What are you reading?

I am almost always reading 4 or 5 books. I have over 1500 books inmy library, mostly non-fiction.

I started collecting Louis L'amour books 25 years ago and my kids have read them all 2-3 times. I need about 15 more to have them all. Yeah, I know, cheap westens, but they are fun.

I came home with a boxful of books this morning. Carla Neggers - what was I thinking? and James Patterson, and some Michael Palmer.

I came home with a boxful of books this morning. Carla Neggers - what was I thinking? and James Patterson, and some Michael Palmer.

Do you buy them second hand like me too? online? or on second hand book stores?

I only like books that are not printed any more..... vintage ...love those :)

Yeah, all second hand. Most of the books I have are new - I want a library, so my books need to be in excellent condition, same size, and all hardcover (preferably) or soft cover.
These ones were advertised on Facebook, so I went there this morning, intending to come home with 5 books I had already selected.

Needed a box for the 30 I eventually left with. ;)

Yeah, all second hand. Most of the books I have are new - I want a library, so my books need to be in excellent condition, same size, and all hardcover (preferably) or soft cover.
These ones were advertised on Facebook, so I went there this morning, intending to come home with 5 books I had already selected.

Needed a box for the 30 I eventually left with. ;)

ok..yes it's nice to have very old books in new condition...but I don't really care if they are not so good ...and are very hard to find and still readable ..... I have a huge library at home... love books inside and out! :)

I'll try to take a photo of my library at home soon :) ....

I am reading something all the time. Whether it is music, technical material, law, art, fitness material or any variety of subjects I am always busy. I like my life this way. I use electronic readers for the tech stuff. For fun I read fiction mainly spy novels.

My fun reading requires actual printed material such as a book, never a new book. I go to library sales or second hand stores. My favorite used book store is in Manly beach, Sydney NSW, Australia. There I go to browse and a nice lunch by the beach. There is where I acquired a used copy of The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran, my favorite author who touches my soul with his every word.

You see...paper books are my speciality....love them ....and have hundreds of them....they look beautiful ...and they give a lot of pleasure reading them.....

Not mine but...come here and talk to me about books....

am I being too grandiose? am I asking too much??????????? heck

AM I????????????????

^^^^^

No you are not. This is where I read, write music and just think sometimes.

IMG_1073_1070.jpg

I do like libraries with fireplaces..... I like that so much,,,,

edit to say I am a snob and I know it. :)

Last edited:
I read posts on USMB.

that's all you read? :( no paper books?

No, I was being facetious, but it does seem that way sometimes.

Not many paper books anymore...the public library has ebook lending and digital audiobooks...but when my bibliophilia flares, there are two used book stores in my sleepy rural town, right on the public square.

My most recent purchase was Oath of Fealty by Larry Niven which I found while searching for a book recommended by @PoliticalChic...Lucifer's Hammer by the same.

By right now I'm reading Max Brooks Zombie Survival Guide in preparation for World War Z, which my wife bought me as a set for my Birthday.

EDIT - I tried to get some opinions on http://www.usmessageboard.com/revie...since-the-unveiling-of-the-silver-screen.html...whether to watch the movie first, or read the book first...but I didn't get any takers...

Last edited:
I read cat mysteries. Midnight Louie and The Cat Who. I'm going through the Game of Thrones books. I have a lot of books, but no print books. Not one. I use a Nook and carry my library with me. I can't imagine reading a print book any more. I can adjust the size and font to suit my reading.

I read posts on USMB.

that's all you read? :( no paper books?

No, I was being facetious, but it does seem that way sometimes.

Not many paper books anymore...the public library has ebook lending and digital audiobooks...but when my bibliophilia flares, there are two used book stores in my sleepy rural town, right on the public square.

My most recent purchase was Oath of Fealty by Larry Niven which I found while searching for a book recommended by @PoliticalChic...Lucifer's Hammer by the same.

By right now I'm reading Max Brooks Zombie Survival Guide in preparation for World War Z, which my wife bought me as a set for my Birthday.

EDIT - I tried to get some opinions on http://www.usmessageboard.com/revie...since-the-unveiling-of-the-silver-screen.html...whether to watch the movie first, or read the book first...but I didn't get any takers...

whatever is close at hand :)

of course books are always more meaningful ....but movies if they are well done, help a lot in the general atmosphere and decor etc... :)

On average I read two or three a week. My wife got a Kindle from her employees a few years ago .....she had to go get another.
We use to go down to the book swap store where you return books for credit towards new titles.
But being able to finish a book,and start reading a new one without leaving the couch is pretty sweet. And no more piles of books laying around waiting to be swapped out.
And best of all....you can actually see and use my nightstand.

As far as titles and genre goes? I read a lot of fiction and my all time most memorable series had to be Lord Of The Rings. It was what really got me interested in reading.

Beyond that I'll read most anything that isnt to dry. Love getting National Geographic every month and dont believe I've missed a month in forty some odd years.

And of course the daily newspaper. Thats the one thing that will stay in paper print.
Cant seem to break that coffee and the newspaper in the morning habit,and I really dont want to.

Forum List

Back