What human cost is acceptable in controling illegal immigration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff Sessions and Donald Trump:
"If you are smuggling a child then we will prosecute you, and that child will be separated from you as required by law," Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Monday at a law enforcement conference in Scottsdale, Arizona. "If you don't like that, then don't smuggle children over our border."

Administration officials explained that the goal of the program is 100 percent prosecution of all who enter the U.S. illegally. When adults are prosecuted and jailed, their children will be separated from them, just as would happen for a U.S. citizen convicted and jailed.

Anguish at Southwest border as more immigrant children are separated from parents
The Trump administration's willingness to take children from their parents has raised concerns about how far authorities should go to stem unauthorized border crossings and what human cost is acceptable in the name of border security and immigration control.

"There is something terrible happening here that Americans would not support if they understood it," said F. Scott McCown, director of the Children’s Rights Clinic at the University of Texas at Austin School of Law.

I don't care how much you hate illegal immigrants this is EVIL. You are punishing the children. It's abhorrant and wrong and inexcusable. I hope they rot in hell for this. 700 children so far have been seperated from the only family they know and lost to our often incompetent and mismanaged child care system. I fail to see how any parent could support actions like these.

When parents are held for prosecution, their children are turned over to the Office of Refugee Resettlement, part of the Department of Health and Human Services. The children are then designated as "unaccompanied minors," and the government tries to connect them to family members who are already in the U.S. Until then, children wait in shelters or are sent to federally contracted foster homes, often without parents being told exactly where they are, immigration advocates said.

It may soon become even more difficult to place children with relatives. The Department of Homeland Security is proposing immigration checks be done on all people in a household who may take in these "unaccompanied" children, which means relatives who are undocumented may be less likely to come forward.

In the meantime, space in shelters and foster homes is limited; The Washington Post reported the administration plans to open facilities at military bases to house some of the separated children.
The parents are the one who are punishing them, not our immigration service.

"If you are smuggling a child then we will prosecute you, and that child will be separated from you as required by law," Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Monday at a law enforcement conference in Scottsdale, Arizona. "If you don't like that, then don't smuggle children over our border."

Administration officials explained that the goal of the program is 100 percent prosecution of all who enter the U.S. illegally. When adults are prosecuted and jailed, their children will be separated from them, just as would happen for a U.S. citizen convicted and jailed.

Anguish at Southwest border as more immigrant children are separated from parents
The Trump administration's willingness to take children from their parents has raised concerns about how far authorities should go to stem unauthorized border crossings and what human cost is acceptable in the name of border security and immigration control.

"There is something terrible happening here that Americans would not support if they understood it," said F. Scott McCown, director of the Children’s Rights Clinic at the University of Texas at Austin School of Law.

I don't care how much you hate illegal immigrants this is EVIL. You are punishing the children. It's abhorrant and wrong and inexcusable. I hope they rot in hell for this. 700 children so far have been seperated from the only family they know and lost to our often incompetent and mismanaged child care system. I fail to see how any parent could support actions like these.

When parents are held for prosecution, their children are turned over to the Office of Refugee Resettlement, part of the Department of Health and Human Services. The children are then designated as "unaccompanied minors," and the government tries to connect them to family members who are already in the U.S. Until then, children wait in shelters or are sent to federally contracted foster homes, often without parents being told exactly where they are, immigration advocates said.

It may soon become even more difficult to place children with relatives. The Department of Homeland Security is proposing immigration checks be done on all people in a household who may take in these "unaccompanied" children, which means relatives who are undocumented may be less likely to come forward.

In the meantime, space in shelters and foster homes is limited; The Washington Post reported the administration plans to open facilities at military bases to house some of the separated children.

If the illegals care about children, then they won't try and cross the border with them.

Since they don't, why in the hell should we? And why in the hell should we let them in the country, given they are exceptionally brutish? Americans have higher standards than this.

Yes, this is terrible. I think I know of a solution though: If you have children, STF away from our borders.

