What does "God-Given Rights" mean?

Our rights are those that we give ourselves, through our government and our conscience. Our basic civil rights are those given by our constitution and laws. Those rights deprived are those limited by law.

Religion has nothing to do with it, in a secular society. Our rights are greater, since we rid ourselves of religions deciding them for us.

Wrong again.

Tell me something, if rights are something we give ourselves why do other primates have an innate sense of fair play, of right and wrong? I really don't want to rehash the same arguments again, so I will just point you to the thread where I already showed that right and wrong are not something we made up.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...me-from-nature-and-god-as-paul-ryan-says.html

Primates have a sense of fair play? You're an idiot. Rights are certainly manufactured, hopefully using logic and secular ethics. They're not something that God gave us. If I believe the bible thumpers, God takes away rights, and has done so since Adam and Eve sought out knowledge.

I am an idiot because two separate scientific studies on two different species of primates have proven that they have an innate sense of right and wrong? Yet you, who reject the science without even looking, are a genius.

Damn, I love being an right wing anti science nut, it makes it so much easier when someone posts something I disagree with, I don't have to pretend than science actually works.

Using wiki for an apt description:

"The divine right of kings, or divine-right theory of kingship, is a political and religious doctrine of royal and political legitimacy. It asserts that a monarch is subject to no earthly authority, deriving the right to rule directly from the will of God. The king is thus not subject to the will of his people...."

So what made the believers of that religious source of right(s) wrong?

Where in the Bible, if we use the Bible as a reference source of what we are led to believe God believes,

does God favor the democratic over the autocratic? Where does God endorse the Bill of Rights, or any such equivalent or similarity?

No, because no one is saying religion is a source of rights. What we are saying is that government is not the source of rights. That, as usual, makes you wrong.

Our rights are those that we give ourselves, through our government and our conscience. Our basic civil rights are those given by our constitution and laws. Those rights deprived are those limited by law.

Religion has nothing to do with it, in a secular society. Our rights are greater, since we rid ourselves of religions deciding them for us.

That is backward thought. Absent government, your rights still exist though they are in danger of infringement by those that are stronger or in greater number. All government does is ensure that those rights are protected or not. As others have said in this thread, those rights that are unalienable are so because they exist as a condition of being human.

If government or society ‘gave’ those rights to you then you would have no such rights if you were stranded alone on an island. That is clearly not the case.

Was the divine right of kings an inalienable right? It came from God...

Self-determination is not removable from a person, inherently. The unalienable construct refers to this.

Jefferson says this is from our creator, pointing out that it is part of the human condition, and goes on to describe how government is given mandate by the governed to standardize and sort out rights.

"The divine right of kings, or divine-right theory of kingship, is a political and religious doctrine of royal and political legitimacy. It asserts that a monarch is subject to no earthly authority, deriving the right to rule directly from the will of God. The king is thus not subject to the will of his people...."

Where in the Bible, if we use the Bible as a reference source of what we are led to believe God believes,

does God favor the democratic over the autocratic? Where does God endorse the Bill of Rights, or any such equivalent or similarity?

Again, backwards thought. God does not ‘give’ those rights through any religious text. It is given by ‘god’ or by nature as a simple fact of being a human with conscious thought as dblack already pointed out.

Another take on this is that all of these freedoms boil down to one freedom. The freedom of thought. In other words "Free will". Before any action we take we think and decide on a path to take and then we take it. If there is a law against speaking on street corner, then we have a choice to either speak or not speak. If we speak we may go to jail but we have that option. This is what unalienable means in practical terms. It does not mean that there won't be repercussions for exercising that right. Government can never take away that freedom of choice no matter what laws they enact. Even the most oppressive regimes have political dissidents that are willing to lay down their lives for liberty. One could argue that free will comes from God but in the end it doesn't matter because it is a fact that we have it. You can either agree with me or disagree with me but the fact is that either way you are making a choice and I can't stop you.

OOoohh Kaayyy! Yes!

The 'source' of 'rights' is the human mind.

