What does the Constitution mean to you?

So your contention is the electoral college? Is that your beef? So you think that these giant liberal hubs like New York, LA, Austin..etc…should be able to always have their way, and smaller states are just supposed to never have a say?
The original intent there wasn't to preserve the say of smaller states, it was there to assure slave states that their political interests would be preserved. Vermont, Rhode Island, Delaware were all smaller but it was the existence of slaves that awarded you extra electoral votes.
That is so wrong. The cotus IS future proof, it’s just that, when we started going away from its actually purpose, and everyone started wanting something from it that it was never intended to give, that people started taking issue.
You basically said nothing here. "Going away from it's acutal purpose?" You have an opinion about what that is but that's it. So does everyone else. You say it's to leave little impact on people's lives but when I challenged you on that point you ran off.

Like the supreme court’s ruling from last year that stated domestic abusers can’t be barred from own guns because no laws against besting your wife existed in 1779.

Right

What does that have to do with the constitution?

The original intent there wasn't to preserve the say of smaller states, it was there to assure slave states that their political interests would be preserved. Vermont, Rhode Island, Delaware were all smaller but it was the existence of slaves that awarded you extra electoral votes.

You basically said nothing here. "Going away from it's acutal purpose?" You have an opinion about what that is but that's it. So does everyone else. You say it's to leave little impact on people's lives but when I challenged you on that point you ran off.

The electoral college was formed because, frankly, they couldn’t come up with anything better. There were several reasons for the creation of the electoral college, and allowing slave holding states to leverage the three fifths compromise was one of them. However, we remedied that by the 13th amendment and those states’ extra delegates were done away with because of that.

You say it's to leave little impact on people's lives but when I challenged you on that point you ran off.

What challenge? Did you ask a question that I missed? I haven’t “run off” from anything.

Original intent of a dead document.

This

Like the supreme court’s ruling from last year that stated domestic abusers can’t be barred from own guns because no laws against besting your wife existed in 1779.

Has nothing to do with the cotus, at all. That’s a justice talking about the lack of laws. Even if the cotus did talk about it, then it’s a problem for an amendment process, not just completely ignoring it.

Ok, how about this, Article 4 section 4 says that the United States shall guarantee to every state a republican form of government. So if we’re going just interpret it as we see fit, the maybe the interpretation should be, if you are a democrat, you shouldn’t be allowed to vote…since you are violating the constitutions directive to GUARANTEE a republican form of government, and your vote is in contradiction to that.

So, yeah, we should start a petition to prevent democrats from voting! How’s that for interpretation?

😏

This

Has nothing to do with the cotus, at all. That’s a justice talking about the lack of laws. Even if the cotus did talk about it, then it’s a problem for an amendment process, not just completely ignoring it.

Ok, how about this, Article 4 section 4 says that the United States shall guarantee to every state a republican form of government. So if we’re going just interpret it as we see fit, the maybe the interpretation should be, if you are a democrat, you shouldn’t be allowed to vote…since you are violating the constitutions directive to GUARANTEE a republican form of government, and your vote is in contradiction to that.

So, yeah, we should start a petition to prevent democrats from voting! How’s that for interpretation?

😏
Has everything to do with conservative dead document believers fucking up the present.

Ok, then what’s your alternative? You don’t like the cotus. What’s your better solution?
I don’t like the dead document justices on court trying to talk to dead people.

Or being bought by Harold crow.

I don’t like the dead document justices on court trying to talk to dead people.

Or being bought by Harold crow.

Ok, so let’s just throw the cotus out. It’s gone. Now, what is your solution? What is your replacement idea?

Ok, so let’s just throw the cotus out. It’s gone. Now, what is your solution? What is your replacement idea?
I believe in our system including the Supreme Court. I would term limit justices and require ABA standards for justices. The former fuckup nominated many unqualified and political hacks to courts.

The US Constitution is what may be called a "living, breathing document", subject to interpretation as appropriate.

Disputes oftentimes arise over what constitutes "appropriate" in a given context but it is not a locked-in Napoleonic Code.

I'm all for "originalism" or "literalism" when practicable but the Founders intended it to be amended as time goes by.

Our next Big Constitutional Challenge may very well be to determine whether it is time to call a new Constitutional Convention.

Personally... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"... the Constitution has held us together for 240-ish years... and it ain't broke.

Still...

There are some pressing society-at-large questions that may only be fixable by Constitutional overhaul rather than Amendments.

Tough call.
The Rosewater director highlighted Trump’s disdain for the first amendment as well as his interest in becoming a dictator, even if it’s only for one day as well as his interest in getting the military to shoot peaceful protestors.

Forum List

Back