What if the mass shooting today happened every day?

It shocks me how people like oktexas frame the argument in a way that would make everyone be armed, let me guess if the teacher had a gun she could have stopped it right?

Umm...

No.

You can carry in your automobile if you have the clip in the glove box and the weapon in the trunk.

They can not be loaded UNLESS you have a Concealed permit (Pistol License)

-------------------------

You can not buy a Pistol same day with out a back ground check.

which takes up to two weeks or longer.

---------------------------------

You CAN buy a rifle off the shelf at any time if you are over 18.

------------------------------

I'd Love to know what states allow you to buy a pistol wiht out a BG check same day?

Did you not notice I qualified my statement by using the word "here". In TX I can walk into a gun shop and fill out the federal forms, they do the instant back ground check and I can walk out with any gun I want, zero waiting. Also anyone who can legally own a gun can carry it in their vehicle or to and from their vehicle, fully loaded and at the ready as long as it isn't visible. You only need a CHL to carry on your person at any time. You must live in one of those backwards states I referred to.

Last edited:
That would still be way fewer deaths than by cars:

More than 33,000 people and 11,000 kids 10 and under died in car crashes in 2009 (latest year available).
http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s1105.pdf

Anyone trying to ban cars?

I've said the same for years. No need to ban cars though but we do need to lower speed limits and greatly increase penalties for things like DUI and red light running. Unfortunately libs go ballistic if anyone suggest 55 mph speed limit even though that would prevent thousands of highway killing a year - like it did in the 1970s..

More than 33,000 people and 11,000 kids 10 and under died in car crashes in 2009 (latest year available).

It does happen every day. It only involves more than one shooter.

On average, 45 people are murdered every single day in the US and most of them with guns. Why doesn't THAT bother you? Why is the tragedy in Connecticut "worse" than the every day toll?

It isn't, but it's more visible because it's a single event.

It shocks me how people like oktexas frame the argument in a way that would make everyone be armed, let me guess if the teacher had a gun she could have stopped it right?

That would depend on how proficient she was, damn sure would have given the guy something to worry about. I guess you want to have the free kill zones all over the country, where the bad guys know no one will oppose them. Right, because that's proven to work so well. 2 million people use a gun to protect themselves and others annually, do you want them to just lay down and take what ever the bad guy has in mind?

How about banning any and all alchoholic beverages?

How many wives are beat, murdered and raped because hubby got drunk?

How many children are beat, murdered and raped because daddy got drunk?

That third question, I bet you lefties are saying, "That's what abortions are for, to prevent child abuse you stupid nazi whack job neocon righty pube".

That would depend on how proficient she was, damn sure would have given the guy something to worry about. I guess you want to have the free kill zones all over the country, where the bad guys know no one will oppose them. Right, because that's proven to work so well. 2 million people use a gun to protect themselves and others annually, do you want them to just lay down and take what ever the bad guy has in mind?

Hahahaha let's arm 12 year olds in the classroom so they can defend them selves, or better yet a teacher, listen to your self, really. Fucking crazy.

How about banning any and all alchoholic beverages?

How many wives are beat, murdered and raped because hubby got drunk?

How many children are beat, murdered and raped because daddy got drunk?

That third question, I bet you lefties are saying, "That's what abortions are for, to prevent child abuse you stupid nazi whack job neocon righty pube".

Here is the thing, guns kill people, people use guns as the preferred weapon of choice when your gonna commit a crim. Is this stupid hour with cons? I just don't get it.

Car accidents and 18 children shot execution style are the same in your mind?

Guess what, idiot, one of them is preventable.

Ahhhhhh...I see now.

"Execution-style" is left wing anti-gun code to hype up an already horrible tragedy

Executions by guns are performed with the condemned against a wall, or tied to a post, with a blindfold and a platoon of riflemen shooting him in the heart.

"Execution-style" is a media invention used by dickwads to color a murder as if it were nothing more than a great sports play that needed that little extra something for the viewing audience.

What the hell do you call it? Executed they were! Let's call a spade a spade here and not mince words! Those kids were sitting ducks that didn't have a chance! Yeah...execution happened today.

If you don't want to defend yourself or your family, that's fine with me, you can count on the police being there when tragedy happens but don't take that right from me.

And yet the right wings answer.........arm the kids an teachers, it's comical.

And yet the right wings answer.........arm the kids an teachers, it's comical.

I don't think anybody suggested arming the kids. It's the adults that need to protect the kids..from the parents to the teachers to the government agencies that fund the schools.

City surpasses 2011’s murder total

BY STEFANO ESPOSITO, JON SEIDEL AND FRAN SPIELMAN Staff Reporters
October 29, 2012

Chicago hits a murder milestone
December 1, 2012

Carlos Alexander was going through his morning routine: Go to the store near his house. Get a cup of coffee and a Chicago Sun-Times.

On Monday morning, he was shot and killed on his return trip, a milestone murder in a bloody year in Chicago’s neighborhoods — a year already worse than 2011.

The 33-year-old father of four’s slaying was the 436th murder in Chicago in 2012, one more than the total for all of last year.

