What Constitutes Racism To You?

Do you consider racism a problem today?

• Yes, it's a big problem.

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Yes, it's there, but not a big problem today.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • There's just the right of racism that exists today.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, racism is mostly a thing of the past, barely a problem today.

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • No, racism actually never existed. Much less today.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It’s a fair question, but the answer is very difficult to determine. In my personal life I don’t see racism. The only exposure I have to it is thru the news and social media, and with the preponderance of both of those, it is easy to assume there is more racism. The liberal mainstream media loves to report on racism, and real racist now have many social media conduits to voice there racism.

My conclusion- I have no personal evidence to suggest there is increasing racism, but I suspect most people think there is more due to the reasons (liberal media, social media) previously stated.

I would ask the OP, as a black man, do you experience more racism in your personal interactions outside of social media (like this forum) and news media?
Why is the answer difficult?

Is it because you live a totally white existence, free from any and all interactions w/blacks and/or other minorities?

Let's face it, racism is basically whites vs blacks. Minorities either side w/one or the other, and most w/sense opt to side w/whites, since they clearly see that blacks are oppressed, and nobody wants to a part of that.

Remember the white guy that screamed "You're treating me like a black person!!!" when he was being arrested? Proof of what I'm talking about.
How the hell could a white guy answer that question? How would they know?
Clearly that white guy felt he was being treated unfairly by the police.

Any everyone in American knows that blacks get treated unfairly by the police.

He knew he didn't want to be treated like how he sees blacks being treated.

That's why he said what he did.
I'm sorry, MarcATL. I wasn't specific enough in that post. I was actually answering the OP's question "Do you consider racism a problem today?"
Sometimes I get off in my own little world. Apologies.

It’s a fair question, but the answer is very difficult to determine. In my personal life I don’t see racism. The only exposure I have to it is thru the news and social media, and with the preponderance of both of those, it is easy to assume there is more racism. The liberal mainstream media loves to report on racism, and real racist now have many social media conduits to voice there racism.

My conclusion- I have no personal evidence to suggest there is increasing racism, but I suspect most people think there is more due to the reasons (liberal media, social media) previously stated.

I would ask the OP, as a black man, do you experience more racism in your personal interactions outside of social media (like this forum) and news media?

Is it because you live a totally white existence, free from any and all interactions w/blacks and/or other minorities?

Let's face it, racism is basically whites vs blacks. Minorities either side w/one or the other, and most w/sense opt to side w/whites, since they clearly see that blacks are oppressed, and nobody wants to a part of that.

Remember the white guy that screamed "You're treating me like a black person!!!" when he was being arrested? Proof of what I'm talking about.

I'm sorry, MarcATL. I wasn't specific enough in that post. I was actually answering the OP's question "Do you consider racism a problem today?"

I have not followed the conversation.

But it takes guts to admit when one feels they are/were wrong, IMO.

No one was wrong. I still don't think a white guy would know if racism is a problem today. They don't experience it (unless they're dishing it out). Marc, no doubt a bit puzzled, thought I was talking about a different situation.

No one was wrong. I still don't think a white guy would know if racism is a problem today. They don't experience it (unless they're dishing it out). Marc, no doubt a bit puzzled, thought I was talking about a different situation.

Okay, well then it takes guts to apologize.

As I said racism is a self fulfilling prophecy. The family was welcome, my friend was never pulled over before or since and his wife is white, people don’t yell the “N” word unless they are black and feel like they want to throw it in your face, by your own admission you believe that Trump is racist and by the transitive property I am too, there are many blacks, Asians, women in the financial sector my wife was taken aback. Her own husband said she was paranoid.

I ll Watch the video. Dinesh generally kills it in debates. But I ll have an open mind. Here is your biggest issue, Marc. Even if this country were super racist, what exactly would or could you do about it? I am a Jew. I know Many hate Jews. Idc. I just live my life. I cannot stop someone from hating Jews.
Very interesting statement/question.

I'll leave it at that.

No one has jurisdiction over the entire planet therefore no one can create or enforce a policy for the whole world. Generally they're formulated and enforced by individual nations and lower level governments.

Since the nationality of the African American members here on U.S. Message that I am familiar with are all American citizens (to the best of my knowledge) I always take their references to racism and race relations to be within the parameters of here in the United States and U.S. law.