Then it clearly is not so terrible to you. It's a human cost you find WORTH IT.

They don't see them as human.

It's the parent's fault.
They know that they are breaking the law.

its just like the 'anchor baby' deal , mexicans drop an anchor baby and they have the Americans by the nutz . This variation of the mexican taking their kids to the border is , as i say just a variation of dropping an anchor baby . -------------------- as the mexican cries and says , you can't separate 'mamasitas' and widdle baby mexicans Coyote .

So you are fine with taking young children from their parents and throwing them into our foster care system while they await hearings? 700 kids lost in our foster care network or housed in barracks apart from their parents. It's sick but you don't have an issue with it.

It's the parent's fault. They know that they are breaking the law.
Many times when US parents break laws their children are put in foster care.

Yes, this is terrible. I think I know of a solution though: If you have children, STF away from our borders.

It's the parent's fault.
This is what America has come to. Sad. So very sad.

Unnecessary? Really?
“Parents” get caught robbing a bank...they’re prosecuted and sentenced to years of incarceration...do they forfeit their children to “the system” due to their own actions....or do we send the children to live in their prison cell with them?
Come on people....THINK. This is such simple shit.

That is not the way the immigration system as worked before. The children and parents are housed together until they get their hearing. It isn't a criminal court system.

Welcome to law and order people...this is what shit feels like when you have a POTUS with a nutsack running shit.
This shit is super simple....DON’T BREAK THE FUCKING LAW and have no worries.
CAUSE AND EFFECT...we learned the shit in third grade.

This helps nobody, we are now losing children in the system as well as separating families that have followed the law who legally sought asylum which may be against international law.

Here, read this if you're such a 'law and order' kind of guy.

USA: Routine separation of asylum-seeking families violates international law

Oh shit...you whacks are so predictable.
This is where you bring the .0002% in play that nobody gives two shits about to help push your twisted agenda. Nobody good and sane falls for that bullshit anymore...haha
Back to the drawing board huh?

I think you're making up the percentage but we'll ignore that.

The point of my post is the Trump administration is systematically separating families whether legally or not applying for asylum. In other words, the policy is broad based and probably illegal and as a policy this is new and unnecessary, it's inhumane at it's core. We also don't seem to care enough to even properly track where these kids end up or give two shits about the welfare of the most innocent among us.

The Trump administration gets away with this because you've been lead to believe that there is an 'invasion' and 'wetbacks' aren't human and should be shot on site if even glancing over at the border. I'd hate to live in your America, hopefully we will never get there.

It's the parent's fault

It's the parent's fault.
This is what America has come to. Sad. So very sad.

What has it come to?

The Central American parents send their children here alone.
They know that our laws are such that we can't ship them back
and we hold them until they are placed in a foster home.

The vast majority of these kids that everybody is talking about came
here alone. They are missing because the phone calls to the foster homes
have not been answered.

When we send a mother to prison we do not let the child go with her.
Why should we treat those people any different.

Trump lost 1500...huh? Obama, according to reports lost over 4100...why
no outrage then?

Damn those Democrats for passing the law that requires the separation of parents and children!

Trump blames Democrats for his policy of separating migrant families at border

The administration confirmed this month that breaking up families was a byproduct of their new "zero tolerance" plan to prosecute everyone who crosses the border illegally, which would require minors who traveled with their family to be taken into the custody of the Department of Health and Human Services. Under the previous policy, children were usually allowed to stay with their parents in shelters while awaiting legal proceedings.

One great way to avoid all of this is to legally immigrate.
We are just like the other 200 countries on the planet.
We have a 100% right to control our border crossings and immigration.
The corrupt and racist Democratic Party loves illegal immigration because it builds their voter base.

Damn those Democrats for passing the law that requires the separation of parents and children!

The administration confirmed this month that breaking up families was a byproduct of their new "zero tolerance" plan to prosecute everyone who crosses the border illegally, which would require minors who traveled with their family to be taken into the custody of the Department of Health and Human Services. Under the previous policy, children were usually allowed to stay with their parents in shelters while awaiting legal proceedings.

