What is An Odd Food For You?

I eat pickled herring, and always have it in my fridge. Good stuff, but considerably less popular than it was 40 years ago for sure.
images

My mom served many odd foods so very little seems strange to me.

She's made us lamb, beef heart, even a horse meat stew one time.

I guess I've never tried tongue, brains or testicles...and really don't want to.
My grandmother used to cook cow tongue when I was a kid. It’s pretty good. Tastes like roast but the texture is not the same as roast. No go on brains and testicles though.

A thread about school lunches got me thinking. I have a weird relationship with beefaroni. I mean I eat it. I have had good and bad I suppose over the decades since first encountering this strange beast. I never had it before school and to this day, I cannot honestly tell you if I like it or not but I still find it fascinating. It is like those ingredients just don't belong together. It is one of the few dishes where it seems like no matter how hard you try, the components still eat like separate things instead of developing a cohesive flavor.

Anyway, just curious if any of you folks have any everyday dishes/foods that you feel are an oddity that should not exist.
its more of an odd food to me than for me,,

rocky mountain oysters,,

what man it their right mind would eat the testicals of another male??

it just aint right I tell ya,,

We ate tons of homemade Beefaroni. In the Midwest it's called goulash. To my surprise, when I moved back here after fifty years on the Left Coast, goulash is still going strong in SD! Homemade Beefaroni.

The one thing I'll never even try again is a Japanese delicacy of fermented soy beans calls "natto" It's slimy and disgusting but I guess it's also incredibly healthy. Our Japanese doctor ate it every day.

iu

No.... just no

Cats have almost no meat, and very few people in Korea under the age of 50 have ever eaten dog.
I have no idea. I saw a video of some street vendor in China preparing a dog. It was horrifying. They seem to believe that burning the hair off the poor animal while it’s still alive helps release something in the dog that makes the meat better or more tender. Meanwhile, to poor animal is being literally suspended and burned while alive.

I get cultural differences. I really do. But I can’t wrap my head around what I saw on that video. Entirely unacceptable.

Forum List

Back