of Congress.

Last, it was the intent of the Framers that the office of president be an insignificant and passive branch of the Federal government, to indeed administer the laws only – not make or change laws.
I don’t find much fault with what you’re stating.

What I would say though is this.

The LIV allows for the “will of the people” to shine through more loudly than ever with an over-ride of the veto.

The LIV can be--repeat CAN BE--used to eliminate pork by the truckload. Currently what happens is that a bill is sent to the President and there is 52% of the things they want and 48% of the things that had to be attached to the bill to get the 52%. While it is imperfect, the LIV would allow the President to cut some extravagance out of these bills.

I think the LIV would change the politics a bit. Instead of a sinister voice coming over a commercial saying “President _____ vetoed a defense bill” it would have to say (if it’s truthful) that the veto was for a line item in the bill.

The LIV would allow for (it may not deliver) a truly independent executive. As we’re seeing with some party disintegration, the squad on the left and the freedom caucus on the right..sometimes a poison pill can come from the President’s own party.

Just some of the reasons why I think it should be implemented.

I bet you liberals would like to turn all the old and wise conservatives into soylent green.

What does that have to do with you? You are neither wise nor a conservative.

But no, you can have the place, give us about 5.5 years and it is all yours!

The OP has another thread where he is advocating giving police in texas the power to ask the immigration status of anyone for any reason.

View attachment 860225
Asking for a state-issued ID card to verify identity and status is a derivative of “show me your papers” happens to all of us almost daily. Even Democrats and liberals do it.

There are lots of opinions on this, and not everybody is right. Even your opinion might be wrong. Sometimes courage is needed to save a country.

---Because things have gotten so far off track in this country, we need a leader who is willing to break some rules if that's what it takes to set things right---

Trump.

Greg

Asking for a state-issued ID card to verify identity and status is a derivative of “show me your papers” happens to all of us almost daily. Even Democrats and liberals do it.
Doesn't happen to me.

Then again I don't look the slightest bit Jewish.

I mean Hispanic, sorry.

Forum List

Back