What government programs have you benefited from?

You truly are foolish if you believe that.

Norman Borlaug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Norman Borlaug - Biography

When the Rockefeller and Ford Foundations in cooperation with the Mexican government established the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT), an autonomous international research training institute having an international board of trustees and staff, Dr. Borlaug was made director of its International Wheat Improvement Program. In this capacity he has been able to realize more fully a third objective, that of training young scientists in research and production methods. From his earliest days in Mexico he has, to be sure, carried on an intern program, but with the establishment of the Center, he has been able to reach out internationally. In the last seven years some 1940 young scientists from sixteen or so countries (the figures constantly move upward) have studied and worked at the Center.

And why is this man special specifically?

Norman Borlaug: The Man Who Saved More Human Lives Than Any Other Has Died - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

He saved hundreds of millions of lives and even more will be saved in the future due to his work. And who funded him? The Mexican Government along with some foundations.

Take that to the bank.
The flawed premise is that if gubmint didn't fund the research, it never would have been done.

Do yourself a favor and take a course in basic logic next semester.
If it wasn;t for State colleges people like Borlaug and Vogel would not exist. You are the one who needs to take a course in logic and maybe take a history class while you are at it.

If it wasn;t for State colleges people like Borlaug and Vogel would not exist. You are the one who needs to take a course in logic and maybe take a history class while you are at it.

See Post #120. :cool:

The flawed premise is that if gubmint didn't fund the research, it never would have been done.

Do yourself a favor and take a course in basic logic next semester.

As usual, you have no clue what you're talking about.

If the Government never funded his education in the first place, he would of never been able to do any of this.

Through a Depression-era program known as the National Youth Administration, he was able to enroll at the University of Minnesota in 1933. Initially, Borlaug failed the entrance exam, but was accepted to the school's newly created two-year General College. After two quarters, he transferred to the College of Agriculture's forestry program

To finance his studies, Borlaug periodically had to put his education on hold and take a job. One of these jobs, in 1935, was as a leader in the Civilian Conservation Corps, working with the unemployed on U.S. federal projects. Many of the people who worked for him were starving. He later recalled, "I saw how food changed them ... All of this left scars on me".[10] From 1935 to 1938, before and after receiving his Bachelor of Science forestry degree in 1937, Borlaug worked for the United States Forestry Service at stations in Massachusetts and Idaho. He spent one summer in the middle fork of Idaho's Salmon River, the most isolated piece of wilderness in the lower 48 states at the time.[10]

All these Government jobs to pay for education.

And who gave him one of his first projects?

Borlaug tried to enlist in the military, but was rejected under wartime labor regulations; his lab was converted to conduct research for the United States armed forces. One of his first projects was to develop glue that could withstand the warm saltwater of the South Pacific. The Imperial Japanese Navy had gained control of the island of Guadalcanal, and patrolled the sky and sea by day. The only way that U.S. forces could supply the troops stranded on the island was by approaching at night by speedboat, and jettisoning boxes of canned food and other supplies into the surf to wash ashore. The problem was that the glue holding these containers together disintegrated in saltwater. Within weeks, Borlaug and his colleagues had developed an adhesive that resisted corrosion, allowing food and supplies to reach the stranded Marines. Other tasks included work with camouflage, canteen disinfectants, DDT to control malaria, and insulation for small electronics

Here's a TIP for YOU DUDE, why don't YOU go to College next semester and take a course on Western History. It seems you obviously need to brush up on yours. Who knows, I may see you on campus. :cool:
Google "post hoc ergo propter hoc", Brother Flounder.

Are you an idiot? If he never had the government aid to go to college, he would of never been able to learn anything that he did. That's not a logical fallacy, that's a fact.

Just because it doesn't suit your needs, doesn't mean you can't deny it.

But please, do tell me if he didn't go to college and do these military related jobs how he would of been able to help hundreds of millions of people in the same way that he did. Do, go on. I really want to hear this one. :cool:

Are you an idiot? If he never had the government aid to go to college, he would of never been able to learn anything that he did. That's not a logical fallacy, that's a fact.

But please, do tell me if he didn't go to college and do these military related jobs how he would of been able to help hundreds of millions of people in the same way that he did. Do, go on. I really want to hear this one. :cool:
Obviously, you're the idiot here.

Who's to say that he NEVER EVER would have learned what he did, from another source?

Best take that one to heart, Flounder.

Who's to say that he NEVER EVER would have learned what he did from another source?