Last edited:
Another take on this is that all of these freedoms boil down to one freedom. The freedom of thought. In other words "Free will". Before any action we take we think and decide on a path to take and then we take it. If there is a law against speaking on street corner, then we have a choice to either speak or not speak. If we speak we may go to jail but we have that option. This is what unalienable means in practical terms. It does not mean that there won't be repercussions for exercising that right. Government can never take away that freedom of choice no matter what laws they enact. Even the most oppressive regimes have political dissidents that are willing to lay down their lives for liberty. One could argue that free will comes from God but in the end it doesn't matter because it is a fact that we have it. You can either agree with me or disagree with me but the fact is that either way you are making a choice and I can't stop you.
Interesting. You must also believe committing murder is an unalienable right as we can choose to commit murder and pay the penalty.

What does "God-Given Rights" mean?

It means, when you hear somebody speak of them with reverence that that speaker is a BELIEVER in GOD.

That's basically all it means.

How is that any different than if God gave us "rights"? He would still have to enforce that somehow.

I challenge you to explain how God is going to enforce the entitlements He gave us, and you respond that He has to enforce them. That is circular logic, and only proves you can't debate.

I didn't "step in it." And yes, I maintain that "God" in the Abrahamic sense does not exist, because I have a different belief. But that is pretty irrelevant here. The question is no whether such God exists. The question regards the nature of rights, under the assumption that they are "God" given.

I am not constrained to argue within your flawed world view. You actually have to prove that God given rights are an entitlement before I have to deal with how that works in the real world. Since that would require that you prove that God exists and that He actively interferes in the world, something you cannot do, your question is not valid.

Mate, you're talking to a Hispanic! Live in South Texas for a while, and see how many Hispanics are lined up at social services looking for food stamps. See how many Mexicans are coming into the US illegally because they think that the fact that they want to be here automatically entitles them to be here, to get free medical treatment at hospitals, have the entire country speak THEIR language, etc. You think the reason illegals want citizenship is because they want to actually become Americans? HAAA! It's because they want a slice of all the benefits they think they're already entitled to.

Your claim of being Hispanic does not automatically negate you being a racist. I personally know one black man that hates blacks because they are all drug addicts and live on welfare.

Wouldn't that qualify as a confession????

323.png

By the way, I grew up in El Paso, the largest border crossing in the country, there is nothing you can tell me about Hispanics I do not already know.You are a racist, get over it.

Ah, yes......Ground Zero for "Reefer Madness"!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IueIgHiwtfg]Grass: The History Of Marijuana [Full Documentary] - YouTube[/ame]​

Interesting. You must also believe committing murder is an unalienable right as we can choose to commit murder and pay the penalty.

Exactly! It's just not a freedom we'd protect because it directly conflicts with the freedom of others. This gets right at the core of the thread. Most of us are misunderstanding what 'unalienable' or 'god-given' means in context.

We've all grown up hearing 'unlienable rights' as something akin to 'sacrosanct' or, as someone else said, 'untouchable'. But I don't think that is what Jefferson meant at all in using the phrase. Unalienable freedom is the natural state of human existence (Free Will, as LfA points out). He is assigning government the task of, as much as possible, securing that state of freedom. Again, the point in calling out freedom as 'unalienable' was to emphasize that it wasn't a grant from authority - it's something we have before we even bother with government. We create government to enhance and secure the freedoms we already have.

"...committing murder is an unalienable right as we can choose to commit murder and pay the penalty."

The nuance is in a word. 'Right' is sometimes (and we've seen it in these threads) used more or less as a synonym for 'capacity'. Either way, choice is what is the common element.
Everyone chooses how she/he interchanges with 'others'. The choice may appear to be implicit, inculcated, 'necessary', etc., yet, there it is.
Some choices are more evident. Going and purchasing an arm, waiting for someone and then committing murder is all choice, even if we think it is the choosing done my a sick mind. Killing is an option we all have, nonetheless, and it is entirely possible for one to consciously kill another and be willing to take the consequences. That's the slavery of freedom; one cannot escape choice and one cannot escape the consequences.
We have capacities. Not using them can be a choice and is indeed one of which we avail ourselves frequently and quite rightly. Other capacities we should use more often.
We use the word 'right' for one category of concepts and 'capacity' for another.