That's when the mulatto messiah was only using civil law, Sessions is prosecuting them under criminal statutes. You can't keep kids with criminals.

They aren't convicted of a crime and if they don't demonstrate a threat to their children then their is not a valid reason. It's actually harmful to pull families apart.
1. It is the illegal parents who are pulling their families apart - no one else.

2. I agree that there is not a valid reason fro separating them, but I don't agree for your reason. I say they shouldn't be separated, because they should all be deported together. The idea that kids born here, whose parents are foreigners, should automatically be American citizens, is incorrect. They are ALL foreigners and should all be deported. No separations.

If the illegals care about children, then they won't try and cross the border with them.

Since they don't, why in the hell should we? And why in the hell should we let them in the country, given they are exceptionally brutish? Americans have higher standards than this.

As paradoxical stream of consciousness goes, you're a classic in the genre. On one hand its "Why the hell should we care about children" then literally 17 words later "Americans have higher standards". If that were so, you would be deported.

Trump and his ass kissers have now gone beyond the pale, They have fallen to a point that is beneath contempt.

It does make you wonder...not when will the Trump supporters hit bottom but if there is a bottom where they are concerned. We are now utilizing our resources to lock up infants....

Question is, is it worth the cost to their parents?

Catch and release? We're talking about removing children from their parents, moving them to different states and not letting them contact their kids except maybe a phone call every couple of weeks. Then again if the child is too young to talk on the phone then we are talking up to a year w/out contacts. Now we're also losing those kids in the system.
I'm really sure what your post has to do with separating families. I guess you'll grab at anything to justify this policy that we have done to those who sought out asylum or not.
I don't know what you're talking about, but I'm talking about simply having illegal alien parents deported (ex. to Mexico), and the kids staying in the US. What catch & release has to do with it is, under that system, the parents simply did not go to their court hearing, just filtered back into the US community, and never got deported and so the families were NOT SEPARATED.

It does make you wonder...not when will the Trump supporters hit bottom but if there is a bottom where they are concerned. We are now utilizing our resources to lock up infants....
They are wasting resources . ALL the foreigners should be deported. There is no such thing as an anchor baby. The entire family of illegal aliens are here illegally, including kids born in the US. They should ALL be deported, and ALL leave together, as one intact family unit.

Not only is Trump’s hateful policy repugnant and reprehensible, punishing children for the actions of their parents is clearly un-Constitutional, as the Supreme Court has clearly held over the years (see, for example, Weber v. Aetna Casualty & Surety Co. (1972) and Plyler v. Doe (1982)).

Not that most on the right care about the rule of law, of course; indeed, conservatives are ruled mostly by their fear, ignorance, and hate – advocating that children be separated from their parents as some sort of ‘deterrent’ to immigration is a sad example of that.
I am familiar with P vs D, and I see no relevance of it to deportation of entire illegal alien families. The other case I am not familiar with, and by merely plunking it down here in a post and not explaining it, you have shown nothing. It's a mile long I'm not going to spend a lot of time reading the whole boring thing. If you think you have a point here, state it.

If you think that these SCOTUS cases impact deportation of illegal aliens, state why you think so. Until I get an explanation, I'm not accepting that they have a shred of relevance here.

And deporting children with their parents is not Trump's policy. It is an 1866 policy of Senator Jacob Howard, author of the Constitution's 14th amendment.

Jacob Howard, United States Senator
from Michigan. In office January 17, 1862 – March 4, 1871

This is nonsense.

We are NOT punishing children. No more than a convicted felon's child is punished when we send them to prison.

Do we stop enforcing our laws because the children will be separated from their parents who are acting criminally?

The answer is a resounding, no!

As for this nonsense of "human cost", it is nothing more than a phrase designed to instill anguish in political opposition for the purpose of achieving an agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back