What Do You Call A Chinese Woman...

...with one leg shorter than the other?

Irene.

You might be thinking Japanese. The Chinese don't have problems pronouncing the letter L.

Wrong.
And my thread is in response to the Chinese hacker who hijacked this forum temporarily.

Not wrong at all.

I speak Chinese.
No one can understand me when I speak Chinese.
Is your Mandarin so bad that even Chinese people don't understand you? LOL

Well... it depends. Usually it's me who can't understand them. I don't actually talk much Chinese to Chinese people.

I'm learning, not that high up. I can do the basics, I can write basic characters and read bits and bobs.

Irene.

You might be thinking Japanese. The Chinese don't have problems pronouncing the letter L.
If you hadn't written the above, frigidweirdo, I wouldn't have had any idea what he was talking about.

I'd have gotten it had the answer been "Eileen," though that answer would have worked without the ethnic association. Truly, I'm not sure why the joke needed any ethnic element.

Well, some people just think they're being smart with jokes

I was out one night and there was this guy who was drunk. He was trying to tell this joke about Penguins and Polar Bears and I was like, they live on the other side of the world from each other..... he was too drunk to be able to cope with such information.

These two, they must be a BLAST at parties. :eusa_eh: The suck is strong with these two.

Irene.

Wrong.
And my thread is in response to the Chinese hacker who hijacked this forum temporarily.

Not wrong at all.

I speak Chinese.

Well... it depends. Usually it's me who can't understand them. I don't actually talk much Chinese to Chinese people.

I'm learning, not that high up. I can do the basics, I can write basic characters and read bits and bobs.
I can read and write one character, but I can chat about basic things -- drinking games and other socializing activities, "bar talk," shopping, traveling, the weather, compliments, restaurant ordering, etc. -- and I can (or at least I could when I was in the PRC for at least a day or two every week) pick up bits and pieces of complex topics.

I wasn't trying to learn Mandarin, however. I sought to understand people and to be understood on a basic expression level. Since I knew I'd never have to write or read hanzi, I didn't bother to learn any of them.

Irene.

If you hadn't written the above, frigidweirdo, I wouldn't have had any idea what he was talking about.

I'd have gotten it had the answer been "Eileen," though that answer would have worked without the ethnic association. Truly, I'm not sure why the joke needed any ethnic element.
It's the Chinese woman sequel to the woman with one shorter leg joke. That one is Eileen.

Irene.

I was out one night and there was this guy who was drunk. He was trying to tell this joke about Penguins and Polar Bears and I was like, they live on the other side of the world from each other..... he was too drunk to be able to cope with such information.

These two, they must be a BLAST at parties. :eusa_eh: The suck is strong with these two.
It started as a spontaneous joke in response to a forum hijacking by a chinese hacker and it became a petty bickering fest. Unbelievable.

Wrong.

Not wrong at all.

I speak Chinese.

I can read and write one character, but I can chat about basic things -- drinking games and other socializing activities, "bar talk," shopping, traveling, the weather, compliments, restaurant ordering, etc. -- and I can (or at least I could when I was in the PRC for at least a day or two every week) pick up bits and pieces of complex topics.

I wasn't trying to learn Mandarin, however. I sought to understand people and to be understood on a basic expression level. Since I knew I'd never have to write or read hanzi, I didn't bother to learn any of them.

Chinese takes a lot more effort. I lived in Spain and didn't actively set out to learn Spanish but could speak it by the end of my time there.

Chinese is different, maybe it's that I'm older and less willing to punish myself, or just lazy, I don't know, but it's been a long painful process of not being understood.

Irene.

Wrong.

Not wrong at all.

I speak Chinese.
Not talking about Chinese. Talking about Chinese speaking English.

It doesn't matter.

I speak Chinese, I talk to Chinese people quite a lot. You learn what the issues are between the two languages. The Chinese simply don't have a problem with Ls and Rs.

You based your based on ignorance, now you're trying to squirm out of it by using more ignorance. It isn't going to work.

Some things are just fact.

Irene.

It started as a spontaneous joke in response to a forum hijacking by a chinese hacker and it became a petty bickering fest. Unbelievable.

It's what happens when you get your facts wrong.

Maybe keep your bad racist jokes for the pub where everyone's drunk enough and dense enough to not call you out on your ignorance.

Wrong.

Not wrong at all.

I speak Chinese.

Chinese takes a lot more effort. I lived in Spain and didn't actively set out to learn Spanish but could speak it by the end of my time there.

Chinese is different, maybe it's that I'm older and less willing to punish myself, or just lazy, I don't know, but it's been a long painful process of not being understood.
Chinese takes a lot more effort.
??? Mandarin takes more effort than Cantonese.

Mandarin is very easy to speak. I'm sure that if you're taking a class of some sort, the instructor is "nutso" about the tones. If one just starts speaking it in a "live fire" situation, one who's clearly just learning to speak Chinese -- Mandarin or Cantonese -- need not worry about the tones. As goes basic pronunciation, I encountered one sound I simply could not accurately utter. (I can't say why that is. Perhaps having taken French and Spanish (Castilian) has something to do with it? I don't know.)

As go the tones, we have substantively the same things in English:
  • "polish" and "Polish"
  • "read" (Read the book) and "read" (I read the book last night.)
As a native speaker, if someone whom you knew was a non-native speaker mispronounced "polish" or "read," would you be able to figure out from the context of the conversation what they probably mean? At least well enough to know how to ask a suitable question so that you can become sure of what they mean? I suspect you can and would. So it is in China when one is speaking in one's broken Chinese and just learning. One's buddies will periodically help one along when it's necessary and not make a big deal about it when it's not.

