What Happened to McCain?

rayboyusmc

Jan 2, 2008
Florida
Eight years ago, I would have voted for McCain. Now, I wouldn't if he was the only one running. He has had his head so far up Bush's Butt that he is an embarassement. I guess becoming president has become more important than his own integrity.

Here was a man who spent 5 years as a POW. I would have thought that after this kind of ordeal and soul searching that must have accomplished it, he would no longer bow to the petty partisan crap of politics.

Admiral Stockdale, who I heard speak once, was a man who lived through the same kind of hell and came out a better person. Too bad he is dead and can't run for office. Or, maybe, he just found something more important than political fame and power.

Now McCain is trying to please both sides of the Republican party. You can't be honest and suceed at that. What's that biblical quote about trying to serve two masters?

Arizona Senator John McCain, the Republican presidential front-runner, was missing in action yesterday when it came time to vote on the economic stimulus package.

McCain’s problem was that the bill contained provisions that would make 20 million seniors and 250,000 disabled veterans eligible for rebate checks.

It was, granted, a tough decision for McCain. Whichever way he voted, he would have risked alienating people. If he voted “no” to the rebates, he would have denied benefits to Social Security recipients and disabled veterans… you know, people he’s counting on to vote for him. Plus there are probably members of each of those groups in Arizona who could have used the money.

If he had voted “yes” he would have no doubt angered President Bush, Republican leaders and conservatives – some of whom aren’t too happy with McCain to begin with.

It was one of those moments that says a lot about someone’s character. What did McCain do? Nothing. He ducked. Instead of representing the people in Arizona who elected him, he simply chose not to vote at all. John McCain, pilot of the Straight Talk Express, wimped out.

And it’s not the first time. Not by a long shot. In the last year, John McCain has missed more than half of all the votes cast in the U.S. Senate

http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2008/02/07/mccain-chooses-not-to-make-tough-vote/

Dude, he is going to be the GOP nominee, barring his death. Republicans better mellow to his candidacy.

Like you though, I am a bit dismayed by the way McCain became a bush disciple in the last couple months. Maybe he is flirting with the conservatives but I just can't figure why he thinks agreeing with a lame duck that is terribly unpopular can help him.

His moderate stances are what many people find attractive and gives the GOP a chance in November. If he thinks moving to the right is going to help him with the Neos, he is dead wrong. As long as Rush, the drug addict, is bellowing against him on his radio show, the right wingers are staying away.

:eusa_think:

I'm surprised someone hasn't come in on this yet with some spin about how he was "busy on the campaign trail".

Forum List

Back