Two additional shooting deaths were recorded later Monday, bringing the total to 438.

The violent year has grabbed international attention. For Alexander’s family, it brought heartbreak and questions. His wife had to tell their four children — daughters ages 13 and 12 and sons ages 9 and 1 — that their father was dead.

“He was a good person. He loved his kids. He was just caught in the midst of violence that’s going on around here. He wasn’t no bad guy,” said Aaron Avery, his brother-in-law.

“It’s senseless. He just came from the store. He went to get a newspaper and some coffee.”

Alexander was gunned down in the 7900 block of South Escanaba at about 10:30 a.m. Monday, not far from his home. With a bullet wound in his left shoulder, he collapsed, gasping for air, into his sister’s arms before falling unconscious. He later died at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

Nearby residents said Alexander appeared to be an innocent bystander caught up in a turf war between gang members on Escanaba and Manistee.

Alexander had wanted to flee the violence. He tended to stay indoors to avoid trouble, and was considering a move to Milwaukee, his family said.

“It’s senseless. It’s pointless. It’s kinda hard to describe,” said Alexander’s brother, Lorenzo Alexander. “Kids these days don’t have any ambition. They run the streets wreaking havoc.”

Lorenzo Alexander said his brother had been out of work for a few years and wanted to learn a trade to help give his kids better opportunities in the future.

“He didn’t bother anyone,” said Lorenzo Alexander. “He wasn’t involved with whatever’s going on around here...new beef or problem. It was definitely a case of mistaken identity.”

A graduate of Hirsch Metro High School, Alexander watched the Bears game Sunday afternoon and planned to trick or treat with his kids this week.

On the front of the store Alexander had just left before his murder, two CeaseFire Illinois signs were posted.

One says, “Stop. Killing. People.” The other: “Don’t shoot. I want to grow up.”

“They’ve been shooting all summer long on this block,” said one resident, Denny Everett.

On Monday, Walter McLemore, 37, of the 3600 block of West Augusta Boulevard, was killed in a shooting around 1:20 p.m. on the 1100 block of West Wilson in the Uptown neighborhood, authorities said.

A separate shooting about five hours later left a 36-year-old woman dead with a gunshot wound to the chest on the 1600 block of North Spaulding Avenue in the Humboldt Park neighborhood, police said.

The city’s murder count has proved a challenge for Mayor Rahm Emanuel as it continues to make headlines.

Asked Monday how he feels about surpassing last year’s murder total with more than two months left in 2012, the mayor said, “Obviously, not good. This weekend, I called a mother, Gladys, whose son was shot. That’s, as you know, the hardest part of this job. I called another mother also [whose child was shot] to make sure that they know that they’re not alone.”

Read more at:
City surpasses 2011

http://www.suntimes.com/csp/cms/sites/STM/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=spWOMlvlU5OgH6RWxE7mpIb9FB54oNcnhUx1dOHKHnk_WJ$VgORmgydO4c5PW_Uw4Aw$6wU9GSUcqtd9hs3TFeZCn0vq69IZViKeqDZhqNLziaXiKG0K_ms4C2keQo54&CONTENTTYPE=application/pdf&CONTENTDISPOSITION=murders-cst-103012.pdf

Critics will focus on gun control after today’s school massacre.
The focus should be on failed liberal policies that excuse rather than assist extremely dysfunctional individuals.

The gun control thing does a disservice to all those who died today...it gets back to the same back and forth (read no progress whatsoever) politics we've been playing ring around the rosies with for the last 40 years. Please...can't the politicians get together and actually do something useful just this once? How many kids have to die before they ditch the same tired old arguments and get to some meat and actually make a positive difference?

I'm so sick of the political bullshit!

Oh...and let's re-open the mental institutions...let's lock 'em up rather than having them roam around decent people. Screw compassionate...I'm just not in the mood today!

Car accidents and 18 children shot execution style are the same in your mind?

Guess what, idiot, one of them is preventable.

Yep, we need to ban wheeled vehicles. They kill entirely too many people. The lazy sob wouldn't have been at the school if he had to walk.

The 'accidents,' were preventable. The tragic carnage here? Not so much. Gun control isn't the answer. BTW, I don't and wouldn't own a gun. I do however drive.

Car deaths are accidental. To compare the two is stupid.

No, it really isn't. The point is that we see a couple of these school massacres each year. In total, less than fifty people are killed. How much are we going to spend to prevent this and make our schools 100% safe? The cost would be mind boggling. Look at it this way. Putting two police officers in every single school throughout the US would cost upwards of $13 billion, and having two rent a cops in a school would be no guarantee that something like today's tragedy still wouldn't happen. To make our schools 100% safe would cost over $100 billion and we would be making our schools prisons. All that to save 50 or so lives. Don't get me wrong, I'm not downplaying the loss of life. It is horrible, but how much are we willing to pay to stop it from ever happening again?