When I was in the PRC, my translator was the person who helped me. She very reassuringly told me when I first started Mandarin, in essence:
Don't worry about the tones. Just try to say the word you want to say. Eventually you'll get the tones, but it's easier to say the word the way you say it and then learn to say it slightly differently, than it is to worry about saying it the right way from the start. You'll spend too much time worrying about what your saying and not enough time actually communicating.​
From that moment on, Mandarin became easy to speak. I'm sure I wasn't speaking eloquent Mandarin, but then as a non-native speaker who was just trying to be personable and "do my thing," I didn't need to. Had I stayed longer, I'm sure I'd have elevated the quality of my Mandarin, but the quality needed to be "functional" moving about in a PRC city is nowhere near that level.

Now, if your goal is to speak "diplomat grade" Mandarin or Cantonese, well, that could be difficult. I really wouldn't know.

Not wrong at all.

I speak Chinese.

Mandarin is very easy to speak. I'm sure that if you're taking a class of some sort, the instructor is "nutso" about the tones. If one just starts speaking it in a "live fire" situation, one who's clearly just learning to speak Chinese -- Mandarin or Cantonese -- need not worry about the tones. As goes basic pronunciation, I encountered one sound I simply could not accurately utter. (I can't say why that is. Perhaps having taken French and Spanish (Castilian) has something to do with it? I don't know.)

• "polish" and "Polish"
As a native speaker, if someone whom you knew was a non-native speaker mispronounced "polish" or "read," would you be able to figure out from the context of the conversation what they probably mean? At least well enough to know how to ask a suitable question so that you can become sure of what they mean? I suspect you can and would. So it is in China when one is speaking in one's broken Chinese and just learning. One's buddies will periodically help one along when it's necessary and not make a big deal about it when it's not.

When I was in the PRC, my translator was the person who helped me. She very reassuringly told me when I first started Mandarin, in essence:
Don't worry about the tones. Just try to say the word you want to say. Eventually you'll get the tones, but it's easier to say the word the way you say it and then learn to say it slightly differently, than it is to worry about saying it the right way from the start. You'll spend too much time worrying about what your saying and not enough time actually communicating.​
From that moment on, Mandarin became easy to speak. I'm sure I wasn't speaking eloquent Mandarin, but then as a non-native speaker who was just trying to be personable and "do my thing," I didn't need to. Had I stayed longer, I'm sure I'd have elevated the quality of my Mandarin, but the quality needed to be "functional" moving about in a PRC city is nowhere near that level.

Now, if your goal is to speak "diplomat grade" Mandarin or Cantonese, well, that could be difficult. I really wouldn't know.

No, Chinese, Cantonese, Mandarin, whatever, takes more effort than Spanish.

The problem I had with the tones was that I didn't set out to learn them properly. I didn't have a teacher or anything like that, just trying to do it myself. I've learnt to do them more or less now.

With German my biggest problem was remembering if something was der, die or das. Usually I'd ignore it because it's hard to remember.

Chinese with the tones I have that problem. Is it 1st tone or 3rd tone for this. Practice makes perfect, but with say, Spanish, you don't really have that. La and el are more or less logical.

I also had a problem with phrasal verbs with German, if a verb starts with the same same combination of letters, like auf or an, then I'd get confused a lot. Spanish doesn't do that at all.

Chinese has a lot of things that look similar in pinyin. Gei is a great one, there's only one word with gei.

But huo, you have perhaps, fire, live, meals, money, capture, be puzzled, misfortune, much, clear, holmium, and loads more. Maybe 40 different characters than can be huo, some of the huo characters can have two different tones too which change the meaning. Then you have words which can go with that.

For some people the lack of difficult grammar makes it easy, for me, as a visual learner, rather than audio, it can be a massive minefield.

It's what happens when you get your facts wrong.

Maybe keep your bad racist jokes for the pub where everyone's drunk enough and dense enough to not call you out on your ignorance.

Good LORD! Shut up and go away if you don't like jokes! Nobody will miss you. You are like an unwanted guest.

• "polish" and "Polish"

No, Chinese, Cantonese, Mandarin, whatever, takes more effort than Spanish.

The problem I had with the tones was that I didn't set out to learn them properly. I didn't have a teacher or anything like that, just trying to do it myself. I've learnt to do them more or less now.

With German my biggest problem was remembering if something was der, die or das. Usually I'd ignore it because it's hard to remember.

Chinese with the tones I have that problem. Is it 1st tone or 3rd tone for this. Practice makes perfect, but with say, Spanish, you don't really have that. La and el are more or less logical.

I also had a problem with phrasal verbs with German, if a verb starts with the same same combination of letters, like auf or an, then I'd get confused a lot. Spanish doesn't do that at all.

Chinese has a lot of things that look similar in pinyin. Gei is a great one, there's only one word with gei.

But huo, you have perhaps, fire, live, meals, money, capture, be puzzled, misfortune, much, clear, holmium, and loads more. Maybe 40 different characters than can be huo, some of the huo characters can have two different tones too which change the meaning. Then you have words which can go with that.

For some people the lack of difficult grammar makes it easy, for me, as a visual learner, rather than audio, it can be a massive minefield.

Nobody cares. Go start your own thread about yourself. No one else is interested in talking about you.

Irene.

Wrong.

Not wrong at all.

I speak Chinese.
Not talking about Chinese. Talking about Chinese speaking English.

It doesn't matter.

I speak Chinese, I talk to Chinese people quite a lot. You learn what the issues are between the two languages. The Chinese simply don't have a problem with Ls and Rs.

You based your based on ignorance, now you're trying to squirm out of it by using more ignorance. It isn't going to work.

Some things are just fact.

:blahblah: Holy hell.

Irene.

That's a leftist for you. Everyone knows they suck.

Forum List

Back