You're not telling me how. You seemed to not realize it was due to Government programs and jobs that he was able to do this. You're not proving to me anything.

I gave direct evidence how the Government helped this man's life not only at first but the Mexican Government later on.

Two different Governments helped bring this man to the point where he was able to help hundreds of millions. That was a fact. I never said they were the only reason, I said they are a contributing reason. For you to deny history in favor of trying to keep your argument which is divided itself against at this point is both ridiculous and boggling.

Who's to say that he NEVER EVER would have learned what he did, from another source?

Best take that one to heart, Flounder.

How would he have gone to college? How about Vogel who helped him? How about the students who helped Vogel do his research? There is a reason the state college system was put into place, so people like Borlaug and Vogel who were not apart of the elite class could go to college.

Who's to say that he NEVER EVER would have learned what he did from another source?

You're not telling me how. You seemed to not realize it was due to Government programs and jobs that he was able to do this. You're not proving to me anything.

I gave direct evidence how the Government helped this man's life not only at first but the Mexican Government later on.

Two different Governments helped bring this man to the point where he was able to help hundreds of millions. That was a fact. I never said they were the only reason, I said they are a contributing reason. For you to deny history in favor of trying to keep your argument which is divided itself against at this point is both ridiculous and boggling.
That I'm not saying how is irrelevant.

When people want something bad enough, they find ways to get it.

That gubmint gave him a pathway is no evidence of anything other than gubmint gave him a pathway.

G'head....Google "post hoc ergo propter hoc" and comprehend the meaning.

That I'm not saying how is irrelevant.

When people want something bad enough, they find ways to get it.

That gubmint gave him a pathway is no evidence of anything other than gubmint gave him a pathway.

G'head....Google "post hoc ergo propter hoc" and comprehend the meaning.

Except you did not read what I posted. You just cry your latin logical fallacy bullshit.

From the wikipedia link:

finance his studies, Borlaug periodically had to put his education on hold and take a job. One of these jobs, in 1935, was as a leader in the Civilian Conservation Corps, working with the unemployed on U.S. federal projects. Many of the people who worked for him were starving. He later recalled, "I saw how food changed them ... All of this left scars on me".[10]

It doesn't matter how bad he wanted it. If he didn't have the money to get into college if there was no government aid then he wouldn't of been able to get into college. Plenty of people want things badly all the time, and their dreams or wishes do not come true.

Both Governments provided a direct pathway for Norman. It is likely that it would not be possible otherwise and you have not proved it would of been possible.

And that's a fact.

So, we've gone from college to soup lines.

goalposts.jpg

OK gang.....Just put those anywhere.

Dude, there's honestly no use in trying to debate with you reasonably on this. You seem to feel that admitting that it was due to the two Governments that Norman had the opportunity to do this which he probably wouldn't have otherwise is admitting that the Government is good.

And I know that's against your entire philosophy. So here's what I suggest we do. Just end it. You're just going to keep up the Animal House jokes, while not giving me any real posts with substances. I could post link after link and you still wouldn't read them truly.

Perhaps one day we can discuss this when you're ready to.

Edit: One final note, it wasn't moving the goalposts. I had previously mentioned that specific link and specific portion as part of his government job. However, you were not paying attention, which is you proving my point.

Last edited:
Honesty??....Serious?!?!?!???

You're taking anecdotal evidence, from Wiki no less, from someone you never met and whose circumstances you cannot verify.

Then there's the quiz I posted a few pages back.....Where did the outside support come from?...Santa Claus?...the Tooth Fairy?...a leprechaun?...Daddy Warbucks???

Who had to potentially starve, so those with whom Bourlaug was could eat?

Sheesh!

You truly are foolish if you believe that.

Norman Borlaug - Biography

When the Rockefeller and Ford Foundations in cooperation with the Mexican government established the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT), an autonomous international research training institute having an international board of trustees and staff, Dr. Borlaug was made director of its International Wheat Improvement Program. In this capacity he has been able to realize more fully a third objective, that of training young scientists in research and production methods. From his earliest days in Mexico he has, to be sure, carried on an intern program, but with the establishment of the Center, he has been able to reach out internationally. In the last seven years some 1940 young scientists from sixteen or so countries (the figures constantly move upward) have studied and worked at the Center.

And why is this man special specifically?

Norman Borlaug: The Man Who Saved More Human Lives Than Any Other Has Died - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

He saved hundreds of millions of lives and even more will be saved in the future due to his work. And who funded him? The Mexican Government along with some foundations.