City surpasses 2011’s murder total

BY STEFANO ESPOSITO, JON SEIDEL AND FRAN SPIELMAN Staff Reporters
October 29, 2012

Chicago hits a murder milestone
December 1, 2012

Carlos Alexander was going through his morning routine: Go to the store near his house. Get a cup of coffee and a Chicago Sun-Times.

On Monday morning, he was shot and killed on his return trip, a milestone murder in a bloody year in Chicago’s neighborhoods — a year already worse than 2011.

The 33-year-old father of four’s slaying was the 436th murder in Chicago in 2012, one more than the total for all of last year.

Two additional shooting deaths were recorded later Monday, bringing the total to 438.

The violent year has grabbed international attention. For Alexander’s family, it brought heartbreak and questions. His wife had to tell their four children — daughters ages 13 and 12 and sons ages 9 and 1 — that their father was dead.

“He was a good person. He loved his kids. He was just caught in the midst of violence that’s going on around here. He wasn’t no bad guy,” said Aaron Avery, his brother-in-law.

“It’s senseless. He just came from the store. He went to get a newspaper and some coffee.”

Alexander was gunned down in the 7900 block of South Escanaba at about 10:30 a.m. Monday, not far from his home. With a bullet wound in his left shoulder, he collapsed, gasping for air, into his sister’s arms before falling unconscious. He later died at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

Nearby residents said Alexander appeared to be an innocent bystander caught up in a turf war between gang members on Escanaba and Manistee.

Alexander had wanted to flee the violence. He tended to stay indoors to avoid trouble, and was considering a move to Milwaukee, his family said.

“It’s senseless. It’s pointless. It’s kinda hard to describe,” said Alexander’s brother, Lorenzo Alexander. “Kids these days don’t have any ambition. They run the streets wreaking havoc.”

Lorenzo Alexander said his brother had been out of work for a few years and wanted to learn a trade to help give his kids better opportunities in the future.

“He didn’t bother anyone,” said Lorenzo Alexander. “He wasn’t involved with whatever’s going on around here...new beef or problem. It was definitely a case of mistaken identity.”

A graduate of Hirsch Metro High School, Alexander watched the Bears game Sunday afternoon and planned to trick or treat with his kids this week.

On the front of the store Alexander had just left before his murder, two CeaseFire Illinois signs were posted.

One says, “Stop. Killing. People.” The other: “Don’t shoot. I want to grow up.”

“They’ve been shooting all summer long on this block,” said one resident, Denny Everett.

On Monday, Walter McLemore, 37, of the 3600 block of West Augusta Boulevard, was killed in a shooting around 1:20 p.m. on the 1100 block of West Wilson in the Uptown neighborhood, authorities said.

A separate shooting about five hours later left a 36-year-old woman dead with a gunshot wound to the chest on the 1600 block of North Spaulding Avenue in the Humboldt Park neighborhood, police said.

The city’s murder count has proved a challenge for Mayor Rahm Emanuel as it continues to make headlines.

Asked Monday how he feels about surpassing last year’s murder total with more than two months left in 2012, the mayor said, “Obviously, not good. This weekend, I called a mother, Gladys, whose son was shot. That’s, as you know, the hardest part of this job. I called another mother also [whose child was shot] to make sure that they know that they’re not alone.”

Read more at:
City surpasses 2011

http://www.suntimes.com/csp/cms/sites/STM/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=spWOMlvlU5OgH6RWxE7mpIb9FB54oNcnhUx1dOHKHnk_WJ$VgORmgydO4c5PW_Uw4Aw$6wU9GSUcqtd9hs3TFeZCn0vq69IZViKeqDZhqNLziaXiKG0K_ms4C2keQo54&CONTENTTYPE=application/pdf&CONTENTDISPOSITION=murders-cst-103012.pdf

You guys going back to the Chicago crime scene again? I hate to tell all of you this, but the murder rate in Chicago is nothing compared to what it was in the early 90's when I lived there. We have a number of years where the murder rate was over 900 for the year. What people outside of Chicago don't understand is that the vast majority of murders took place in a select few neighborhoods where gang activity is the rule of law. For the people who are stuck living in those areas, life sucks, no doubt. For everyone else, it's like living anywhere else. I worked in those bad parts of the city for most of the time I lived there. Going into those neighborhoods during the day was pretty safe. Most of these neighborhoods were all black, and during the day, blacks wouldn't mess with whites who were working in their neighborhoods. Anyway, Chicago seems to be doing a lot better these days.

Car deaths are accidental. To compare the two is stupid.

No, it really isn't. The point is that we see a couple of these school massacres each year. In total, less than fifty people are killed. How much are we going to spend to prevent this and make our schools 100% safe? The cost would be mind boggling. Look at it this way. Putting two police officers in every single school throughout the US would cost upwards of $13 billion, and having two rent a cops in a school would be no guarantee that something like today's tragedy still wouldn't happen. To make our schools 100% safe would cost over $100 billion and we would be making our schools prisons. All that to save 50 or so lives. Don't get me wrong, I'm not downplaying the loss of life. It is horrible, but how much are we willing to pay to stop it from ever happening again?

Yeah? Well take my part out of the AIG stock we as a nation still own!

Forum List

Back