You be nice, but when you really want to tell the manager why the food sucks.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
We went out last night, I was feeling like a good burger, and this place makes good ones.
They had a special - all beef coney dogs. Hmm... I haven't had a coney dog forever.
Well that was a mistake. When asked how it was, I did the usual - "it's good".
But what I wanted to say was -
1) You obviously boiled the hot dogs. WTF for? You should cook them over a fire, or even a flat top to get some char. That will add flavor, and bring out the sugars. Boiling it removes flavor and makes the texture weird.
2) You obviously used canned coney sauce. It is LOADED with salt. To the point of being briny.
3) You didn't toast the bun. It has soaked up the coney sauce, and now it is chewy and I have to eat it with a knife/fork.

Bastards.

Rant over. Carry on.

That is a crime, even if you do braise a hot dog you need to let the water evaporate so it can sear on the pan.

My wife grew up poking holes in them then into the microwave, the first time I made her some properly charred dogs she saw the light.

Coneys have long been poached instead of grilled.
Grilling them is a much more modern concept due to all the artificial stuff put into them of binding and emulsifying agents.

A "real" top shelf coney or sausage (no fillers or binders) will blow up to be completely disfigured and become gritty if boiled or grilled.
And I have tried several times to successfully grill coneys....very low fire and just indirect heat/smoke....failed every time. And I wanted to cry because it was a lot of work to make the mix and stuff the casings.

However....

Lack of meeting expectations is an issue of menu explanations. And you have a right to a bit of a rant. Especially if you were in St Louis or Chicago...places that were once the sausage Capitol.

Depends on the Dog

Typical Sabretts “Dirty Water Dogs” are boiled and served on a soggy bun with brown mustard, kraut or onion sauce.

1699618197518.jpeg

I prefer a natural casing dog cooked on a grill or flat top till they explode and topped with a good quality brown mustard. Never Yellow

Lovely to see our real food starved cousins discussing the various ways of cooking dog food.

It is true a few English people also eat these unhealthy concoctions but we are tolerant even if supercilious .

Depends on the Dog

Typical Sabretts “Dirty Water Dogs” are boiled and served on a soggy bun with brown mustard, kraut or onion sauce.

I prefer a natural casing dog cooked on a grill or flat top till they explode and topped with a good quality brown mustard. Never Yellow
Well yeah... I stab them with a fork a couple times first.
There is a guy called Garcia in Indianapolis that serves the best Hot Dogs in Indianapolis.
He has sold hot dogs out of a cart on the same corner for years.
I don't know where he gets them from, but they are clearly real. Natural casing and all.

Lovely to see our real food starved cousins discussing the various ways of cooking dog food.

It is true a few English people also eat these unhealthy concoctions but we are tolerant even if supercilious .
It has been years since I ate a coney. Probably at the very least 10 years.
Like everything else, they have been heavily commercialized and ruined in America

We went out last night, I was feeling like a good burger, and this place makes good ones.
They had a special - all beef coney dogs. Hmm... I haven't had a coney dog forever.
1) You obviously boiled the hot dogs. WTF for? You should cook them over a fire, or even a flat top to get some char. That will add flavor, and bring out the sugars. Boiling it removes flavor and makes the texture weird.
2) You obviously used canned coney sauce. It is LOADED with salt. To the point of being briny.
3) You didn't toast the bun. It has soaked up the coney sauce, and now it is chewy and I have to eat it with a knife/fork.

Bastards.

Rant over. Carry on.
I learned how to cook a steak better than Outback.
I don't see any reason to go to Outback and spend $80 for steaks that I can cook better myself.

I figure it this way; If you don't like the way they cook, go somewhere else or learn to cook it yourself.

Well yeah... I stab them with a fork a couple times first.
There is a guy called Garcia in Indianapolis that serves the best Hot Dogs in Indianapolis.
He has sold hot dogs out of a cart on the same corner for years.
I don't know where he gets them from, but they are clearly real. Natural casing and all.
I cannot find anything that compares to German Baloney.
They used to sell it in these carts outside Kaufland and you get a slice of it, put some mustard on it and wrap it in some Brochen and you got a decent meal.
Everything they sell stateside is absolute crap in comparison.