There are plenty of laws, policies and procedures on the books that explicitedly and intentionally negatively impacted people of African descent based on the erroneous belief of the superiority of the white race and allegedl inferiority of the black race.

If you're an American citizen and you don't know this then I can ony assume that you are woefully ignorant of U.S. history or simply being disingenuous.

There are tons of people who think that just because something doesn't affect them personally then it's simply not an issue for anyone. More ignorance.

At first glance the action of white school bus driver Delores Davis in Coushatta, Louisiana seemed so preposterous that many took it as a sick joke. Davis made national news when she ordered a dozen black children to the back of her school bus. That ignited a firestorm of parent protest and rage. A shamed and embarrassed Red River Parish school board backpedaled fast and suspended Davis, promised an investigation, and ordered retraining for all bus drivers. Most chalked Davis’s silly, mindless act up to a bad case of one person’s insensitivity or just plain stupidity, and that it could only happen in a small, backwash town as Coushatta. That’s hardly a sign that Jim Crow segregation is alive again.

The bitter truth is that it never totally died. The popular myth is that the 1964 civil rights bill, and the torrent of voting rights laws, affirmative action rulings, state and federal court decisions, and anti-discrimination lawsuits, over the years swept all segregation laws into history’s dustbin. They didn’t. Three years after the 1964 civil rights bill ostensibly made legal segregation illegal, Southern cities tried to sneak laws onto the books upholding segregation. Sarasota, Florida, for instance, passed a city ordinance that authorized the police to arrest interracial bathers from the city’s beaches. Though the Supreme Court outlawed miscegenation laws in dozens of states, some states kept the laws on the books for decades after. It took a voter referendum in Alabama in 2000 to repeal the state’s anti-interracial marriage law. And even then, 40 percent of the voters backed the law.

Six years later, Alabama, and nearly ten other states keep Jim Crow laws on their books. Not all the states are in the South, and despite public embarrassment, and repeated demands to cleanse the books of them, state legislators, and even voters have resisted taking any action. While the laws are unenforceable, they aren’t laughable, antique relics of a long buried racial past. They insult and degrade, and have had and still have a corrosive affect on law and public policy. In Georgia teachers that taught at once segregated private schools are eligible to collect state pensions, and as far as we know many of them are.

Continued here
POWERFUL!!!!!

giphy.gif

You're good.

No need to apologize, but thank you.

As I said racism is a self fulfilling prophecy. The family was welcome, my friend was never pulled over before or since and his wife is white, people don’t yell the “N” word unless they are black and feel like they want to throw it in your face, by your own admission you believe that Trump is racist and by the transitive property I am too, there are many blacks, Asians, women in the financial sector my wife was taken aback. Her own husband said she was paranoid.

I ll Watch the video. Dinesh generally kills it in debates. But I ll have an open mind. Here is your biggest issue, Marc. Even if this country were super racist, what exactly would or could you do about it? I am a Jew. I know Many hate Jews. Idc. I just live my life. I cannot stop someone from hating Jews.
Very interesting statement/question.

I'll leave it at that.

So you won't answer it? Are you serious? I watched the conversation. Was not really a debate as there was not a moderator. I think both made very valid points. I wish Roland didn't interrupt Dinesh so frequently.

So you won't answer it? Are you serious? I watched the conversation. Was not really a debate as there was not a moderator. I think both made very valid points. I wish Roland didn't interrupt Dinesh so frequently.
The answer is as simple as the question was stupid...

Same thing I'm doing now...speak out against it.

The answer is as simple as the question was stupid...

Same thing I'm doing now...speak out against it.

You missed the 2nd half of my post I see. Do you not bother reading. Say you hated Jews (I am not saying you do or don't). Do you not realize, I am being kind (last warning since we were being civil and you called me stupid for no reason), that no matter what I say to you, you will still continue to hate Jews and actually may hate them more for me preaching to you.

There is ZERO I can do to change your mind. How do you think you will change the mind of those who are racists vs. African Americans? I am being genuine here. By race baiting them on sites such as these? You just make it worse.

My kids' school had a swastika drawn on a wall. Likely some stupid kid. The next week the school brought in Holocaust survivors to discuss the horrors. The next day there were 4x as many swastikas. People don't care. All you are doing is adding fuel to the fire.