Last edited:

Exactly! It's just not a freedom we'd protect because it directly conflicts with the freedom of others. This gets right at the core of the thread. Most of us are misunderstanding what 'unalienable' or 'god-given' means in context.

We've all grown up hearing 'unlienable rights' as something akin to 'sacrosanct' or, as someone else said, 'untouchable'. But I don't think that is what Jefferson meant at all in using the phrase. Unalienable freedom is the natural state of human existence (Free Will, as LfA points out). He is assigning government the task of, as much as possible, securing that state of freedom. Again, the point in calling out freedom as 'unalienable' was to emphasize that it wasn't a grant from authority - it's something we have before we even bother with government. We create government to enhance and secure the freedoms we already have.

Maybe you aren't making your point well enough for me to understand, but I can't see how we have a right to commit murder. We don't have a right to do anything that harms another but other than that we should have any other right protected by the government.

Was the divine right of kings an inalienable right? It came from God...

Self-determination is not removable from a person, inherently. The unalienable construct refers to this.

Jefferson says this is from our creator, pointing out that it is part of the human condition, and goes on to describe how government is given mandate by the governed to standardize and sort out rights.

You could have a misunderstanding of Jefferson's use of Creator. Natural rights are not by any edict from a god, paper or person.. That's just the way it is. We are able to contemplate and act at our own pleasure, whether we like it or not, and we cant transfer that around. A good christian would attribute that to God. i don't think that describes Jefferson though.

Autocratic governance still struggles with Natural Rights. The challenge of government is to cage, combat or coax adhesion to legal rights boundaries.

Democracy just makes mandate more transparent. Maybe Jesus would like that. Couldn't call that one.

Correct.

For our purposes though, and in the context of creating a harmonious society... your right to swing your fist ends at my nose. We can't look at unalienable rights and the government's responsibility to secure them without thinking about what it is that we're trying to accomplish. If we were all alone on a desert island with no other nose in proximity of our fist, then yeah.. our rights are unlimited, swing away. But that's not the reality of the situation. The reality of the situation is that we ALL are possessed of the same rights, but in the context of civil society, we can't exercise them at the expense of another. Hence the limits.

So yeah, the guy who is slandered does have a right to be left alone, just as the guy who does the slandering has the right to free speech. But it's the aggressor who actively abrogates the rights of another who gets into trouble when the rights of two people come into conflict. The slanderer's swing has met with someone else's nose.

Well, yes of course but I don’t think you have to view it in the resect that you have a right to not be bothered because then the list of rights that you have would be never ending. Do I also have a right to not have a plane land on my head? How about a right to not have your dog defecates on my lawn? Sure, these are things that I should not be subject to but not because I have a RIGHT for those things to not happen. In the context of unalienable rights, the entire concept is lost as unalienable rights are a construct of the individual alone without a second party. Essentally, I am saying that you do NOT have a right to not be slanders but another also does not have the right to use their right to speech to harm you.

Put another way, I can, in fact, legally slander you as long as it causes no harm (apart from the semantics argument). For instance, I can call you a moronic sycophant that likes to eat small children for breakfast. None of it is true but none of that actually causes you harm. You have no right to not be slandered. What I lack is the right to harm you with my rights a la the fist and nose analogy that you used.

Why does your right to freedom have to have a cap? That's what the 9th is for, because it's simply not feasible to list every unalienable right that a person has.

I believe people DO have a right to go about their pursuit of happiness unmolested by others. In our example of slander, the incursion wouldn't be actionable until there are damages because damages are proof that an abrogation of rights has occurred. You cite that in terms of "harm", but how can you harm somebody without violating his rights? :eusa_eh:
Why would slandering a person be actionable by government unless someone's rights had been transgressed? It seems to me, that in a governmental system, whereby the authorization to govern is based upon securing the rights of citizens, any laws which serve another purpose would be viewed as arbitrary and illegitimate.

Another litmus test would be morality. Is it moral to drop an offensive epithet on someone as in your example above, even if damages cannot be proved. Is it conducive to a harmonious society? Would you feel good about yourself for doing it? Would you do it in front of your grandma? If not, why not? Why would those kind of epithets be socially unacceptable? Are our social conventions entirely arbitrary, or do they have purpose?

