What is Harvard Selling, Exactly?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

The current dust-up about the President of Harvard raises a lot of issues that should make everyone in the Harvard Community very uncomfortable. They have installed an academic mediocrity as head of the school merely because she checks the various boxes that they want checked; she was exposed in front of the entire country as "not very bright"; and now it turns out that her "scholarly" articles (all about racial bullshit) were largely plagiarized.

Even with the current embarrassment, Harvard will still be flooded with applications from many times the number of fresh-person seats that they have to fill. and almost all of them will have exemplary credentials that predict academic success no matter where they ultimately go to college. But they will still gladly pay (along with various benefactors including taxpayers) the stratospheric tuition and costs associated with a Harvard degree.

So what do you get when you go to Harvard (Harvard being just one of many examples)? Do you expect to be taught by outstanding teachers? Probably not. Do you expect to get more out of the Harvard classrooms than you would out of Penn State? Probably not.

What you get is the chance to sit in class alongside the most select group of students imaginable. At least the ones who are not non-Asian POC's and women - they can be mediocre and still get in. And you will get a "sheepskin" that the business world and graduate schools respect. The institution itself adds little to the experience. The high-prestige Professors don't teach a lot of classes to the undergrads, and lest we forget, they don't get to be "high profile" by their teaching ability. It is their research and writing ability that brings them fame.

So in a sense, it doesn't really matter if Harvard appoints a mediocre Token to run the school. The value that the school provides has nothing to do with her. In fact, they fired an outstanding President not too long ago because he made the obvious observation that women, in general, do not have the same math aptitude that men have. Anyone who thought that Harvard was a serious institution learned from that episode that it was not.

If I were a member of the Harvard community (fat chance), I'd stop sending them my$25/year to the alumni fund.

Harvard is selling Post-Modern intersectionality with neo-Marixist overtones.

They learned the lessons of Mao and are bringing them to a young adult near you.

For many of us, this is not a surprise.

The current dust-up about the President of Harvard raises a lot of issues that should make everyone in the Harvard Community very uncomfortable. They have installed an academic mediocrity as head of the school merely because she checks the various boxes that they want checked; she was exposed in front of the entire country as "not very bright"; and now it turns out that her "scholarly" articles (all about racial bullshit) were largely plagiarized.

Even with the current embarrassment, Harvard will still be flooded with applications from many times the number of fresh-person seats that they have to fill. and almost all of them will have exemplary credentials that predict academic success no matter where they ultimately go to college. But they will still gladly pay (along with various benefactors including taxpayers) the stratospheric tuition and costs associated with a Harvard degree.

So what do you get when you go to Harvard (Harvard being just one of many examples)? Do you expect to be taught by outstanding teachers? Probably not. Do you expect to get more out of the Harvard classrooms than you would out of Penn State? Probably not.

What you get is the chance to sit in class alongside the most select group of students imaginable. At least the ones who are not non-Asian POC's and women - they can be mediocre and still get in. And you will get a "sheepskin" that the business world and graduate schools respect. The institution itself adds little to the experience. The high-prestige Professors don't teach a lot of classes to the undergrads, and lest we forget, they don't get to be "high profile" by their teaching ability. It is their research and writing ability that brings them fame.

So in a sense, it doesn't really matter if Harvard appoints a mediocre Token to run the school. The value that the school provides has nothing to do with her. In fact, they fired an outstanding President not too long ago because he made the obvious observation that women, in general, do not have the same math aptitude that men have. Anyone who thought that Harvard was a serious institution learned from that episode that it was not.

If I were a member of the Harvard community (fat chance), I'd stop sending them my$25/year to the alumni fund.
If you attend any reasonably legitimate university, you will get the quality of education out of it relative to the effort and interest you put into it. A degree from Harvard is worth the benefit that comes with it.

No justice of the Supreme Court will hire a Stanford graduate as a law clerk. Likewise, none of the brokerage houses will hire a Harvard graduate.

The ivy league is dying on the vine,

If you attend any reasonably legitimate university, you will get the quality of education out of it relative to the effort and interest you put into it. A degree from Harvard is worth the benefit that comes with it.
I attended the Community College of Allegheny County, University of Pittsburgh, Duquesne University School of Law. The two best teachers I ever experienced were at CCAC. Neither had a PhD.

But I agree with your point. You get out of it what you put into it. Sadly, employers and grad schools don't see it that way.

I understand that the Ivy League schools have outstanding STEM programs. Especially in medicine.

However, it is obvious that there is a lot of destructive Leftest brainwashing going on in the non STEM classes.

How can anybody get a real education when they are being brain washed by bat shit crazy Leftest professors that get everything wrong? Many of these professors real dumbasses hired under DEI policies that fosters ignorance and hate.

I think it is possible to graduate from one of these Liberal brainwashing schools and not be very educated to the real world. You may not be illiterate because you can read and write but you are indoctrinated with a lot of things that are not relevant to the real world and in a lot of cases are simple wrong.

Honestly I have talked to people who went to Ivy League schools like Harvard and they think it is overpriced and overrated. I have met people who went to Harvard and I was disappointed that they didn't come off as smart as I assumed they would be. I knew answers to questions they didn't know or could figure out how to fix something they couldn't figure out.

I have known very smart people with very high SAT scores who chose not to go to Harvard or any IVY League school even though they could, they claimed those schools are overrated and overpriced. They also felt they would get a better education somewhere else. As was stated they didn't like the fact that the high-prestige professors weren't actually teaching the classes, they felt this diminished the quality of the education there.

Harvard is selling Post-Modern intersectionality with neo-Marixist overtones.

They learned the lessons of Mao and are bringing them to a young adult near you.

For many of us, this is not a surprise.
looks like it ..

Forum List

Back