Last edited:
I learned how to cook a steak better than Outback.
I don't see any reason to go to Outback and spend $80 for steaks that I can cook better myself.

I figure it this way; If you don't like the way they cook, go somewhere else or learn to cook it yourself.
Just sayin, I am a very good home chef.
But sometimes you just don't want to cook.
I went there for a burger, and they do that well there... I was surprised and disappointed they served this shit. No way the same guys who make solid good burgers thought this is something we should serve.
Which means they knowingly served shit.

Natural casings are tough to chew. For coneys or breakfast sausages it's always sheep casings. Sausages like kielbasa or salami it's beef. When they get dry they become brittle. (Why they explode into little bits on the grill)

Those super thin ones that are common on modern institutional made dogs are almost a painted on product. They come on 10,000ft reels and are basically a single sheet instead of a tube.
Not exactly something I recommend.

Bastards.

Rant over. Carry on.
/---/ I've lived in New York for 50 years and am a bit of a food snob. I'm surrounded by the best authentic cuisines in the world and spoiled.
I visited a small town in North Carolina to visit family. They gleefully took me to one of their favorite places, New York Pizza for lunch. The owner claimed to be trained in Brooklyn.
The NY pizza was white bread with ketchup and American sliced cheese baked in a toaster oven, The Spaghetti and meatballs were Chef Boy-ar-dee based on the empty cans on the back counter.
I politely told my family that it was some of the best Italian food I ever had.
About 4 years later, they visited me in NY and I took them to Little Italy for dinner. You wouldn't believe the looks on their faces.

It has been years since I ate a coney. Probably at the very least 10 years.
Like everything else, they have been heavily commercialized and ruined in America

I have had Hot Dogs at Coney Island

They are typically Nathan’s all beef hot dogs cooked on a griddle with a toasted bun.

Seems you were served a Dirty Water Dog which is served in stands throughout NYC

Just sayin, I am a very good home chef.
But sometimes you just don't want to cook.
I went there for a burger, and they do that well there... I was surprised and disappointed they served this shit. No way the same guys who make solid good burgers thought this is something we should serve.
Which means they knowingly served shit.
That's why I stick to what I know is good.
Most of the stuff restaurants serve is not so good, so I find something I like and I order it every time till it's discontinued. Then I eat somewhere else.
I haven't eaten out since COVID.

That's why I stick to what I know is good.
Most of the stuff restaurants serve is not so good, so I find something I like and I order it every time till it's discontinued. Then I eat somewhere else.
I haven't eaten out since COVID.
Covid wrecked the restaurant scene here. Utterly destroyed it.
Bloomington, IN has been known for great restaurants for decades. Decades.
No more.
The scene was totally gutted. Most went out of business, then a corporate restaurant company called Endeavor Restaurant Group bought a half dozen of them out - and now they all suck.

A proper coney can't be made "all beef" and stay within kosher guidelines because of the pork fat used in it. IOW they are using some other fat substitute to make the texture. (Scary stuff IMHO)

No more.
The scene was totally gutted. Most went out of business, then a corporate restaurant company called Endeavor Restaurant Group bought a half dozen of them out - and now they all suck.
/---/ Two partners poured their life savings to open a bar and grill in NYC. The day after opening night, the state shut everyone down. They lost it all.

I have had Hot Dogs at Coney Island

They are typically Nathan’s all beef hot dogs cooked on a griddle with a toasted bun.

Seems you were served a Dirty Water Dog which is served in stands throughout NYC

those things make me puke....

now as for a hot dog...i like to heat mine till it splits..charred well..toast bun...raw onion

try explaining raw onions to a dirty dog vendor..they have that pickled stuff

Bastards.

Rant over. Carry on.
Flat-top grill works surprisingly well for dogs. That's how hot wieners are done.
No more.
Here, too.
/---/ Two partners poured their life savings to open a bar and grill in NYC. The day after opening night, the state shut everyone down. They lost it all.
My neighbor was shut down...lost his house, his restaurant, his life's work, life's dream, and life savings before he hung himself. My cousin and his wife lost careers (cook and caterer), their rental property after 15 months of no rent, and their life savings.

Forum List

Back