He is not puzzled. His stock and trade is attacking whites and screaming about white privilege. Every time you defend his childishness, you encourage his behavior. He is the most racist person on this forum and he likes to pretend to be an intellect. He is a phony.

You missed the 2nd half of my post I see. Do you not bother reading. Say you hated Jews (I am not saying you do or don't). Do you not realize, I am being kind (last warning since we were being civil and you called me stupid for no reason), that no matter what I say to you, you will still continue to hate Jews and actually may hate them more for me preaching to you.

There is ZERO I can do to change your mind. How do you think you will change the mind of those who are racists vs. African Americans? I am being genuine here. By race baiting them on sites such as these? You just make it worse.

My kids' school had a swastika drawn on a wall. Likely some stupid kid. The next week the school brought in Holocaust survivors to discuss the horrors. The next day there were 4x as many swastikas. People don't care. All you are doing is adding fuel to the fire.
I don't agree with that premise. I reject it out hand

That's like saying fighting crime, actually brings MORE crime.

Do you see how that is stupid?.

BTW, I said the question was stupid, didn't call you stupid.

Last edited:
I watched the conversation. Was not really a debate as there was not a moderator. I think both made very valid points. I wish Roland didn't interrupt Dinesh so frequently.
That was ONLY done to correct Dinesh.

You wouldn't allow anyone to spew in-factual statements to you in a debate, would you?

Dinesh had tons of facts wrong, and/or simply not enough facts.

So Roland corrected him on that.

And he accepted that he didn't have the facts, so it was rightfully done.

I don't agree with that premise. I reject it out hand

That's like saying fighting crime, actually brings MORE crime.

Do you see how that is stupid?.

BTW, said the question was stupid, didn't call you stupid.

Wrong. Crime is illegal and can be easily quantified. Racism is neither illegal nor is it always visible. It could be subjective.

Let's continue my point. You, Marc, dislike Jews. How would I ever change your mind? Give me one or two tangible examples. Your false equivalency doesn't work here. We can all agree that stealing a car is bad and illegal. We will never all agree that for example Israel has the right to exist as is or that Jews don't control the financial sector. I can give you a plethora of examples of how that is not true but if you believe it is, you will ignore it.

Having LeBron James or Mike Trout state that racism is bad does nothing. I see that you are an idealist but me, a person who is not racist whatsoever sees how futile your task is. Imagine if I were a true racist? Your best bet is for evolution to take hold and people evolve out of it. Forcing it will not work IMO and just make it worse.

I watched the conversation. Was not really a debate as there was not a moderator. I think both made very valid points. I wish Roland didn't interrupt Dinesh so frequently.
That was ONLY done to correct Dinesh.

You wouldn't allow anyone to spew in-factual statements to you in a debate, would you?

Dinesh had tons of facts wrong, and/or simply not enough facts.

So Roland corrected him on that.

And he accepted that he didn't have the facts, so it was rightfully done.

Active listening means you let the person finish and then correct them. Not speak over them. You heard what you wanted to hear. Dinesh's facts were not wrong. Like the dicussion about the black caucus. Dinesh didn't even finish his train of thought when he was interrupted several times. This is where a moderator would have been helpful. Your highlighting and bolding shows your anger and aggression. Why? We are being civil here. I can read just as well if you don't do that. I am neither slow nor old. No need to "type/talk" down to me.

As long as their are humans, there will be racism. Racism isn't just White's disliking Black's due their perceived values, or lack thereof. Many lighter skinned Blacks are prejudiced against darker skinned Blacks. Many Blacks dislike Whites for being White, etc.

We judge people on a number of factors.

Looks
Dress
Skin Color
Accent
Perceived intelligence
Perceived education
House
Car
Neighborhood
etc

This question is directed, mostly, to the self-professed conservatives, Republicans and other assorted rightwingers.

The true meaning of racism is: policies or actions that would negatively impact an entire RACE of people.

It is impossible for any one person to be racist.
It is nearly impossible for any government to be racist.

What exists today is prejudice and discrimination.
Liberals have bastardized the meaning of racism because saying someone was prejudiced wasn't working.
People have an inherent right to be prejudiced.
Discrimination is primarily a natural self-defense mechanism.
Also an inherent individual right.

Every word of that post is bullshit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum List

Back