What is it about the anti-gun crowd?

Whenever people like Olberman say shit like 'How someone this disturbed got... the right to have [a gun] concealed', I always wonder one thing: Do these idiots really think criminals didn't conceal their weapons before the law changed?

I always thought that criminals didn't obey the law in the first place- I mean, isn't that what makes them criminals?

Laws aren't meant to prevent all crime; they are meant to prevent some crime. The right of individuals to bear arms is settled law now; that doesn't mean that reasonable restrictions can't be considered.

Some laws, like laws against not having your gun visible, are impossible to enforce meaningfully in the first place and are effective only in controlling those law-abiding persons we're not worried about.

Just remember that the law can be wrong.

Think: slavery

Think: killing mormons

Whenever people appeal to the Law, I fear the day Virginia returns to the 20's or the law says we must turn in the Jews again.

Men are bound to the Law only insomuch as the Law is good and right and just.

It is to what is right and just, not to the Law, that men are bound.

If you don't think you're bound to the Law, try breaking one.

That's like saying you're bound to a rapist's will because he might shoot you if you refuse.

Bound to and subject[ed] to are not the same thing.

But I'm not surprised the idea of principles and morals is lost on you. It's not the first time you've shown yourself to be a Statist.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ4A2MflNL8[/ame]

Maybe you could do me the courtesy of explaining precisely what you mean when you say that men are not bound to the Law.

If you don't think you're bound to the Law, try breaking one.

That's like saying you're bound to a rapist's will because he might shoot you if you refuse.

But I'm not surprised the idea of principles and morals is lost on you. It's not the first time you've shown yourself to be a Statist.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ4A2MflNL8[/ame]

Maybe you could do me the courtesy of explaining precisely what you mean when you say that men are not bound to the Law.
Would you turn in Anne Frank or your mother if the Law said you must?

Really? The law is the end of it?

Are you serious?

You really want to make that argument?

I believe it to be wrong, but I also believe there are certain, very limited instances when it is ok. Abortion on demand? I don't think that should be. But for now it is... I will respect the law.

Whenever people appeal to the Law, I fear the day Virginia returns to the 20's or the law says we must turn in the Jews again.

Think abortion. It was once against the LAW to have an abortion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ4A2MflNL8

Let me repeat the request:

The only people I see cling to any 'Wild West' mythology is the anti-gun crowd.

People, like you, who don't know jack shit about guns, the Old West (Which wasn't as wild as Hollywood would have you believe), or much of anything else.

Do you know why we have a standing military? Do you know why people learn Aikido and Krav Maga? Do you know the most common reason for having a gun in the home?

Because people who rape and murder other people will always have weapons. And they love idiots like you who don't believe in being able to defend yourself or your children.

Several of my friends were killed by guns.

That's all I need to know.

Jack.
I would be interested in knowing how "several" of your friends have been killed by guns. In remote circumstances someone may know one who has died by a gun. Without being an ass I am curious how you can know SEVERAL that have died by guns. What were they doing when they died?

Quick and dirty of it?

One was out with a "friend" after he won a football pool. Looks like the "friend" tried to rob him.

Another, his brother got into an altercation with a couple of guys in a car. The brother was standing on the sidewalk. The guys in the car rolled down the window and produced a gun. The guy knocked his brother out of the way and took the bullet.

There are a couple of others..but I don't know the details.

I believe it to be wrong, but I also believe there are certain, very limited instances when it is ok. Abortion on demand? I don't think that should be. But for now it is... I will respect the law.

It was once against the LAW to aid an escaped slave in his attempts to avoid recapture

Would you turn in an escaped slave?

Given the twisted logic die-hard gun supporters use, guns are the solution for the problems they cause. There is no way to argue with that kind of circular reasoning. It can be amusing to read the many different ways people can find to avoid the obvious solution.

Is that a yes or a no?

Would you turn your daughter into a corrupt police force which hired only serial rapists and murderers if the Law said everyone with her hair colour was to be turned in for elimination?

Answer the question: are you bound to the Law? Would you turn your 3-year-old child in to be raped and killed for having the wrong hair colour?

Or are you bound to something other than the Law?

Given the twisted logic die-hard gun supporters use, guns are the solution for the problems they cause. There is no way to argue with that kind of circular reasoning. It can be amusing to read the many different ways people can find to avoid the obvious solution.
The problem existed long before guns.

They just used bows and arrows. Sticks and rocks before that.

The only people I see cling to any 'Wild West' mythology is the anti-gun crowd.

People, like you, who don't know jack shit about guns, the Old West (Which wasn't as wild as Hollywood would have you believe), or much of anything else.

Do you know why we have a standing military? Do you know why people learn Aikido and Krav Maga? Do you know the most common reason for having a gun in the home?

Because people who rape and murder other people will always have weapons. And they love idiots like you who don't believe in being able to defend yourself or your children.

Several of my friends were killed by guns.

That's all I need to know.

Jack.

No, they were killed by killers.

What if I killed them with a letter opener? Should those be banned? What about piano wire? What if I'd bashed their brains in with rocks- should we ban the planet?

:cuckoo:

Many people have been saved by police with guns.

While I think gun ownership is ridiculous..I am not in favor of a total ban at this point. Guns for home protection...and very limited licenses for people who really need to carry (like business owners who have a large amount of cash with them many times during the day) is probably a good compromise.

But NRA types aren't interested in that.

Is that a yes or a no?

Would you turn your daughter into a corrupt police force which hired only serial rapists and murderers if the Law said everyone with her hair colour was to be turned in for elimination?

Answer the question: are you bound to the Law? Would you turn your 3-year-old child in to be raped and killed for having the wrong hair colour?

Ok, so what you mean is that everyone is free to break the law if they want to.

And your point is?

OK, I'll bite, what is the obvious solution?:lol:

It was once against the LAW to aid an escaped slave in his attempts to avoid recapture

You want me to attempt to transport the sum total of my 20/21st century upbringing, and all that entails, back to the 19th century, and

reconfigure it to a 19th century cultural/social upbringing? Wouldn't it depend quite a bit on where and how I was brought up?

Is that a yes or a no?

Ok, so what you mean is that everyone is free to break the law if they want to.

And your point is?

Answer the question

Would you turn your 3-year-old daughter over to a violent rapist?

You want me to attempt to transport the sum total of my 20/21st century upbringing, and all that entails, back to the 19th century, and

reconfigure it to a 19th century cultural/social upbringing? Wouldn't it depend quite a bit on where and how I was brought up?

Stop evading and answer the question

Would you turn in your neighbor if Congress passed a law requiring his entire race be killed?

Call me when the left stops shoving it's agenda down OUR throats.
Thank you for conceding you were wrong.

I did no such thing. But, if it makes you feel better.. have at it Buckwheat.
Sure you did. You went from saying:
we don't DEMAND that you COMPLY with our stance
to saying, when I brought up the abortion point:

Call me when the left stops shoving it's agenda down OUR throats.
That is either an admission or a confession that you're a vindictive idiot.

Your choice.

Ah, another thread where Buttemia pretends to be a libertarian but shows himself as an authoritarian.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

What ever are you babbling about?
I am saying...you are all for rights unless they disagree with what you think should be rights. You're a tool, and a fool.

Ah, another thread where Buttemia pretends to be a libertarian but shows himself as an authoritarian.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

What ever are you babbling about?
I am saying...you are all for rights unless they disagree with what you think should be rights. You're a tool, and a fool.
Right... because not believing you've a right to own black people makes the the bad one :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back