Wrong again.

Tell me something, if rights are something we give ourselves why do other primates have an innate sense of fair play, of right and wrong? I really don't want to rehash the same arguments again, so I will just point you to the thread where I already showed that right and wrong are not something we made up.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...me-from-nature-and-god-as-paul-ryan-says.html

Primates have a sense of fair play? You're an idiot. Rights are certainly manufactured, hopefully using logic and secular ethics. They're not something that God gave us. If I believe the bible thumpers, God takes away rights, and has done so since Adam and Eve sought out knowledge.

I am an idiot because two separate scientific studies on two different species of primates have proven that they have an innate sense of right and wrong? Yet you, who reject the science without even looking, are a genius.

Damn, I love being an right wing anti science nut, it makes it so much easier when someone posts something I disagree with, I don't have to pretend than science actually works.

Is it right that most mammals will kill the off spring of a female, so she'll go into heat again? Neither right nor wrong. You're a complete idiot.

No, because no one is saying religion is a source of rights. What we are saying is that government is not the source of rights. That, as usual, makes you wrong.

That is backward thought. Absent government, your rights still exist though they are in danger of infringement by those that are stronger or in greater number. All government does is ensure that those rights are protected or not. As others have said in this thread, those rights that are unalienable are so because they exist as a condition of being human.

If government or society ‘gave’ those rights to you then you would have no such rights if you were stranded alone on an island. That is clearly not the case.

Name a single right you've read in the Bible. Free speech? Nope, God limits that with stoning. A right of privacy? Nope, God wants woman who enjoy their sexuality stoned to death, unless there's a desire to procreate. God gives men a pass. Want to have some pulled pork bbq? Nope, God wants you stoned to death on that one too. Want to punch out your old man, for beating your mother? God says die.

Correct.

How about those that God commands us to murder?

But (as I see it) you are both looking at this backward. It has nothing do with the ‘right to not be slandered’ at all. It has to do with your right to free speech. You have that right, it is inherent and it can’t be taken away but it CAN, and in fact is, limited when you use that right in such a way as it harms others. I think that was the point. Speech is an unalienable right yet is limited anyway and there is little to no opposition to this. Whether or not you are from the ‘god’ camp or not.

For our purposes though, and in the context of creating a harmonious society... your right to swing your fist ends at my nose. We can't look at unalienable rights and the government's responsibility to secure them without thinking about what it is that we're trying to accomplish. If we were all alone on a desert island with no other nose in proximity of our fist, then yeah.. our rights are unlimited, swing away. But that's not the reality of the situation. The reality of the situation is that we ALL are possessed of the same rights, but in the context of civil society, we can't exercise them at the expense of another. Hence the limits.

So yeah, the guy who is slandered does have a right to be left alone, just as the guy who does the slandering has the right to free speech. But it's the aggressor who actively abrogates the rights of another who gets into trouble when the rights of two people come into conflict. The slanderer's swing has met with someone else's nose.

Why do people think that legal rights and natural rights are the same fracking thing?

Slander is a legal concept, not a natural one. It involves one person saying something that the legal system says is unlawful. That cannot happen outside of a society that has a government structure that makes slander actionable.

What you guys are talking about at this point are human characteristics. I would say that's wholly different from unalienable rights. We can't separate unalienable rights from the goal of a harmonious society because they simply don't have meaning outside that context. If you're alone on a desert island, you don't NEED a "right" to exercise your freedom. There's no one else there to recognize it or attempt to impede it. Your right to swing your fist ends at my nose. If my nose isn't there, you don't need a "right" to swing your fist.

It was the Age of Reason that shaped much of the thinking of that period. By using reason they decided the universe operated on laws, laws that Copernicus, Kepler Newton and others had discovered. If there were laws they were nature's laws, and nature's laws ruled the universe and the earth itself. But did nature's laws also apply to people, and to governments? Absolutely, they reasoned, and so the social contract theory of how governments had been formed came into being. Jefferson was a product of the Age of Reason and of natural laws, as were a few other founders. The Declaration if Independence reflects that natural law.

Forum List

Back