Take that to the bank.

Sure and J. Robert Oppenheimer was also a wonderful scientist, "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." In the meantime take a look at our government. It has helped establish and even many times protects corporates like Monsanto/Cargill, DuPont, Syngenta and their subsidiaries. Hopefully more people will come to their senses and look at what is happening.

Food Safety News - Global Food Safety News & Information : Presented By Marler Clark LLP, PS - Victim Stories
Monsanto Appeal goes to Supreme Court - Food Safety News - Global Food Safety News & Information : Presented By Marler Clark LLP, PS
GM Crop Failure Petition 2009 Food Freedom
Three Approved GMOs Linked to Organ Damage Food Freedom
Monsanto GM Corn Linked to Organ Damage in Animals naked capitalism
Public-university researchers get cash for studying GMOs—and the shaft for studying organic ag | Grist

Kissinger: "Control oil and you control nations; control food and you control the people."

Next time you take a big slurp of milk, open a bag of Dorito's or even eat a samich consider what you are actually stuffing into your mouth. It's likely your hamburger, steak, chicken or pork came from a Cargill slaughter house and Monsanto grain fed cow.
Obama, Monsanto, and Hillary Clinton'... - **Genetically modified food watch** - tribe.net

I do hope you also take a good look at the medical subsidiaries owned by Monsanto while your searching for truth, that is if you are searching for truth.

Babble on...

Sure and J. Robert Oppenheimer was also a wonderful scientist, "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

Just going to stop you there for the minute. You do realize without the Atomic Bombs that the U.S. would of had to invade Japan resulting in massive losses on both sides and Japan would of been destroyed even further.

Looking at the other options, the atomic bombs were the quickest and more humane way to end the war.

Are New Purple Hearts Being Manufactured to Meet the Demand?

In 2000, for the first time in years, the government ordered a new supply of Purple Hearts. The old supply, manufactured in anticipation of the invasion of the home islands of Japan during World War II, had begun to run low.

The decoration, which goes to American troops wounded in battle and the families of those killed in action, had been only one of countless thousands of supplies produced for the planned 1945 invasion of Japan, which military leaders believed would last until almost 1947.

Fortunately, the invasion never took place. All the other implements of that war -- tanks and LSTs, bullets and K-rations -- have long since been sold, scrapped or used up, but these medals, struck for their grandfathers, are still being pinned on the chests of young soldiers.

Remarkably, some 120,000 Purple Hearts are still in the hands of the Armed Services and are not only stocked at military supply depots, but also kept with major combat units and at field hospitals so they can be awarded without delay.

But although great numbers of the World War II stock are still ready for use, the recent production of 9,000 new copies was ordered for the most simple of bureaucratic reasons. So many medals had been transferred to the Armed Services that the government organization responsible for supplying them had to replenish its own inventory.

In all, approximately 1,506,000 Purple Hearts were produced for the war effort with production reaching its peak as the Armed Services geared up for the invasion of Japan. Despite wastage, pilfering and items that were simply lost, the number of decorations was approximately 495,000 after the war.

500,000 Purple Hearts manufactured in estimating the casualties that would of occurred due to the Invasion of Japan. Sit there for a moment and think about that.

So Dogbert are you using your mental justification to say it is fine and dandy to purposely destroy mankind now using food?

So Dogbert are you using your mental justification to say it is fine and dandy to purposely destroy mankind now using food?

I'm not trying to justify anything. I'm simply saying that you have a very black and white point of view on Oppenheimer. As of the present, indirectly, he has saved millions of lives.

Oppenheimer did his job and served his country on the Manhattan Project. And actually, the destroyer of both worlds comments was the one that he thought of in his head. He actually said the following when he first witnessed what he did:

"If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the mighty one."

It's from the Hindu holy book, the Bhagavad Gita (sp?)

He also did work outside the Manhattan Project that if he lived long enough, would of garnered him a Nobel Prize. So yes, he was a great scientist.

Well, I do like putting postage stamps on my testicles and having my lovers lick them for me.

Dude would yell 'post hoc' if a man said the hole in his stomach was from the bullet that just went through him.

oh yeah, and if your parents don't have to live with you after they retire, you can thank social security and medicaid for their autonomy...and your privacy.

My parents have worked hard all their lives, they won't need government hand outs and they certainly don't need my help.

Forum List

Back